GDT - The Gaels

Fraz

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I've been thinking about this problem.  A few possible solutions. 

1. We've seen already D. Jones on the floor at the same time as YC. 2 ball handlers.  But now we have 2 players that don't score too often.   But YC is having some good offensive games so maybe this is option 1.

2. Pull the 2 defenders with you away from the basket (careful not to allow the trap on the line).  3 team mates move into position to receive the ball.   Most teams won't allow all defenders to move away from the basket 

3. Spread it out, this 1 is not as viable an option with SLU shooting a low % from 3.

4. Possibly overload 1 side of the court and I'd put Nesbitt on the other side as he's the best at creating his own shot.  Try to rotate the ball quickly to the open man in iso.

TJ has lost his 3 point shot. If he can find it ,it would help open up the floor. 

14 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

I've been thinking about this problem.  A few possible solutions. 

1. We've seen already D. Jones on the floor at the same time as YC. 2 ball handlers.  But now we have 2 players that don't score too often.   But YC is having some good offensive games so maybe this is option 1.

2. Pull the 2 defenders with you away from the basket (careful not to allow the trap on the line).  3 team mates move into position to receive the ball.   Most teams won't allow all defenders to move away from the basket 

3. Spread it out, this 1 is not as viable an option with SLU shooting a low % from 3.

4. Possibly overload 1 side of the court and I'd put Nesbitt on the other side as he's the best at creating his own shot.  Try to rotate the ball quickly to the open man in iso.

With Perkins out a solution is not that easy to come up with.  Nesbit has to continue to develop and that may be the only real solution that we can hope for.  If Nesbit does not step on the out of bounds line then that 3 ptr counts and this is a different ball game.  Leading by 5 at that point of the game cause Iona to play a completely different approach.  

We have been blocked too many times this year and that is something we are going to have to figure out - either not get blocked or make sure you get fouled so you at least get FTs.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

According to Ford on the radio after the game, Fred admitted he screwed up on that play.

What Fred needed to do was get to the center of the court and go right down mainstreet, straight angle to the front of the rim. By taking a diagonal path he gave a very good shot blocker the chance to make a great block. 

41 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

We have been blocked too many times this year and that is something we are going to have to figure out - either not get blocked or make sure you get fouled so you at least get FTs.

Last night we got fouled frequently but the refs did not call the fouls, nothing you can do about it. Iona is a really good, tough team and played a really disruptive, tough game last night. Yes, Iona tried their best to neutralize Yuri and JImerson, and I think they made the game very difficult for them. We managed to beat them, against all odds, and I think this is wonderful.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I bet Gibson is hurting this morning.  He took a beating last night.

Totally.  

When teams are grabbing / bumping Gibson on every action while not getting called for fouls, I’d love to see him be the aggressor & start pushing off / bumping or pushing his defender into screens to create space for himself.  Worst case you get called for an offensive foul & make a plea to the refs to watch the defenders grabbing / bumping.  Gibson averages the fewest fouls per 40 mins on the team so I’m not worried about him picking up too many fouls.

That being said he was a team high +13 last night.  Single game +/- can be kind of funky, but I think it shows that even if he didn’t have a great game shooting the ball he still makes our offense better by spacing the floor & his defense is not a liability.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Last night we got fouled frequently but the refs did not call the fouls, nothing you can do about it. Iona is a really good, tough team and played a really disruptive, tough game last night. Yes, Iona tried their best to neutralize Yuri and JImerson, and I think they made the game very difficult for them. We managed to beat them, against all odds, and I think this is wonderful.

I am not so sure that the refs missed that many fouls Iona committed against us.  I know it looked like there could have been fouls but honestly every time a player falls down after having a shot blocked doesn't mean a fouls was committed.  I am sure the refs did not make the same calls at the other end.  I was not a fan of the refs but the number of fouls were pretty close for both teams.

3 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was not a fan of the refs but the number of fouls were pretty close for both teams.

This a a huge pet peeve of mine.  Just because the # of fouls called on each team are close to equal does not mean the refs were good or that the game was called “fair” (ex: refs sucked but were bad both ways so it evened out). If one team plays a  is hyper aggressive / physical defense like Iona, you’d expect them to have more fouls called.  Refs tend to call more fouls on drives to the hoop / in the paint than on jump shots, so you’d expect the team who scores in the paint more & takes fewer 3s to draw more fouls.  SLU took fewer 3s and scores in the paint more.  SLU also intentionally fouled once at the end of the game.  21 fouls were called on Iona and 20 were called on SLU.  IMO it should not have been that close.

