The Bills over St. B by 3

The Wiz

No analysis of this game unless I see The Bills on a plane headed to Olean..  If they are, I will update this page.

Other notes ...

Injuries....update a/o 1/2/21...Linssen   (ankle)...missed 1 game and Courtney (illness )...missed 2 games...are both listed as questionable for the Sat. game.  It is unknown at this time whether they will be able to play against St. B

Mellouk...F...11/27/21...Out indefinitely...Undisclosed injury...no timetable on a return

Chance to Dance....

The Bills....54%

Dav............48%

VCU............41%

I am missing 3 games for a full data set  (1 SLU and 2 St.  B )  It would have been nice to have the stats from the Ford / St B game on Wed. especially since St. B will have over a   3 week layoff  by the time we play them.  The numbers may vary a bit but one thing is clear at this point, we are the better team. 

Stay tuned for updates.

CBFan likes this

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one beats The Wiz.

I don't know how accurate Sagarin is, but FWIW, Sagarin has #56 SLU as a 2 point underdog at #70 St. Bona per (Overall) Ratings, but has #72 SLU as a 1 point road favorite over #119 St. Bona per its Recent Ratings.  

NCAA NET rankings through games played 1/3/22:  SLU 71, St. Bona 113.

Other A10 NET rankings:  Davidson 42, VCU 67, URI 94, Mason 102, Dayton 106, Richmond 107, St. Joe's 122, UMass 147, Fordham 151, Duquesne 230, LaSalle 273, GW 274.

A10 is #9 in Conference NET, has passed the #10 WCC, remains behind the #7 AAC (American) and #8 Mountain West.

2 hours ago, brownindians said:

POSTED - NO TRESPASSING - THIS MEANS YOU!

The Southern Tier of Western New York is in a covid conundrum. It has a virus of its own that the Nutty news isn't talking about. Even the Deer are testing positive. (no BS)

Stay safe and stay healthy.

I know you have been told this before but deer have been infected with COVID in many states.  There is no evidence that deer can pass it to humans or that COVID is having any real impact on deer.

3 hours ago, brownindians said:

POSTED - NO TRESPASSING - THIS MEANS YOU!

The Southern Tier of Western New York is in a covid conundrum. It has a virus of its own that the Nutty news isn't talking about. Even the Deer are testing positive. (no BS)

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Are you people testing deer, and they are having (+) tests? Really?

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I know you have been told this before but deer have been infected with COVID in many states.  There is no evidence that deer can pass it to humans or that COVID is having any real impact on deer.

Cheeseman the point is not whether or not the deer get sick, the issue is the test. Coronavirus has been around forever (dogs, bats, probably deer as you say) but never infected humans. The stuff that infects humans is not the standard bug that infects animals. Is the test we use in people incapable of making the distinction between human and animal bugs, and if this is the case, can it make the can it really diagnose the various strains of Covid going around? Or is this just a generic coronavirus test?

31 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman the point is not whether or not the deer get sick, the issue is the test. Coronavirus has been around forever (dogs, bats, probably deer as you say) but never infected humans. The stuff that infects humans is not the standard bug that infects animals. Is the test we use in people incapable of making the distinction between human and animal bugs, and if this is the case, can it make the can it really diagnose the various strains of Covid going around? Or is this just a generic coronavirus test?

Old guy I would imagine this is confirmed by PCR, which is a very specific test.   Therefore they should be able to distinguish it exactly.  we will likely be dealing with strains of Covid for years to come. With less virulence but a waxing and waning of this just like Influenza.   

That is OK Basketbill, but if they are using a very specific test capable of distinguishing different human strains of Covid, it should not be positive with deer of dog Coronavirus which are different. I am positive that there are specific test for dog Coronavirus, since these are pets and they have had specific vaccines against dog Coronavirus for a long time. Do you really believe anyone has spent money to make a specific test to diagnose Coronavirus in deer? I would be doubtful about specific tests for other strains of Coronavirus like bat or deer. The question is this, are they using the standard readily available human test on deer? and if this is so why should it turn positive for deer, assuming this is a very specific test?

