GDT: Umass (pt. 1)

A10Ref

9 hours ago, Fraz said:

13-29 in 42 career conference away games simply unacceptable.

31% on the road in conference is not good, that’s for sure.  Let’s face it, winning on the road is tough.  It’s one thing though losing on the road at Dayton in front of a raucous crowd. Losing on the road to UMASS in an empty gym is unacceptable.  Not too many college basketball teams can win games though when they give up 91 points.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

31% on the road in conference is not good, that’s for sure.  Let’s face it, winning on the road is tough.  It’s one thing though losing on the road at Dayton in front of a raucous crowd. Losing on the road to UMASS in an empty gym is unacceptable.  Not too many college basketball teams can win games though when they give up 91 points.

Not too many college basketball teams can lose games though when they put up 85 points

12 hours ago, NH said:

What’s the point of having Traore in the game at all if we’re going to switch everything? It certainly can’t be for offense, given that he hasn’t scored in his last 42 minutes. 

Did you not notice Linnsen limping around all game. He was limping from the first moment he went in the game. Okoro fouled out in 20 minutes. ( which btw is why comparing per 40 minute stats with him is useless ) You can’t foul out in 20 minutes. You just can’t 

10 hours ago, Old guy said:

The full box score for this game is available now. The number of FT attempts for each half is interesting, as far as I am concerned. In the first half SLU had 6  FT attempts vs Umass with 8  FTA attempts, no problem here. However, in the  second half SLU had 14 FTA attempts vs UMass 25 FT Attempts. It appears that the refs called a significantly large number of fouls on SLU in the second half, many more than the number of fouls they called on UMass.

In the second half Umass made 25 FT points vs 13 FT points made by SLU. That was the game right there.

That’s because we fouled them every time they drove to the basket 

HoosierPal and Dr Bird like this

52 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Did you not notice Linnsen limping around all game. He was limping from the first moment he went in the game. Okoro fouled out in 20 minutes. ( which btw is why comparing per 40 minute stats with him is useless ) You can’t foul out in 20 minutes. You just can’t 

Rammer said Linssen is battling through multiple injuries to his left leg.  He said he was about 90%.  He was on a minutes restriction.

This is our second game in a row with zero blocked shots.  Ah, memories of a French Rejection....

slufanskip likes this

37 minutes ago, eastsidejoe said:

The game plan was to drive them off the three point line, which we kind of did (they average 26 three attempts and took 20 last night).  They were driving and we were fouling.

9 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I think we can finally close the case on Rashad's minutes. He doesn't have a place on this team and it showed last night. 

The last of those attempts was almost symbolic as to why he doesn’t play 

Bills By 40 likes this

18 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

I think we can finally close the case on Rashad's minutes. He doesn't have a place on this team and it showed last night. 

This brings up an interesting issue.  This is not a comment on Williiams, just an open question on rules.  SLU is his third school.  Can an athlete transfer four times and be immediately eligible?  Williams had to get a waiver for immediate playing time at SLU, I believe. 

Does the NCAA care anymore?

54 minutes ago, eastsidejoe said:

Right, but the point was that the refs went from calling very few fouls to calling everything a foul. In fairness, they should have called the hand touch in the Traore block at the end. They didn’t. Fouls and refs definitely caused the loss on paper. But, against the last team in the conference, I have to think we could have developed a 10 point buffer to counter against the refs.

A10Ref likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I would have played without a center at least on the possession where Traore  got blocked. TJ and JN both spent too much time on the bench. Also Umass didn't pressure the ball so we did not need to play Yuri and Jones at the same time. 

9 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Right, but the point was that the refs went from calling very few fouls to calling everything a foul. In fairness, they should have called the hand touch in the Traore block at the end. They didn’t. Fouls and refs definitely caused the loss on paper. But, against the last team in the conference, I have to think we could have developed a 10 point buffer to counter against the refs.

I watched a different game than you did.  In my opinion the fouls called against us in the second half we’re mostly legit.  We can’t guard without fouling 

56 minutes ago, eastsidejoe said:

It is true the refs called those fouls, the question is were the refs foul calls justified or not? Were the comments made by Ford after the game the way to handle this loss? Not long ago, a loud argument between Ford and Hargrove was mentioned. I do not like the way things are going with Team Blue.

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Were the comments made by Ford after the game the way to handle this loss? Not long ago, a loud argument between Ford and Hargrove was mentioned. I do not like the way things are going with Team Blue.

I don't like that I'm hearing about and reading things like this after nearly EVERY loss. 

At one point do we all admit 4 things.

1. Ford can't coach, and this team has no defensive identity anymore (longing for RickMa)

2. Yuri stuffs the stat sheet, but turns the ball over and makes dumb decisions in crunch time

3. Recruiting (supposed to be Ford's strong suit) still gets blitzed by Dayton every year

4. Every A10 team always has some rando player that tears us up (fernandes) because again, of coaching...

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I did notice Linssen limping around all game. I'm just saying that if youre going to switch every matchup on defense, then there's no point in having Traore in there. He becomes a liability on both sides of the ball if he has to guard on the perimeter. If we wanted to switch everything we may as well have put Nesbitt or Jones or Strickland in there if that's the strategy.

Or we could've just not switched the Traore matchup.

1 minute ago, NH said:

I did notice Linssen limping around all game. I'm just saying that if youre going to switch every matchup on defense, then there's no point in having Traore in there. He becomes a liability on both sides of the ball if he has to guard on the perimeter. If we wanted to switch everything we may as well have put Nesbitt or Jones or Strickland in there if that's the strategy.

Or we could've just not switched the Traore matchup.

That's a good point but that leaves us with no 5, but you're probably right that would have been a better solution 

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

It is true the refs called those fouls, the question is were the refs foul calls justified or not? Were the comments made by Ford after the game the way to handle this loss? Not long ago, a loud argument between Ford and Hargrove was mentioned. I do not like the way things are going with Team Blue.

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I’m still wondering what that was all about.

Did Ford tell him to jack it up whenever he touched the ball or did he just decide “this is my only opportunity to play I’m going to let it fly.” 

AnkielBreakers likes this

Giving Coach Ford through next season to see results.  If not then Dr. Chaifetz and I start coaching search.   Got that sinking feeling that OSU under performance is what he is. 

BilliesBy40 likes this