GDT - Tha Spidahhhs

Fraz

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

My concern about Traore is that he often let his man unguarded once the man got out on the perimeter.  Golden hit at least 2 3pointers when he was wide open.  I get that he is a freshman but if he is going to play that loose then his man will burn him often.  Today many big men can pop from the outside from time to time.  Sure the coaching staff can teach him and hopefully that will happen.  From what I saw he was OK but not ready to play big minutes just yet.

Golden made 1 three point shot during the game.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I missed it.  What did he say?

He said they weren't slowing it down as a strategy, which a lot of people have been criticizing him for, the problem was that the Bills were not getting any stops on the defensive end toward the end of those games, so they didn't have the opportunity to run, the opponent is already set up in half-court defense.

cgeldmacher likes this

4 minutes ago, NYBilliken said:

He said they weren't slowing it down as a strategy, which a lot of people have been criticizing him for, the problem was that the Bills were not getting any stops on the defensive end toward the end of those games, so they didn't have the opportunity to run, the opponent is already set up in half-court defense.

That is half the equation. We have to get the defensive rebound to run on a miss. With our recent numbers, getting the board has to be the first priority.  You can’t send guys flying down the court leaving Okoro on an island. 

VeniceMenace likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

That is half the equation. We have to get the defensive rebound to run on a miss. With our recent numbers, getting the board has to be the first priority.  You can’t send guys flying down the court leaving Okoro on an island. 

This is true but slowing down the game on the offensive side does not always mean grabbing the rebound and running to the basket.  The game can also be slowed down by dribbling the ball up and then holding it outside until there is 7-8 seconds left on the shot clock and not being able to generate a good shot.  In my estimation this is what happened in those 3 games and we never got a decent shot during those teams runs.  The same thing kind of happened with BC but we were able to score a bit more and that stemmed the tide.

brianstl likes this

2 hours ago, dennis_w said:

a veteran team like richmond schemes to get guys a look from three, pretty tough criticism of traore, richmond has scholarship players also. i think a line of 6pt 4 rebounds in 10 min is a very nice line

I did not criticize his offense or rebounding.  My comment was only about his defense outside the perimeter.  I also said that this issue was something the coaches can address.  I also said he played OK that is not a criticism. I only critiqued his entire performance.  

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I did not criticize his offense or rebounding.  My comment was only about his defense outside the perimeter.  I also said that this issue was something the coaches can address.  I also said he played OK that is not a criticism. I only critiqued his entire performance.  

everyone has opinions, i dont agree with yours on this

On 1/3/2022 at 8:36 AM, cheeseman said:

My concern about Traore is that he often let his man unguarded once the man got out on the perimeter.  Golden hit at least 2 3pointers when he was wide open.  I get that he is a freshman but if he is going to play that loose then his man will burn him often.  Today many big men can pop from the outside from time to time.  Sure the coaching staff can teach him and hopefully that will happen.  From what I saw he was OK but not ready to play big minutes just yet.

Traore is utterly inexperienced and still looks like a deer in the headlights out there. He has a lot of work to do on his conditioning and coordination. He has an extremely wide wingspan and a ton of upside, but he is all building materials right now. There isn't a player there.. yet.

Ill give him at least the off-season before I issue judgment. The potential is clearly there. He can't be relied on to do anything but be a warm body during garbage minutes at this time.

someoneelse likes this

12 minutes ago, Soderball said:

Traore is utterly inexperienced and still looks like a deer in the headlights out there. He has a lot of work to do on his conditioning and coordination. He has an extremely wide wingspan and a ton of upside, but he is all building materials right now. There isn't a player there.. yet.

Ill give him at least the off-season before I issue judgment. The potential is clearly there. He can't be relied on to do anything but be a warm body during garbage minutes at this time.

This. We don't even want a project big with 62 min of D1 ball going out and trying to guard Grant Golden on the perimeter. If we do, we are asking for worse than an occasional wide open 3. 

9 minutes ago, Soderball said:

I would have to disagree, I don't think he looks scared at all, in fact, I've been impressed by his aggressiveness during his limited minutes. I don't think he has looked uncoordinated at all, in fact, he has demonstrated a nice 10ft.  jump shot and runs the floor well..

his numbers are extremely good for the limited minutes he has received...in just 62 minutes he has scored 36 points and has 26 rebounds, the 40 minute average based on this is 23.2 ppg and 16.8 rpg. Additionally, he has made 6 of 8 ft's...his one negative is to's which he's had 8. He has enormous potential in my view, and definitely deserves increased opportunities...Corey Tate before the season predicted stardom for him, and it's apparent why...

10 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I would have to disagree, I don't think he looks scared at all, in fact, I've been impressed by his aggressiveness during his limited minutes. I don't think he has looked uncoordinated at all, in fact, he has demonstrated a nice 10ft.  jump shot and runs the floor well..

his numbers are extremely good for the limited minutes he has received...in just 62 minutes he has scored 36 points and has 26 rebounds, the 40 minute average based on this is 23.2 ppg and 16.8 rpg. Additionally, he has made 6 of 8 ft's...his one negative is to's which he's had 8. He has enormous potential in my view, and definitely deserves increased opportunities...Corey Tate before the season predicted stardom for him, and it's apparent why...

