Game against Iona confirmed for Saturday

CBFan

1 hour ago, NH said:

I hear you, hopefully they do. I’ve seen them play once this year and was impressed. It seems to me that their NET is near impossible to keep as high as it is right now, that’s all I mean. 

They will benefit from playing Monmouth twice in conference, but their are some bad ran NET rankings in that conference.  Monmouth has a  NET of 61.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

When we send these guys packing with an L, let’s make sure ol slick Rick gets on the plane quickly and stays away from our st.Louis recruits.

Gotta imagine Rick plans on dropping off a “box of ziti” or two to a few local kids.

I just thought about this now so worried about getting answers by calling SLU today on a Saturday. I purchased a parking pass for the year. Can we use those for today's game? If so, what do you do? Thanks to anyone that might know or got that answer already.

Abomb:  won't likely be combined with Fordham next year because OOC games usually wrap up sooner than January.  Could happen but likely a stretch.  I'd do it and likely will now have two trips to NYC next year plus the A10 tournament.  

11 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

When we send these guys packing with an L, let’s make sure ol slick Rick gets on the plane quickly and stays away from our st.Louis recruits.

Heck no. I hope he hangs around to party a bit. You know he has some connections. 

47 minutes ago, jp18 said:

I just thought about this now so worried about getting answers by calling SLU today on a Saturday. I purchased a parking pass for the year. Can we use those for today's game? If so, what do you do? Thanks to anyone that might know or got that answer already.

Contact the Athletic Department.

11 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I still worry about Pearl talking to JNez after the Auburn game and would make sure he stays far away from Slick Rick’s clutches. A lot of coaches are poachers. I’d place Pearl and Rick in the top tier. 

billiken_roy likes this

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I still worry about Pearl talking to JNez after the Auburn game and would make sure he stays far away from Slick Rick’s clutches. A lot of coaches are poachers. I’d place Pearl and Rick in the top tier. 

With the new transfer rules, and the NIL now in place, 'poaching' has taken a different direction.  If SLU can't deliver NIL sponsors but another school can, players will look at the $$ and jump. And I don't blame them.

My impression is that every school is developing this angle for transfers.  I'm not connected on social media like others, but I am not aware of any major NIL deal for any SLU players.  I'm talking multiple thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands), not multiple hundreds of dollars as being major.

I'm just making these numbers up, but if Pearl has a $25,000 per year NIL deal for Nesbitt and SLU $2,000 per year, what would you do?  (All of this through third party.)  SLU alumni and St. Louis sponsors need to match or come close to matching what is out there, or SLU will lose out on players seeking the best NIL deal.

58 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Maybe some one on the billiken board will be courtesy enough to give you an answer

I'm in town for the Christmas break, and a friend who has season tickets gave him his tickets to the game.  They include a parking pass for the Compton Lot.  The Athletic Department generated both as soon as the game was announced.  Based on the fact that his tickets included the parking pass, I would assume that means that your year long parking pass should be good as well.  I hope that helps. Go Bills!

dennis_w likes this

26 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

I'm in town for the Christmas break, and a friend who has season tickets gave him his tickets to the game.  They include a parking pass for the Compton Lot.  The Athletic Department generated both as soon as the game was announced.  Based on the fact that his tickets included the parking pass, I would assume that means that your year long parking pass should be good as well.  I hope that helps. Go Bills!

Are sure about that parking pass - they did not print any this year given what they told me.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

With the new transfer rules, and the NIL now in place, 'poaching' has taken a different direction.  If SLU can't deliver NIL sponsors but another school can, players will look at the $$ and jump. And I don't blame them.

My impression is that every school is developing this angle for transfers.  I'm not connected on social media like others, but I am not aware of any major NIL deal for any SLU players.  I'm talking multiple thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands), not multiple hundreds of dollars as being major.

I'm just making these numbers up, but if Pearl has a $25,000 per year NIL deal for Nesbitt and SLU $2,000 per year, what would you do?  (All of this through third party.)  SLU alumni and St. Louis sponsors need to match or come close to matching what is out there, or SLU will lose out on players seeking the best NIL deal.

Do you have any numbers to back up your claim. At the beginning of this NIL stuff we read about some outrageous deals, but it seems to have calmed down. At least they’re not getting too much publicity. I find it difficult to believe that other than stars paydays of $25k will be available to more than or two players. Of course, I could be naive. I do agree though SLU should be doing everything it can with local businesses and wealthy alums to compete with the Auburns of the world. 

