GDT - The Gaels

Fraz

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This a a huge pet peeve of mine.  Just because the # of fouls called on each team are close to equal does not mean the refs were good or that the game was called “fair” (ex: refs sucked but were bad both ways so it evened out). If one team plays a  is hyper aggressive / physical defense like Iona, you’d expect them to have more fouls called.  Refs tend to call more fouls on drives to the hoop / in the paint than on jump shots, so you’d expect the team who scores in the paint more & takes fewer 3s to draw more fouls.  SLU took fewer 3s and scores in the paint more.  SLU also intentionally fouled once at the end of the game.  21 fouls were called on Iona and 20 were called on SLU.  IMO it should not have been that close.

We were pretty aggressive also.  

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The refs generally try to give equal number of fouls to the opposing teams during a game. This is fine as long as both teams are playing in a similar fashion. When one team like Iona is playing a Chaka Smart like defense, totally submerging the opposite team and using constant physical contact, and the other is not playing with the same intensity, the system of giving the roughly the same amount of fouls per team per game becomes highly inaccurate. Such a system favors the team using constant physical contact and penalizes the other team. This may have been the situation last night.

Equality in fouls is inaccurate when one team plays the way described above.

As I said before both teams were playing aggressively.  The refs do not normally try to give an equal amount of fouls to both teams.  The home team usually is favored get the benefit from the refs - not right but that is what often happen.  I try to not be a homer when it comes to the refs but sometimes they are just one sided but not last night.  I did think they called some ticky tack fouls against us in the last 10 minutes or so.  Given that they did that it does make the perceived non calls stick out in some minds.  Iona protected the basket well and we have had problems this year finishing so it was magnified last night.

25 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

It does seem like his yank is quicker with TJ then others. He pulled him when he stepped on the side line early in the game. I am not a great  fan of pulling players after they make a mistake. But that’s what coaches do. 

Just now, willie said:

It does seem like his yank is quicker with TJ then others. He pulled him when he stepped on the side line early in the game. I am not a great  fan of pulling players after they make a mistake. But that’s what coaches do. 

agree with everything here. 

4 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I was wondering when someone would bring this up. A little surprising that TJ went back at coach. Usually he's so positive. 

This happened a couple of games ago.  Can’t remember what game,probably Auburn.  To Ford’s credit he put him back in fairly quickly.  

12 minutes ago, willie said:

I agree. I’d say Nesbitt is probably in the same category too. A lot of different from guys like Yuri and Fred

57 minutes ago, DOC said:

Coach and TJ had a heated exchange last night. Coach Nunez did a nice job of getting in between them and ushering TJ away. After the timeout Ford was still getting after TJ pretty good. They had a similar moment last game.

This started as a result of something an Iona players said or did to TJ. TJ was already loosing it before Ford intervened. 

1 hour ago, DOC said:

Coach and TJ had a heated exchange last night. Coach Nunez did a nice job of getting in between them and ushering TJ away. After the timeout Ford was still getting after TJ pretty good. They had a similar moment last game.

Hey now! what'sup with  that?

2 hours ago, willie said:

This happened a couple of games ago.  Can’t remember what game,probably Auburn.  To Ford’s credit he put him back in fairly quickly.  

Devils advocate: I don’t think it’s out of line to say TJ plays with a lot of emotion & wears those emotions on his sleeve at times.  Sometimes pulling a guy after a mistake may not be about scolding him for the mistake, but letting him have time to re-focus instead of potentially getting down on himself over mistakes & having them compound.  Perfect example of this was Okoro early be Iona.

TJ averages the 3rd most minutes on the team.  It’s not like he gets buried on the bench after a mistake.

gabriel, A10Ref and Fraz like this

4 hours ago, DOC said:

That was because TJ was ready to get into it with someone from the other team. Coach was basically telling him to be smart and don’t do that.  TJ was really fired up.  The other coach pulled his aside and settled him down.  It took a bit TJ was pretty pissed.  

45 minutes ago, Slowry said:

That was because TJ was ready to get into it with someone from the other team. Coach was basically telling him to be smart and don’t do that.  TJ was really fired up.  The other coach pulled his aside and settled him down.  It took a bit TJ was pretty pissed.  

Ford and TJ are both emotional guys. You can even see this in the two hugs they shared after the game.

I remember being in Brooklyn during the SLU Davidson A10 tourney game and seeing Goodwin and Ford get into it with each other. I’m sure that wasn’t the first time we’ve had a player go at Ford and I doubt this latest instance will be the last.