The Bills and Dayton Even

The Wiz

Box Score review:

Rebounds:  UD 34 SLU 28, and UD had 12 ORB.

Turnovers:  SLU 15 UD 12

Steals:  UD 8 SLU 1

Bench Points:  UD 18 SLU 10

Now the review of the men in striped shirts:  From the field, SLU outscored Dayton 53-51.  Dayton, shooting 26 free throws, outscored SLU at the free throw line 17-10.  Fouls:  SLU 20 UD 13.

Both teams had 5 Blocks, although it sure seemed like Dayton was a shot blocking force.

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

A tough loss because this was a winnable game.

Let's take a look and see what happened.  Bolded phrases are from my original post.

Their home field advantage is best in the A-10 with an added 4.72 pts....This wasn't the only reason we lost but it matches up nicely with the even spread and a 5 pt loss.

TOs ...We need to make sure they have more TOs than us by forcing them to turn it over....We didn't...lost the TO battle 15-12...We also have to protect the ball...we didn't... the main issue is that we not get careless and give it away...we did...4+ TO diff and we win....instead we had 3 extra TOs  and lost...so what does this mean?...we get 10pts on TOs...they get 17 pts on TOs...7pt diff in a 5 pt loss

46/36/77...actual slash 42/ 56/83...this is actual worse than it looks...the actual 2P% shooting was 36%...44.5%  or less is F-....we needed 3 more 2PM to get up to F-....6pts in a 5pt loss.

They will try to keep the score low...score at least 70....the more we go over 70 the better chance we have to win. ....needed 7 more pts in a 5 pt loss

Hold Holmes, Camara and Smith to 24pts. ...we fell a little short here ...they scored 30....6pts  extra in a 5pt loss

we need to beat them on the boards even if it is just by 1. ...reb was weak...we lost the reb battle 34-28...3 extra Off rebs and 3 extra Def rebs for Day...whether that meant 3 extra chances for them or 3 extra for us ...let's look at 2nd chance pts ...Day 11pts..The Bills...2pts....9 extra pts for Day in a 5 pt loss.

And that's why this was a tough loss...not just 1 chance to win but many.

But it wasn't all gloom and doom...we saw the return of the 3 pt bomb led by Jimerson (23pts) and Hargrove(14pts) who had a stunning shooting night from the arc combining for  78% (7-9)...Okoro got 8 reb and Yuri got 9 assists....again these were all good things ...we just needed 1 more good thing ....choose from the list above.

Dayton did not win this game...we lost it.   Can we fix 1 of the above by Feb 5 ( Flyers  at the Fetz that day) ?  If the answer is yes , then we will win...if we fix more than 1 thing, we can whup them.

This is the second time the team fell apart in a hostile environment.

The home environment will make a difference on the return visit.

Jones needs to stop being so tentative.  When I listened to Bob and Earl they said when he was open he was passing up shots.  For Jones to be effective he must shoot because he will never be the assist player that Yuri is.  Jones has the ability and is a senior and can shoot his way out of his slump, Hargrove did last night.

I like the fight with this team they never gave up. I would like to see more full court like they played at the end of the game.

9 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Box Score review:

Now the review of the men in striped shirts:  From the field, SLU outscored Dayton 53-51.  Dayton, shooting 26 free throws, outscored SLU at the free throw line 17-10.  Fouls:  SLU 20 UD 13.

Both teams had 5 Blocks, although it sure seemed like Dayton was a shot blocking force.

Four of our fouls were in the last 49 seconds, five of our fouls were in the last 1:54 and six in the last 2:06 when we were being very aggressive and/or fouling on purpose.

21 minutes ago, CBFan said:

This is the second time the team fell apart in a hostile environment.

The home environment will make a difference on the return visit.

Jones needs to stop being so tentative.  When I listened to Bob and Earl they said when he was open he was passing up shots.  For Jones to be effective he must shoot because he will never be the assist player that Yuri is.  Jones has the ability and is a senior and can shoot his way out of his slump, Hargrove did last night.

I like the fight with this team they never gave up. I would like to see more full court like they played at the end of the game.

he didn't seem wide open to me.

7 minutes ago, almaman said:

I remember two occasions where the defender went under the screen and he was wide open. Maybe he's not supposed to take those in the flow of the offense but I feel like he could have buried them. 

35 minutes ago, almaman said:

In Bob and Earl I trust they said it on 2 occasions in the first half, I was not watching at the time.

imo the reffing was ok.   in fact i think we got a few calls we didnt deserve.  imo that one call where they reviewed, it sure looked like it was out on jimmerson to me.   yet they gave the billikens the ball.  there also were a couple of travels i though we didnt get called.   as to fouls, we have been mugged more by iona saturday then we did last night.   i refuse to blame last night on referees.   the billikens lost all on their own. 

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You can continue to believe that everything you read on the internet is true.

I'm not necessarily saying the refs cost us the game, but it's pretty obvious Yuri is THE key player for SLU.  If he's in foul trouble, we are in big trouble.  The refs called some questionable touch fouls on him while Dayton was more aggressive defending on the ball & didn't get called for much.

Yuri picks up his 4th foul with 11:14 left in the 2nd half and the score is 43-40 Dayton.  I'm not exactly sure when he came back into the game, but SLU was down 15 (57-42) by the time he was involved in the ESPN play-by-play again at 6:09 left.  Dayton actually went up 57-42 with 8:17 left in the 2nd half followed by a 2+ minute scoring drought.  That means that in less than 3 minutes with Yuri off the floor Dayton outscored SLU by 12.

Yuri then played until he fouled out with 1:55 left and the score 65-56 Dayton.  SLU outscored Dayton by 6 during that stretch.

Overall Yuri was a 0 in the +/- in a game we lost by 5.  I think that undersells his importance because we "won" those last 2ish minutes after Yuri fouled out by 4.  All that time was essentially Dayton trying to run out the clock, shooting poorly at the FT line & then giving up easier looks on offense because they didn't want to foul.

All this was in a game that Yuri really didn't even play well before fouling out.