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hypothetically, can a donor set up NIL corporation, fund it and pay each player $100,000 for a license to use their photo?

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Do you have any numbers to back up your claim. At the beginning of this NIL stuff we read about some outrageous deals, but it seems to have calmed down. At least they’re not getting too much publicity. I find it difficult to believe that other than stars paydays of $25k will be available to more than or two players. Of course, I could be naive. I do agree though SLU should be doing everything it can with local businesses and wealthy alums to compete with the Auburns of the world. 

The college football blogs are on-fire with stories about the NIL money that is being thrown around at football players.  Word has it that Texas A&M currently has the #1 ranked recruiting class for next year because a group of donors put up $30 million in NIL money to help recruit the class.  Word has it the sensational freshman quarterback for OU, Caleb Williams, put his name in the transfer portal and he's been offered $1 million in NIL $ by Charlie Batch to transfer to Eastern Michigan (not that Williams will go there's but it shows you the kind of money that is being thrown around).  The money is getting crazy.

Absent some reasonable regulation, I fear NIL money will be the end of college sports as we know it.  Obviously it is very early, and hopefully there will be some reasonable regulation to save college sports, but without it the rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer - and I don't think "mid-major" programs will fare well.

bauman, willie and slufanskip like this

27 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

Absent some reasonable regulation, I fear NIL money will be the end of college sports as we know it.  Obviously it is very early, and hopefully there will be some reasonable regulation to save college sports, but without it the rich will get richer, the poor will get poorer - and I don't think "mid-major" programs will fare well.

I read somewhere that Eastern Michigan is offering a transfer $1 million. So, at least some "mid-major" programs might find ways to compete on the new playing field. Otherwise, the big/wealthy/P5 schools having more resources than small schools to recruit top talent just sounds like more of the same, not "the end of college sports as we know it."

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

First, please reread my post.  I stated that I was making up the $ numbers. 

As @Wendelprof pointed out, NIL football money is insane.  The entire U of Miami football team - all 90 players, are getting $500 per month each from a local businessman.  That is $6K per year for every scholarship player.  A junk hauler in Miami is also paying some U players who advertise their service. The HS QB from Texas who graduated early originally signed with Ohio State for a $1,000,000 NIL deal, then bolted to Texas and has already signed something bigger.  Luther Burden dumped out of Oklahoma for a larger NIL deal at Mizzou.  When he decommited from OU he said "it was a business decision."

Basketball NIL has not had the publicity of football to date.  I recall reading that certain Duke players have signed sweet deals, one with NBA2K and another with Bojangles.  UConn's Paige Bueckers has signed a pretty significant NIL deal with Gatorade.  The NIL money for hoops players is there.  There is no requirement to advertise the dollars.  Players can sign as many NIL deals as they want.  

Is it $25K for a player of Nesbitt's stature, or is it $2.5K or $250K.  Whatever it is, you can't fault teenagers for grabbing the higher $$.  (I have no idea if Nesbitt has an NIL deal with SLU or not, or if other school alumni have approached him.  I am not starting any rumors on Nesbitt, one way or the other.....I only used his name as an example from other posts saying he talked to Pearl after the game. You could pencil Jimerson or Collins name in for Nesbitt is you desire.

The NCAA has said they are not regulating this other than a university cannot directly offer or arrange NIL money.  Other than that, it is a free for all.  This is the new college game.

1 hour ago, Wendelprof said:

The college football blogs are on-fire with stories about the NIL money that is being thrown around at football players.  Word has it that Texas A&M currently has the #1 ranked recruiting class for next year because a group of donors put up $30 million in NIL money to help recruit the class.  Word has it the sensational freshman quarterback for OU, Caleb Williams, put his name in the transfer portal and he's been offered $1 million in NIL $ by Charlie Batch to transfer to Eastern Michigan (not that Williams will go there's but it shows you the kind of money that is being thrown around).  The money is getting crazy.

I tend to agree with you. The only thing is that I do think SLU is uniquely positioned to be able to compete with the big schools (maybe not the top tier) as a mid-major in this NIL world.  Only have to focus on bball, Located in a major city, $$ from donors and alumni commitment to athletics & facilities, etc.