6 hours ago, thetorch said:

Sometimes our team needs to follow the old adage and 

Just Dunk It.

Thatch takes too many layups for a guy that has a 40 inch vertical.

Same is true for Okoro. The number of bunnies missed is mind boggling.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Pitino played 9 last night.  I discount Weiss' 4 minutes and Cashaw's 1 minute.  We went 7 deep, discounting Jones' 5 and Strickland's 2.  Yes, Pitino did rotate in and out at every stoppage.  Yes he used that to Iona's advantage, from my viewpoint.  And I agree, we could have used Linssen.  Ford has used 8 +2 his entire coaching career.  He isn't going to change.

I am somewhat surprised at Jones' lack of time over the past 4 games. 

If yuri struggles with longer, physical guard defenders, Jones really does.  He’s a good little point guard with a great 3 point shot, but he is really undersized.  Probably why he came from central Arkansas and not Arkansas, if ya know what I mean.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

If yuri struggles with longer, physical guard defenders, Jones really does.  He’s a good little point guard with a great 3 point shot, but he is really undersized.  Probably why he came from central Arkansas and not Arkansas, if ya know what I mean.

I was ready to pull my hair out when Jones picked up his dribble when double teamed in the corner in the backcourt with no one to pass to in the 1st half.  Ugh.  That’s like grade school basketball level awful press breaking.

Bills By 40 likes this

52 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not so sure that the refs missed that many fouls Iona committed against us.  I know it looked like there could have been fouls but honestly every time a player falls down after having a shot blocked doesn't mean a fouls was committed.  I am sure the refs did not make the same calls at the other end.  I was not a fan of the refs but the number of fouls were pretty close for both teams.

The refs generally try to give equal number of fouls to the opposing teams during a game. This is fine as long as both teams are playing in a similar fashion. When one team like Iona is playing a Chaka Smart like defense, totally submerging the opposite team and using constant physical contact, and the other is not playing with the same intensity, the system of giving the roughly the same amount of fouls per team per game becomes highly inaccurate. Such a system favors the team using constant physical contact and penalizes the other team. This may have been the situation last night.

Equality in fouls is inaccurate when one team plays the way described above.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Totally.  

When teams are grabbing / bumping Gibson on every action while not getting called for fouls, I’d love to see him be the aggressor & start pushing off / bumping or pushing his defender into screens to create space for himself.  Worst case you get called for an offensive foul & make a plea to the refs to watch the defenders grabbing / bumping.  Gibson averages the fewest fouls per 40 mins on the team so I’m not worried about him picking up too many fouls.

That being said he was a team high +13 last night.  Single game +/- can be kind of funky, but I think it shows that even if he didn’t have a great game shooting the ball he still makes our offense better by spacing the floor & his defense is not a liability.

His defense has seemingly improved. He also added three steals last night

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

That's the issuw - the fouls shouldn't have been anywhere near close. 

This a a huge pet peeve of mine.  Just because the # of fouls called on each team are close to equal does not mean the refs were good or that the game was called “fair” (ex: refs sucked but were bad both ways so it evened out). If one team plays a  is hyper aggressive / physical defense like Iona, you’d expect them to have more fouls called.  Refs tend to call more fouls on drives to the hoop / in the paint than on jump shots, so you’d expect the team who scores in the paint more & takes fewer 3s to draw more fouls.  SLU took fewer 3s and scores in the paint more.  SLU also intentionally fouled once at the end of the game.  21 fouls were called on Iona and 20 were called on SLU.  IMO it should not have been that close.

They could've had 40 team fouls themselves the way they play basketball. In a way I loved it but lord were they annoying. 

12 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I’ve been critical of Coach Ford for some things he has done, but he and what staff he had did a good job preparing for a defense you don’t see very often coached by a master of the game and his team won. 

Beating Rick Pitino anywhere is really hard.

And he beat Rick Pitino on a day's notice. That goes underappreciated. 

ijust watched the game again.   the first half iona was the defensive bullies.  and until the last four minutes the billikens played scared.   we were lucky iona's offense doesnt match their defense.   

the second half we did our share of pushing and pulling and bullied them on an even keel.   my point is that i think as much as i hate to admit it, the fouls and reffing imo was pretty even.   at least for about the last 25 minutes.  

HoosierPal and JohnnyJumpUp like this