GDT: Ram Tough

Taj79

4 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I think they're saying both hurt. I don't think they're disagreeing with you

Exactly. I’m saying no matter how slu spins this, attendance will be an issue until cases are low. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

ahh got it. Yeah I just don't see us getting more fans until March

every game televised, various mandates, enforced not enforced, high priced low quality concessions, all this leaves little incentive to attend, i dont see attendance coming back much this year

wgstl likes this

35 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

every game televised, various mandates, enforced not enforced, high priced low quality concessions, all this leaves little incentive to attend, i dont see attendance coming back much this year

And here I thought Guy Philips was the sole reason for the dip in attendance. 

Fraz likes this

19 minutes ago, willie said:

You do know Guy hasn’t been there the last 2 games. 

Shhhh.  You'll jinx it.   

RUBillsFan and brianstl like this

I just read the long discussion about regulations and attendance levels at the Chaifetz. In reality, it does not matter what the reason for the low attendance is (I assume there are multiple reasons), what really matters is the level of revenue generated by  the Chaifetz. I have no idea if the Chaifetz has a full schedule of non sports performances this year or not, nor the level of attendance to these other events. Prior to Covid the Chaifetz had a much higher attendance levels for basketball games, and a reasonably full schedule of non sports performances and events. I believe it generated significant level of yearly profits. After Covid hit, this does not appear to be the case.

From a numbers point of view, the Chaifetz needs to be paid for a certain % of the seats available for any event they hold (whether the seats are occupied or not, like it happens when someone with paid season tickets does not show up) in order to cover the fixed costs associated with holding an event and maintaining the arena. Again, I have no idea what this % may be but suspect that an average attendance level of 4000 to 5000 people does not cover expenses. This is both bad and not sustainable in a long term basis.

dennis_w likes this

12 hours ago, wgstl said:

denial? What? Lol.  You sorta just answered this convo for me. You’re saying 1/4 is not vaxxed, so only a quarter of ppl are not going to be happy with the requirements to watch SLU. Are you aware that’s there’s also a large bunch( SLUs crowd as an older crowd) who don’t want to be around ppl who are not vaxxed?

only a quarter?????????? that's a substantial number....unreal the thought process...how about giving up a quarter of your income, would you notice it?????

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

I just read the long discussion about regulations and attendance levels at the Chaifetz. In reality, it does not matter what the reason for the low attendance is (I assume there are multiple reasons), what really matters is the level of revenue generated by  the Chaifetz. I have no idea if the Chaifetz has a full schedule of non sports performances this year or not, nor the level of attendance to these other events. Prior to Covid the Chaifetz had a much higher attendance levels for basketball games, and a reasonably full schedule of non sports performances and events. I believe it generated significant level of yearly profits. After Covid hit, this does not appear to be the case.

From a numbers point of view, the Chaifetz needs to be paid for a certain % of the seats available for any event they hold (whether the seats are occupied or not, like it happens when someone with paid season tickets does not show up) in order to cover the fixed costs associated with holding an event and maintaining the arena. Again, I have no idea what this % may be but suspect that an average attendance level of 4000 to 5000 people does not cover expenses. This is both bad and not sustainable in a long term basis.

I know that the parking fees for games and all concessions go to retire the bond.  I have no idea how the financials work.

21 hours ago, cheeseman said:

All I know is that a friend of mine worked at that table and it is a just few rows away from where I sit.  I always talked to him before games and I did not see him there at any of the games so far.  When he told me about them being moved he did not say when that happened but when I did see him sort of my accident a few games ago and asked why they were moved he told what I posted.  Now maybe I should have inquired more but it really wasn't that big of a deal to me.  

Guess we sit close to each other.  I wondered why they took the tables away.  

24 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

only a quarter?????????? that's a substantial number....unreal the thought process...how about giving up a quarter of your income, would you notice it?????

You keep missing exactly what I’m saying, and I’m starting to believe it’s on purpose. If it was just a quarter you’d be right. It’s not, you’re missing the counter side of that which helps offset those numbers - which is my point.  

look you’re picking a fight with some who is not happy about the mandate and the protocols, I think it’s stupid.  But it’s annoying hearing biased people from both sides on this issue. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

You keep missing exactly what I’m saying, and I’m starting to believe it’s on purpose. If it was just a quarter you’d be right. It’s not, you’re missing the counter side of that which helps offset those numbers - which is my point.  

look you’re picking a fight with some who is not happy about the mandate and the protocols, I think it’s stupid.  But it’s annoying hearing biased people from both sides on this issue. 

all i did is present the facts, and you dismissed them...were you trying to pick a fight???? here are some more facts, continued low attendance is going to be detrimental to the success of the Billiken basketball program going forward...i hope you are as understanding when that happens...

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

all i did is present the facts, and you dismissed them...were you trying to pick a fight???? here are some more facts, continued low attendance is going to be detrimental to the success of the Billiken basketball program going forward...i hope you are as understanding when that happens...

No doubt low attendance is bad for the program, but you haven't presented anything other than anecdotal evidence of yourself and couple other MBMs who are unhappy with the vaccine mandates to show that the vaccine mandates are the reason for poor attendance.

6 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

No doubt low attendance is bad for the program, but you haven't presented anything other than anecdotal evidence of yourself and couple other MBMs who are unhappy with the vaccine mandates to show that the vaccine mandates are the reason for poor attendance.

Attendance is down across the board. Every school, outside the perennial sell-out schools, is feeling this. I watched a great Big 12 game the other night, two well-above .500 schools, and there were about 2-4k people in the stands.

29 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

None of that are facts lol. Those are called opinions. 

RUBillsFan and Ironbills like this

8 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

slu could put this to rest by telling us how many cancelled their tickets, if very few that would be an endorsement of their vax rules

I wish they would so we could know, but there’s no reason for them to do that .

@BIG BILL FAN  i don't think anyone is disputing that vaccine mandates are one reason attendance is lower. It obviously is causing some fans not to attend who would've attended otherwise. 

People are just pointing out that the reverse is also true that there are some people who wouldn't attend before the vaccine/negative test requirement who now feel more comfortable. 

That's OK if you disagree with the second group but they certainly exist whether you agree or not. The point being it's more likely to be a combination of factors, many of which are related to COVID, than SOLELY the vaccine/negative test requirement leading to low attendance.