Game against Iona confirmed for Saturday

CBFan

5 minutes ago, NH said:

I wonder what other options there were for scheduling this game. I am excited for it, and glad to be playing any game, but I hope the staff doesn’t think Iona’s NET of 46th will hold all season. I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up being a Quad 3 game.

Why? Idk much about maac but as long as they collect a bunch of wins they should move much 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Apparently the return game there will likely be played at MSG or the Barclays. If this ends up happening what an awesome last second home at home.

That is pretty awesome. Fall of 2022 I presume? 100%* going if the game is at MSG.

*50/50

CBFan likes this

Iona ranks 85 in TR, SLU ranks 63 in TR. Iona has played 3 high ranking opponents and won one of the games. These were:

Alabama (15 rank TR), Iona won 72-68. AL was favored by the Vegas line 82-69 (13 pts in favor of AL), Iona won by 4 pts. Iona beat the Vegas line by 17 pts.

Belmont (53 rank TR), Iona lost 72-65. Belmont was favored by the Vegas line by 5 pts, Belmont won 2 pts over the Vegas line.

Kansas (6 rank TR), Iona lost 96-83. Kansas was favored by the Vegas line by 14 pts, Kansas won 1 pt below the Vegas line.

Iona appears to be a pretty tough opponent, they are #1 team in the MAAC league.

This looks like it could be a really tough game to win. Let's go Bills.

26 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Why? Idk much about maac but as long as they collect a bunch of wins they should move much 

Iona’s NET is higher than their ranking in any of the predictive metrics I’ve looked at (KenPom, Torvik, Haslam) which suggests it might be a reach that they’re actually a top 50 team going forward. Then you combine that with them having tons of opportunities in their conference for losses that could hurt their NET, with very few chances for Quad 1/2 games and you end up with a circumstance where it’s much easier to drop than to rise.

The NET is always most favorable to mid-majors before conference play starts. The odds are stacked a little bit against you after that. 

26 minutes ago, NH said:

Iona’s NET is higher than their ranking in any of the predictive metrics I’ve looked at (KenPom, Torvik, Haslam) which suggests it might be a reach that they’re actually a top 50 team going forward. Then you combine that with them having tons of opportunities in their conference for losses that could hurt their NET, with very few chances for Quad 1/2 games and you end up with a circumstance where it’s much easier to drop than to rise.

The NET is always most favorable to mid-majors before conference play starts. The odds are stacked a little bit against you after that. 

I'm not saying they will remain high(or this high) but Id think as long as they stack a ton on wins in the MAAC they should finish top 80ish

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I'm not saying they will remain high(or this high) but Id think as long as they stack a ton on wins in the MAAC they should finish top 80ish

I hear you, hopefully they do. I’ve seen them play once this year and was impressed. It seems to me that their NET is near impossible to keep as high as it is right now, that’s all I mean. 

3 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Iona should win their league and be a tournament team. That and getting a crack at that snake Pitino makes this worthwhile!

Hopefully they deliver a win for my birthday. Just got seats.  

I got a blown 2nd half lead against UAB for my birthday - hoping for better for yours. 

4 hours ago, someoneelse said:

I'm not saying that I need the Wiz to write up an analysis, but I need the Wiz to write up an analysis.  

I am on it....someone let me know when the plane takes off from Iona.

Iona is the likely NCAA Tournament team coming out of the MAAC, especially with Rick Pitino as the Gaels' Coach.  The MAAC is traditionally a one bid league.

The two top teams in the MAAC are Iona (NET 47) and Monmouth (NET 61).

This is a very good game, on extremely short notice, for SLU (NET 67).  It always helps to know someone.   It will be even better for SLU if the Billikens win this game.

1 hour ago, mrjoelabs said:

Iona should win their league and be a tournament team. That and getting a crack at that snake Pitino makes this worthwhile!

Hopefully they deliver a win for my birthday. Just got seats.  

all the snakes sell tickets. I love playing name coaches