I agree with this. Traore has the skills and is not overwhelmed by the moment but I think he's struggling with the speed of the college game. With how many transfers(both JUCO and Grad) we've had in a similar role to Traore that it's easy to forget he's still a college Freshman.

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think you got an impression that I was ripping on him. I'm not. I'm saying he has upside but isn't developed yet.

Yes, he's not used to the speed of the college game. exactly. That's WHY he looks uncoordinated and is giving up open looks. Give the kid time. He will be a good player. I like him. He's a freshman. Best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores. I'll also note he's playing against one of the most experienced lineups in the history of college basketball; guys out there have been around for 5-6 years now with the COVID waivers. Traore will be fine. Let our coaching staff do their thing.

drkelsey55 likes this

Traore has held his own in limited minutes. He has good touch, lateral movement, and strength. For a freshman big added very late in the recruiting cycle, I’ve been really impressed. With a full off-season with the team, he can be a good back up next season. Heck, in a couple seasons, the flashes are there for something more. 

I would like to see Ford play 2 bigs at the same time more often. IMO our biggest weakness is the 4 spot. This is not a knock on TJ but giving away 6 inches is hard. Fortunately the A-10 is not loaded with huge teams. Most teams are not as large as Richmond which killed us on the boards. 

A10Ref likes this

1 hour ago, Soderball said:

i think your description is what i expected when we first signed traore.  but what i have now seen isnt near as severe as what you are seeing.   yes he isnt a ready for prime time player yet, but he rebounds, he can catch the ball.  he shoots ok.  he is obviously athletic. 

i do agree he needs strength and he needs basketball experience, but i do not see him as a anywhere near the disaster you are painting. 

my gosh, for years we got by with the likes of husak as a backup big.  this guy at least has some potential.   and right now he is 3rd string unless the linssen injury is permanent.  

22 minutes ago, willie said:

I would like to see Ford play 2 bigs at the same time more often. IMO our biggest weakness is the 4 spot. This is not a knock on TJ but giving away 6 inches is hard. Fortunately the A-10 is not loaded with huge teams. Most teams are not as large as Richmond which killed us on the boards. 

I actually thought TJ did really well at the 4 Sunday. Mainly on the defensive end. He's good about going straight up and contesting without fouling. 

Tough night on the offensive end but I was pretty happy with how he played considering Richmond has some decent bigs.

Regarding traore... Y'all remember Austin Gillman.... Brett Jolly.... the other Canadian big can't remember his name. He's looked better than reggie agbeko and Jimmy bell. He's exceeded my expectations forsure. 

bauman and billiken_roy like this

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I actually thought TJ did really well at the 4 Sunday. Mainly on the defensive end. He's good about going straight up and contesting without fouling. 

Tough night on the offensive end but I was pretty happy with how he played considering Richmond has some decent bigs.

Regarding traore... Y'all remember Austin Gillman.... Brett Jolly.... the other Canadian big can't remember his name. He's looked better than reggie agbeko and Jimmy bell. He's exceeded my expectations forsure. 

Canadian big man Matt Neufeld?!?!? I remember actually being excited for him. He actually put up decent numbers at UC Davis after transferring. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm confused.  Exactly what freshman backup big is Traore being compared to?  Because he's better than almost all of them in the last 30 years.

Traore has greatly exceeded my expectations. A very late signing with little recruiting pedigree or track record, I was expecting more Madani Diarra. 

A lot to still work on of course, but I'm excited about this kid's potential - sure he makes some mistakes, but he's athletic, aggressive and plays with confidence. What's not to like.

bauman and drkelsey55 like this

46 minutes ago, willie said:

-yes, I agree, and I think the reason we don't see it is likely Traore would be the backup to the two playing and CFord doesn't trust him because he hasn't gotten clock to show what he can do but he doesn't get clock because our rotation isn't expansive enough to include him

-Traore has been better than fine in the minutes he has played and from my seat warrants playing meaningful minutes in every game, not just garbage clock

drkelsey55 likes this

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

Traore has greatly exceeded my expectations. A very late signing with little recruiting pedigree or track record, I was expecting more Madani Diarra. 

A lot to still work on of course, but I'm excited about this kid's potential - sure he makes some mistakes, but he's athletic, aggressive and plays with confidence. What's not to like.

looks like he is enjoying playing here & with this team.

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think your description is what i expected when we first signed traore.  but what i have now seen isnt near as severe as what you are seeing.   yes he isnt a ready for prime time player yet, but he rebounds, he can catch the ball.  he shoots ok.  he is obviously athletic. 

i do agree he needs strength and he needs basketball experience, but i do not see him as a anywhere near the disaster you are painting. 

my gosh, for years we got by with the likes of husak as a backup big.  this guy at least has some potential.   and right now he is 3rd string unless the linssen injury is permanent.  

This. Not sure what games some of you are watching. Traore has been surprisingly good. Good hands, soft touch, can score facing the basket. What’s not to like? As Hubie Brown says, “He has great upside potential.”

Corey Tate said on Frank’s show, Traore has the potential to be “The face of the program in two years.” Way more accurate than Rick saying that John Manning had NBA potential. That was clearly wrong.

Billiken Rich likes this