GDT - The Gaels

Fraz

20 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Yikes!  I concede

I was there as well, just on the opposite side of the floor. The way he went down away from the rim made it look like a brutal foul, but just watched it again for the first time. Great block. All time bad take from Fred but he made up for it so we’re good 

It was a very weird play. The crowd erupted when Fred caught the ball and I think he thought he had an easy path to the basket. It was a rare situation where the crowd influenced the play.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What can I say, happy about a Q2 win. But man we were not good for most of this game.  The first half was some of the worse I’ve seen since ford got here.  Yuri Did everything I could do that first half. Hats off to Jordan, fred, and Franco, brought their hard hats tonight and that was the difference. It’s fun when you win these type of games playing with a C- grade 

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Pretty sure Fred got blocked on a fast break layup

This play bothered me in person too. He slowed down, and sorta just went in softly. Kinda like he thought he was all alone 

2 hours ago, NH said:

Best Okoro game as a Billiken thus far? We needed that

Great game and it came after a miserable start. 
TOs on back to back possessions in the first minute or two and I thought he looked lost. 
Ford pulled him early and settled him down. He was fantastic the rest of the way. 
props to Okoro on the turnaround and props to Ford and company for settling him down. 

16 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Great game and it came after a miserable start. 
TOs on back to back possessions in the first minute or two and I thought he looked lost. 
Ford pulled him early and settled him down. He was fantastic the rest of the way. 
props to Okoro on the turnaround and props to Ford and company for settling him down. 

Ya okoro and yuri were awful for the first 15 min.

both turned it around 

7 hours ago, wgstl said:

This play bothered me in person too. He slowed down, and sorta just went in softly. Kinda like he thought he was all alone 

Sometimes our team needs to follow the old adage and 

Just Dunk It.

Thatch takes too many layups for a guy that has a 40 inch vertical.

9 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Pitino had SLU completely diagnosed, shut down Yuri Collins and Gibson Jimerson. When that happens, Option 3 is Jordan Nesbitt. But Nesbitt needs to be on the floor, not on the bench. 

He could have gotten that from any coach who plays us - not a secret.

10 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Pitino had SLU completely diagnosed, shut down Yuri Collins and Gibson Jimerson. When that happens, Option 3 is Jordan Nesbitt. But Nesbitt needs to be on the floor, not on the bench. 

Nesbitt played 34 minutes and fouled out. 

6 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Except unlike most of those any other coaches, Pitino and his players made it work.

If this game doesn't show you the value of having a longer rotation than nothing will.  This is one reason Pitino got this to work, those players were going 100% for 3-5 minutes stretches and made it tough on our shorter rotation.  He had players who spread the fouls out so they only had one player in foul trouble we had 4.  I know Ford likes to play an 8 man rotation at most but we would much better if we could have al least 10

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

If this game doesn't show you the value of having a longer rotation than nothing will.  This is one reason Pitino got this to work, those players were going 100% for 3-5 minutes stretches and made it tough on our shorter rotation.  He had players who spread the fouls out so they only had one player in foul trouble we had 4.  I know Ford likes to play an 8 man rotation at most but we would much better if we could have al least 10

Pitino played 9 last night.  I discount Weiss' 4 minutes and Cashaw's 1 minute.  We went 7 deep, discounting Jones' 5 and Strickland's 2.  Yes, Pitino did rotate in and out at every stoppage.  Yes he used that to Iona's advantage, from my viewpoint.  And I agree, we could have used Linssen.  Ford has used 8 +2 his entire coaching career.  He isn't going to change.

I am somewhat surprised at Jones' lack of time over the past 4 games. 

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

Sometimes our team needs to follow the old adage and 

Just Dunk It.

Thatch takes too many layups for a guy that has a 40 inch vertical.

I saw it differently.  Thatch was measuring his steps because he saw Nelly Junior Joseph tracking him down.   Joseph had been stuffing our guys all day.  So Thatch went full extension with the left hand to avoid the shot block. Joseph stuffed it anyway.  

Thatch being able to jump high is what got us the game-winning bucket.  But he did that over at 6'1 guy, not a 6'9 shotblocker with a 7 foot wingspan. The 6'3 guys you see dunking on shot blockers have quick first steps AND are quick leapers.  They're not just high jumpers.  

