GDT: Ram Tough

Taj79

44 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

They are not showing up because of the mandate... many, even if they are vaccinated, are not comfortable having their young children and teens vaccinated.... it’s that simple....

I would guess that is part of the puzzle.  I would also bet that may of the missing fans are those who do not feel comfortable/safe being in a crowded venue during a pandemic.  

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

hard to come up with evidence without polling those that dont attend or having slu release number of season ticket cancellations and refunds

Here's some evidence...I would have been at the game but was told I wasn't welcome because I refuse to show my papers. They can do as they choose, but the hypocrisy is maddening. By the way, my promised prompt refund has yet to be received. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, Billfan7 said:

I would guess that is part of the puzzle.  I would also bet that may of the missing fans are those who do not feel comfortable/safe being in a crowded venue during a pandemic.  

Agreed.  In the best of circumstances, how many fans show up to watch Fordham?  Take what a game would draw normally, subtract 20% for COVID phobia, and I'm sure you'll get something approximating current attendance figures.

Billfan7 and RUBillsFan like this

52 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

They are not showing up because of the mandate... many, even if they are vaccinated, are not comfortable having their young children and teens vaccinated.... it’s that simple....

Kids under 12 are exempt from the vaccination mandate at Chaifetz and anyone scared of needles could just show a negative test instead of being vaccinated.

Blues attendance has been pretty good all season with a vax mandate in place.  I can’t see why SLU attendance would somehow be affected, but not the Blues. 

@dennis_wis absolutely right though.  We don’t have any evidence either way.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Kids under 12 are exempt from the vaccination mandate at Chaifetz and anyone scared of needles could just show a negative test instead of being vaccinated.

Blues attendance has been pretty good all season with a vax mandate in place.  I can’t see why SLU attendance would somehow be affected, but not the Blues. 

Blues fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports.

billiken_roy likes this

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Blues fans are some of the most loyal fans in all of sports.

this.   

imo the attendance numbers demonstrate what is true hardcore fans.   i wouldnt go to any sporting event with the worthless rules the billikens have in place EXCEPT the billikens.   i agree with 3 star you have the same thing going on with the blues.   they just have a larger rabid fan base than we do.

washington dc just ramped up their stupid nonsensical chinese flu virus rules and after planning for 2 years to go to the conference tourney we have pretty much junked that now.  we will head to florida instead for those 5 days and enjoy our time unbothered by the nonsense.  

AGB91 likes this

15 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed.  In the best of circumstances, how many fans show up to watch Fordham?  Take what a game would draw normally, subtract 20% for COVID phobia, and I'm sure you'll get something approximating current attendance figures.

This.  If me or anyone in my house gets COVID, I can’t send my kid to daycare for at least 10 days & my other kid might miss a bunch of school.   I know we aren’t likely to wind up hospitalized or worse, but the very slim chances of that coupled with the much more realistic chance of missing 10+ days of work means it isn’t worth going to the game in person.  I’ll just watch SLU on my TV until the Omicron surge is over.

33 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

hard to come up with evidence without polling those that dont attend or having slu release number of season ticket cancellations and refunds

Well  the same attendance requirements doesn't seem to be significantly impacting the Blues.  Their avg. attendance for this year is in line with their previous recent years - obviously excluding the bubble year.

45 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

It is apparent that the slu management does not believe their own mandates based on few fans wearing masks and the mask mandate is not enforced. this is based on television shots of the fans along with unmasked coaching staff. i personally am not driving to see a game in person and jump thru the hoops, i will watch at home

Well the Blues don't enforce the mask mandate either.  Right or wrong that seems to be the path sporting teams are following that require a vaccine or negative test requirement in the US.  The key point is you can not get in without this proof but wearing a mask or not does not have any relevancy on the question that was poised.  

24 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Here's some evidence...I would have been at the game but was told I wasn't welcome because I refuse to show my papers. They can do as they choose, but the hypocrisy is maddening. By the way, my promised prompt refund has yet to be received. 

This is antidotal - not evidence.  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this.   

imo the attendance numbers demonstrate what is true hardcore fans.   i wouldnt go to any sporting event with the worthless rules the billikens have in place EXCEPT the billikens.   i agree with 3 star you have the same thing going on with the blues.   they just have a larger rabid fan base than we do.

washington dc just ramped up their stupid nonsensical chinese flu virus rules and after planning for 2 years to go to the conference tourney we have pretty much junked that now.  we will head to florida instead for those 5 days and enjoy our time unbothered by the nonsense.  

Speaking of DC, there were maybe 500 people at the Georgetown game a few days ago.

