GDT: Umass (pt. 1)

A10Ref

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right, but the point was that the refs went from calling very few fouls to calling everything a foul. In fairness, they should have called the hand touch in the Traore block at the end. They didn’t. Fouls and refs definitely caused the loss on paper. But, against the last team in the conference, I have to think we could have developed a 10 point buffer to counter against the refs.

dont care about the foul differences last night.   we gave up 90+ points to the worst team in the conference and we thought we were the best team in the conference.  ( obviously we arent. )   but trying to blame the refs for last night is wrong.   refs dont lose games to the worst team in the conference.  

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dont care about the foul differences last night.   we gave up 90+ points to the worst team in the conference and we thought we were the best team in the conference.  ( obviously we arent. )   but trying to blame the refs for last night is wrong.   refs dont lose games to the worst team in the conference.  

According to some posters, we would be undefeated, and likely first in the nation if the refs weren't biased against the Bills.

Roy, please read the Wiz's recap of last night game where he talks about how this was not an ordinary game and about all the unusual features of the FTAs that allowed Umass to win. You can find this in the GDT UMass  (pt1) thread, posted 13 hours ago (2nd page towards the bottom). Please just read what he has to say.

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Roy, please read the Wiz's recap of last night game where he talks about how this was not an ordinary game and about all the unusual features of the FTAs that allowed Umass to win. You can find this in the GDT UMass  (pt1) thread, posted 13 hours ago (2nd page towards the bottom). Please just read what he has to say.

Don't care.   We should be able to overcome 10 points of unwarranted free throws to the worst team in the conference.   We need to look at ourselves i.e. the Billikens for the real reason for this fail.

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

UMass is far from the worst team in this conference. SLU also isn’t the best. The team will finish somewhere 4-6. Last night sucked, but there’s a lot of season left. Hoping for the usual strong finish Ford’s teams have had and we’ll go from there. 

2 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

UMass is far from the worst team in this conference. SLU also isn’t the best. The team will finish somewhere 4-6. Last night sucked, but there’s a lot of season left. Hoping for the usual strong finish Ford’s teams have had and we’ll go from there. 

Yep, Umass is prob somewhere between 8-11 in the league. 

40 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Don't care.   We should be able to overcome 10 points of unwarranted free throws to the worst team in the conference.   We need to look at ourselves i.e. the Billikens for the real reason for this fail.

Y'all crazy calling u mass the worst team in the conference.

Littlebill and SLU_Lax like this

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

B’Roy Las Vegas had us as a 3.5 favorite on the road, and The Wiz had us by 5.  What is the rationale that we should have overcome 10 points on free throws in a road game?

34 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

B’Roy Las Vegas had us as a 3.5 favorite on the road, and The Wiz had us by 5.  What is the rationale that we should have overcome 10 points on free throws in a road game?

it shouldnt have come down to free throws.   we are better than that.    no way a billiken team shows up playing that defense.  embarrassing.

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This I agree with. The defensive effort was not acceptable. 

The defense Last night was gross.

We will learn a lot about this team Sunday.

If the effort is anything like Thursday, even if they win, I won’t be very excited about the rest of the year.

If they get after and lock UMass down I’ll consider Thursday a blip on the radar. 
I think they get after it and if I put any money down it will be for the Bills to win and cover and on the “under.” 

slufanskip likes this

Every time we had a chance to open up a big lead we didn't.  Two times stick out to me - GJ hits a three which would have given us a 7-8 point lead I think and Fred gets called for a moving screen.  We then went on a dry spell.  Another was when Fred stole the ball and made the worse base ever to Yuri - not even close to him which would have netted a lay up and given us a 4-5 pt lead and once again we went dry.  For whatever the reason we just did not want to win this game - no toughness shown.  Hopefully they get a better attitude on Sunday.

MattyMo213 likes this

I cannot recall 1 foul on SLU that was blatantly a bad call.   How about less moving screens that are essentially a foul and a turnover? How about not fouling a jump shooter?  How about not leaping on a pump fake 12 feet from the basket when our defender already has an 8 inch reach advantage on the shooter?  

I hope the players aren't blaming the refs and instead are focused on improvement.  We are better than last night.

almaman and Schasz like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

This I agree with. The defensive effort was not acceptable. 

We went to a zone for some reason in the second half which was really when the drives to the hoop started . Traore is still learning  basketball and okoro is not good in a  zone as he is also is not used to playing zone from his Oregon experience.  Some of it is on the scheme we went to. 

5 minutes ago, billikenblue said:

We went to a zone for some reason in the second half which was really when the drives to the hoop started . Traore is still learning  basketball and okoro is not good in a  zone as he is also is not used to playing zone from his Oregon experience.  Some of it is on the scheme we went to. 

Pretty sure this is incorrect. We were getting beat to the basket repeatedly in man to man. Went to zone to combat that. Just struggled to get rebounds in the zone. 

Honestly didn't matter though. On ball defense was poor no matter the scheme.

Littlebill likes this

23 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Pretty sure this is incorrect. We were getting beat to the basket repeatedly in man to man. Went to zone to combat that. Just struggled to get rebounds in the zone. 

Honestly didn't matter though. On ball defense was poor no matter the scheme.

Has our zone been effective all year? Not a fan. The trapping zone out front yes. But only for a couple of possessions. 

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

I cannot recall 1 foul on SLU that was blatantly a bad call.   How about less moving screens that are essentially a foul and a turnover? How about not fouling a jump shooter?  How about not leaping on a pump fake 12 feet from the basket when our defender already has an 8 inch reach advantage on the shooter?  

I hope the players aren't blaming the refs and instead are focused on improvement.  We are better than last night.

CTF hopefully pointed out their bad play in this game to them during the film review of the game. They made a lot of stupid mistakes that need to be corrected.

14 hours ago, Dr Bird said:

I can not imagine that every call the refs made either for or against us were perfect calls that would have been made on every court across the nation.  I am not knocking the refs just pointing out that home teams get borderline calls at times and the visitors do not.  

On 1/21/2022 at 10:00 AM, willie said:

I would have played without a center at least on the possession where Traore got blocked. TJ and JN both spent too much time on the bench. Also Umass didn't pressure the ball so we did not need to play Yuri and Jones at the same time. 

These moves underscore strategic blunders seen more than once this season. Just not the Spoonhour/Majerus level of team ball. If this team can get its rebounding prowess back, anything can happen. Just frustrating because every opponent wants more Jones, less Hargrove/JNezz.