10 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I saw it differently.  Thatch was measuring his steps because he saw Nelly Junior Joseph tracking him down.   Joseph had been stuffing our guys all day.  So Thatch went full extension with the left hand to avoid the shot block. Joseph stuffed it anyway.  

Thatch being able to jump high is what got us the game-winning bucket.  But he did that over at 6'1 guy, not a 6'9 shotblocker with a 7 foot wingspan. The 6'3 guys you see dunking on shot blockers have quick first steps AND are quick leapers.  They're not just high jumpers.  

Thatch dunks it at the very least he gets fouled.  He slowed down and waited to get blocked.

The team as a whole plays to shot blockers.  If we initiated contact more often and went strong into chests we would get calls at the rim instead of getting blocked.

Thatch needs to dunk with both hands in that situation.  He made a weak move and it cost us.  No way he gets blocked going up with two hands with several steps on the defender.  That play doesn't happen in the league.

Littlebill likes this

16 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Fred had a huge lead, Joseph doesn’t get close enough to block if Fred doesn’t let up. Maybe Fred thought he was closer than he actually was, maybe that was the issue 

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Thatch dunks it at the very least he gets fouled.  He slowed down and waited to get blocked.

The team as a whole plays to shot blockers.  If we initiated contact more often and went strong into chests we would get calls at the rim instead of getting blocked.

Thatch needs to dunk with both hands in that situation.  He made a weak move and it cost us.  No way he gets blocked going up with two hands with several steps on the defender.  That play doesn't happen in the league.

According to Ford on the radio after the game, Fred admitted he screwed up on that play.

Just now, thetorch said:

That's Nesbitt's calling card.  It sounds good in principle but it leads to 3-11 shooting displays in addition to drawing fouls.  High conversion rates come from easy buckets -- using the rim to avoid the shot blocker, knowing how to use angles -- the stuff that Perkins excelled at.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's Nesbitt's calling card.  It sounds good in principle but it leads to 3-11 shooting displays in addition to drawing fouls.  High conversion rates come from easy buckets -- using the rim to avoid the shot blocker, knowing how to use angles -- the stuff that Perkins excelled at.

Nesbitt was perfect from the line and had 15- could be a lot worse.

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Nesbitt tries a little too hard to get fouled. I wish he would finish at the rim more often rather than hanging in the air.

I think Fred does a great job of playing off of two feet and finishing in traffic. But he’s 6’2” and shoots only layups son inevitably those shots will be blocked.

9 hours ago, wgstl said:

What can I say, happy about a Q2 win. But man we were not good for most of this game.  The first half was some of the worse I’ve seen since ford got here.  Yuri Did everything I could do that first half. Hats off to Jordan, fred, and Franco, brought their hard hats tonight and that was the difference. It’s fun when you win these type of games playing with a C- grade 

As frustrating as the first half was to watch, I think this take doesn’t give nearly enough credit to Iona’s defense.  Aside from VCU, we shouldn’t see a defense that good or physical for the remainder of the season.

cheeseman and BIG BILL FAN like this

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

But SLU won the game…

BilliesBy40 likes this

15 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again:. What's the answer to the scenario where a team has the personnel to take Yuri and Jimerson out of the game?  Strategically I don't think there is one.  Either Nesbitt transforms into a consistent offensive player over the next month or we're just praying for an A10 tournament run. 

Fred and Okoro are doing their best to bully ball us to victory tonight but that's not a long-term solution.

I've been thinking about this problem.  A few possible solutions. 

1. We've seen already D. Jones on the floor at the same time as YC. 2 ball handlers.  But now we have 2 players that don't score too often.   But YC is having some good offensive games so maybe this is option 1.

2. Pull the 2 defenders with you away from the basket (careful not to allow the trap on the line).  3 team mates move into position to receive the ball.   Most teams won't allow all defenders to move away from the basket 

3. Spread it out, this 1 is not as viable an option with SLU shooting a low % from 3.

4. Possibly overload 1 side of the court and I'd put Nesbitt on the other side as he's the best at creating his own shot.  Try to rotate the ball quickly to the open man in iso.