14 minutes ago, Old guy said:

That is OK Basketbill, but if they are using a very specific test capable of distinguishing different human strains of Covid, it should not be positive with deer of dog Coronavirus which are different. I am positive that there are specific test for dog Coronavirus, since these are pets and they have had specific vaccines against dog Coronavirus for a long time. Do you really believe anyone has spent money to make a specific test to diagnose Coronavirus in deer? I would be doubtful about specific tests for other strains of Coronavirus like bat or deer. The question is this, are they using the standard readily available human test on deer? and if this is so why should it turn positive for deer, assuming this is a very specific test?

The test is a PCR looking for the spike protein version of COVID. It is our new COVID, but it doesn’t kill the deer. Technically, chronic wasting condition in deer has not been proven to jump to humans, but it is tested for as well. I wouldn’t eat deer with that disease though.

38 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The test is a PCR looking for the spike protein version of COVID. It is our new COVID, but it doesn’t kill the deer. Technically, chronic wasting condition in deer has not been proven to jump to humans, but it is tested for as well. I wouldn’t eat deer with that disease though.

If you are referring to the mad cow disease version affecting deer, you are not even dealing with viruses, you are dealing with prions (the spelling may not be correct), and yes, there have been reported cases of people getting this disorder by eating deer meat. Apparently it takes a long time for people to get it but there are documented cases of people with this disorder.

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

I don't know but the Missouri Dept of Conservation has reported Covid in deer and yes it has been found in dogs and cats.  Of course one thought of where it hoped to humans is from bats - not sure if that has been completely proven or not.  Anyway, I was just pointing out to Brown Indian that he should not be overly concerned about the deer in western NY having Covid - it is apparently a common thing from what I have read.  

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

If you are referring to the mad cow disease version affecting deer, you are not even dealing with viruses, you are dealing with prions (the spelling may not be correct), and yes, there have been reported cases of people getting this disorder by eating deer meat. Apparently it takes a long time for people to get it but there are documented cases of people with this disorder.

Yes you are correct about the CWD issue in deer.  AnkielBreakers is also right about it and the MDC even recommends not to eat the deer just to be overly cautious that have it even if the evidence is shaky about it being a problem for humans.  I know of only one real incident where humans may have gotten the Mad Cow type of disease from deer.  The problem is even that has not been conclusively proven.  The ones who died of the disease supposedly only ate venison but that seems hard to document and subsequently there has not really been any other cases that have been attributed to infected deer.  States like WI, MT, WY NE to name some have up to 50% of their venison type animals with it and they have yet to find any evidence of humans getting it but you are right it takes years to show up.  My county in MO found one case last year and so this year we had to have the deer we have taken tested by the MDC.  Mine came back negative and my son's did not actually get tested because MDC said that it was optional for him since they have never found CWD in a deer under a year old.  But of course we digress - CWD and Covid are apples as oranges as you pointed out.

3 minutes ago, Lando Griffin said:

Guys — can we just talk basketball and Billikens here? There are a million and 1 different outlets to cover your COVID thoughts out there. 

+1,000,000

Fraz likes this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Well, this all started because we were talking about Olean. What else do they do in Olean? Basketball and deer.

Snowmobile, drink, chop wood, drink, cross country ski, drink, make babies, drink, shovel snow, drink, make ice figures, drink…… drink some more. 

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

Snowmobile, drink, chop wood, drink, cross country ski, drink, make babies, drink, shovel snow, drink, make ice figures, drink…… drink some more. 

Welding is big too, so I hear

No, Olean has something else to offer, the University itself. Universities offer arts, performances, music, educational, and sports activities and may well be the cultural center of the city. I am sure they have adequate shopping and all kinds of sports available. There may be some nearby state park with nice beaches and good fishing. Small towns can be quite livable and provide a sense of community which is absent in big cities.