29 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The funny thing about yesterday was that the courtside seats were mostly full for the first time all year - even Chaifetz graced us with his and his son's presence.  They were so full that they added a new half section (at least new to me) of courtside seats to the left of the basket on the end where the bills sit behind the dance team cheer squad

24 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This.  If me or anyone in my house gets COVID, I can’t send my kid to daycare for at least 10 days & my other kid might miss a bunch of school.   I know we aren’t likely to wind up hospitalized or worse, but the very slim chances of that coupled with the much more realistic chance of missing 10+ days of work means it isn’t worth going to the game in person.  I’ll just watch SLU on my TV until the Omicron surge is over.

The reason I haven’t gone to the past 3 games. 

RUBillsFan likes this

2 hours ago, Gremio14 said:

I’ve witnessed some obnoxious opposition fans in Chaifetz over the past few years, but those three ladies from Fordham take the cake.  The cute one in the middle needs to try out for the female lead in Phantom of the Opera. Took over 103 by screaming nonstop for the entire second half…her voice never dropped an octave…

I guess it depends on what you mean by "obnoxious."  We were sitting two rows in front of them - directly in front of them.  Yes, we got an earful.  But it was pretty obvious from early on that they are current students at Fordham.  They actually go to class with the players and know them on a first name basis.  When we finally turned around after the game and met them, it wasn't surprising that they were all decked out in Fordham clothing.  Isn't that what every school wants from their "student section" - loud, enthusiastic, non-stop support?  They never made a critical or inappropriate comment about the Billikens or any Billiken player.  We had a great conversation with them after the game.  As we guessed, one of them is from St. Louis (Nerinx High - the one in the middle).  She brought her two roommates to St. Louis for the game and to show them around town (took them to the Hill to compare St. Louis' best Italian restaurants to New York's).  Dad (a U High graduate) got them the tickets and was there with them.  I was impressed with their enthusiasm.  There were 3 young boys sitting in front of us.  We told them it was their job as Billiken fans to "out-cheer" the Fordham fans.  It really got the boys into the game (for a while).  At one point one the boys turned around and "booed" the Fordham fans.  The dad did a great job of using it as a teaching moment and talked to the boys about the difference between negative fans and positive fans, and a good fan is only a positive fan who cheers positively for his or her team.  Without those three young ladies those boys would not have learned that lesson.  The three young ladies were only positive fans.  Let the kids be kids, they were just having fun and being supportive of their team.

There would be an attendance drop if SLU mandated the vaccine or didn’t mandate it. If it wasn’t mandated, a certain percentage of the fan base likely wouldn’t feel safe and likely wouldn’t attend. They were in a lose-lose situation.

To everyone that isn’t going because of the mandate and “showing papers”, you can get a rapid test at the arena. It takes ten minutes.  

hmart23 and BrockL like this

19 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Is everyone happy that Ford isn’t pulling guys fir making horrible turnovers?

Not sure what game you saw he was in full yank mode the entire game.   Nesbit, okoro, traore, hargrove and Strickland got immediately yanked after mistakes.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

this.   

I have been a season ticket holder for 30 years, for most of that time with 5 tickets. It was really tough decision to make. Aside from the rampant,  illogical hypocrisy, when we have spent the past 2 years terrorizing people, is it any wonder attendance is way down? We are reaping what we sowed.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

45 minutes ago, Billfan7 said:

The funny thing about yesterday was that the courtside seats were mostly full for the first time all year - even Chaifetz graced us with his and his son's presence.  They were so full that they added a new half section (at least new to me) of courtside seats to the left of the basket on the end where the bills sit behind the dance team cheer squad

Those seats were added at the beginning of the season.  I was told by the data keepers that they were moved to in front of the band - they hate it - because Rex Singfeld (?) bought all those seats so they had to find a place for more VIP seating.

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You have a formula of two mandates, a variant surge, Fordham, snow, a relatively expensive event for a family and a team that has lost their marquee games at home……..

You get the attendance you had yesterday.

Excellent points - fair observations.

56 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

how many cancellations become evidence and not just anecdotal? would that 10 or 50 would it need to be 1000? at least we know why henryb is not attending, that is evidence

I did not go yesterday because of the weather - the person I was going with and who was driving did not want to go so we stayed home and watched on TV.  Lots of reasons for why people go or don't go.  Any amount of supposed antidotal information can not be considered as true evidence unless random interviews are being conducted and the same questions being asked of everyone with an adequate sample size that would be supported by testing norms.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

That just proves what phony asses they are. If unvaccinated people over 12 present a danger, then so do those under 12... they should be banned as well by their standards....