2022 Baby Race Smack Talk Thread

rgbilliken

One time baby race Dad here.  I recommend this product (https://www.hushhats.com/) or something similar to drown out crowd noise along with possibly some kind of blinder setup to block the kid's peripheral vision.  Biggest mistake babies make (mine included) is not getting off the starting block because they are too distracted often by the baby in the lane next to them.  🤣

rgbilliken likes this

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

One time baby race Dad here.  I recommend this product (https://www.hushhats.com/) or something similar to drown out crowd noise along with possibly some kind of blinder setup to block the kid's peripheral vision.  Biggest mistake babies make (mine included) is not getting off the starting block because they are too distracted often by the baby in the lane next to them.  🤣

Maybe a little dose of Lasix also. 

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

That was my son's problem 11 years ago.  There were like 12 babies in the race, and they put him on the end.  As soon as I saw the camera man come set up next to us right  before the race started, I knew it was over.  All he did was want to stare at or move toward the camera.  Still a good time, though.  Good luck RGBilliken and WGSTL.

• 2 weeks later...

Baby Race 2022 Recap:

@RUBillsFan was dead on. My kid was on an outside lane and got distracted and crawled about two feet then sat there staring at the sideline entertainment. I dont think he ever saw me at the other end trying to get his attention. 

Fastest baby I've ever seen won the race. Had to be a ringer. Took off instantly and booked it to the other end in a straight line. If I'm a slu coach I'm offering for the class of 2040 on the spot. 

One baby stood up in the middle and started walking...immediate disqualification IMO. I think she got second though. 

All in all one of the best halftime shows around. I might have another kid just to enter again. Knowing what I know now, the kids were seeded from left to right alphabetically by first name. Next kid I'm naming closer to the middle of the alphabet to get a better lane. 

Screenshot_20220124-112334_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20220124-112411_Messages.jpg

23 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Baby Race 2022 Recap:

@RUBillsFan was dead on. My kid was on an outside lane and got distracted and crawled about two feet then sat there staring at the sideline entertainment. I dont think he ever saw me at the other end trying to get his attention. 

Fastest baby I've ever seen won the race. Had to be a ringer. Took off instantly and booked it to the other end in a straight line. If I'm a slu coach I'm offering for the class of 2040 on the spot. 

One baby stood up in the middle and started walking...immediate disqualification IMO. I think she got second though. 

All in all one of the best halftime shows around. I might have another kid just to enter again. Knowing what I know now, the kids were seeded from left to right alphabetically by first name. Next kid I'm naming closer to the middle of the alphabet to get a better lane. 

We have already begun watching Clyde's film in preparation for 2023's race. Weekly film sessions will start including the athlete Feb 23

34 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Baby Race 2022 Recap:

this is hillarious.   i always love the annual baby race.   nice plan to name your child for a better lane.   your baby wasnt the one next to the billiken was it?   the billiken slid out to the floor when the race started and i thought that was definitely a distraction.   whoever is playing the billiken definitely doesnt have kids or they would have known how distracted that was to the nearby baby.   

i definitely agree the stander should have been disqualified. wasnt the stander also the one where the mom was crawling along with the baby?   i thought that was disqualification grounds as well.    probably they should have banned the baby from the arena for being a ringer.   

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this is hillarious.   i always love the annual baby race.   nice plan to name your child for a better lane.   your baby wasnt the one next to the billiken was it?   the billiken slid out to the floor when the race started and i thought that was definitely a distraction.   whoever is playing the billiken definitely doesnt have kids or they would have known how distracted that was to the nearby baby.   

i definitely agree the stander should have been disqualified. wasnt the stander also the one where the mom was crawling along with the baby?   i thought that was disqualification grounds as well.    probably they should have banned the baby from the arena for being a ringer.   

It's funny.  On one hand, if someone is a stickler for rules (parents staying behind the starting line / finish line, babies not standing/walking) you're like "umm guys this is a baby race, don't take it so seriously."  On the other hand, there are $100s of cash prizes available, so yeah if my kid finishes 4th and doesn't get the $150 savings bond or whatever because the walker isn't disqualified I'm kinda pissed.

rgbilliken likes this

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Parents leaving the start or finish line area would definitely be grounds for disqualification. I didn't see the whole race because they only showed Baby Bolt, but that should be an immediate DQ. Same for a walking baby. Nice try, old baby.

rgbilliken likes this

53 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes it was the same baby as the mom who crawled alongside her baby halfway!!! DQ and banned from future competitions.

YES my kid was on the end right by the billiken. Shoulda got the baby blinders as one poster suggested.

It's OK the real fun was the friends we made along the way. My two year old has been asking me "where'd the billiken go" ever since we left the game and i almost cried of joy how much she liked him.

37 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Yes it was the same baby as the mom who crawled alongside her baby halfway!!! DQ and banned from future competitions.

YES my kid was on the end right by the billiken. Shoulda got the baby blinders as one poster suggested.

It's OK the real fun was the friends we made along the way. My two year old has been asking me "where'd the billiken go" ever since we left the game and i almost cried of joy how much she liked him.

-clearly Rachel is doing a wonderful job raising Perry if Perry likes The Billiken, most kids are scared out of their wits at a sighting - well done, rgbilliken!

-probably has something to do with your attendance at the K-St game in your very pregnant condition

rgbilliken likes this