GDT: auburn

wgstl

From my point of view, we made 13 out of 20 FTs in the second half (65%), we missed 7 FTs. If we had made 2 of those FT throws we would have gone into OT and have a second chance to win. Of course the drama of the last two seconds of the game with Yuri fouling out and Auburn making their last 2 pts would not have taken place. Feel free to think anything you wish but someone missing a FTA is something that cannot be controlled by the coaches. Okoro and Yuri missed enough FTAs at the end of the game that could have taken us to OT or to win the game outright if all else had remained the same.

We played well.

I also want to acknowledge that the attendance at this game, new regulations and all, was higher than I expected. I was wrong.

SLU_Lax likes this

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Some points not mentioned ......

The pick and roll:  how many times did the point guard drive from left to right, go off the Kessler pick, and then lob it to Kessler for the dunk?  Lots.  How many time did he make the same move going right to left?  None.  Yes,  Yuri's defense was maniacal at times but fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, thrice, four, five times and what does that say?  Yuri was too gassed to compensate late.   Okoro did what he had to do to stop the guard's layup.  Kessler is like 7 feet plus and can jump well but every slam was for his right hand as well.  And the point guard was righthanded as well.

Yuri is the ONLY ballhandler right now.  How hard was it late to even get the ball in to anyone?  By the fourth quarter, Yuri is gassed.  Seems you can sub conditionally; get Jones and Traore in at the six minute mark and then put the main guys back in at the under 4 TO.  Sure, it's different with a healthy Linssen but still ... everyone watching knew we were gassed, especially Pearl.  And if our guys were gassed, why weren't the Auburjn guys?  Not like Pearl had a deep bench as well.

Trending.  We lost the same way to UAB and Belmont and we would have lost to BC if we weren't up by 23. We didn't lose at Boise because it was OT and we HAD to keep playing.     Seems to me Ford is showing his true colors here.  We upgraded the schedule but didn't upgrade the tendencies on the bench.

Opposing game plans.  Aren't they obvious now?  Beat the hell out of Collins, make him work, and put your most athletic three or four on Jimerson.  And then grab and hold him all you can get away with.  With the defenses doibg this, we need plays designed specifically for Nesbitt and Hargrove --- they are the only two athletes really out there who can go and create on their own.

I typed ball game before Nesbitt's tying three but I was tempted to type it at the 9 minute mark.  The minute Yuri started walking it up and dribbling just left of the half court line.  Yuri doesn't do this unless instructed to do so, right?  Isn't insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?  UAB.  Belmont.  Auburn.  Looking at next year, is Kellen Thames a viable second point guard?  Or do we really need another?  

Why can't we shoot?  We were outscored by 15 from three.  Even Mrs. Taj was stunned by the depth of some of Auburn's threes.  Yet our guys are always challenged to make even one it seems.  Outside of Okoro, we got 14 minutes from our "deep" bench.  It seems Ford became a spectator rather than a coach and game manager.  Where are our assistants advising Ford of the obvious shortcomings?  That's three losses that I place on Ford's late game MO.  

Tough one.  We had that one.  But we also had UAB and Belmont.  

It is maddening...Travis blames the players at every post-game interview with Bob. Someone needs to buy him a mirror for Christmas. 

1 minute ago, billikenblue said:

It is maddening...Travis blames the players at every post-game interview with Bob. Someone needs to buy him a mirror for Christmas. 

Travis keeps that stuff up, he risks losing the team.  A good coach will take some blame even when they believe 100% they deserve no blame.  You got to shield your players.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

From my point of view, we made 13 out of 20 FTs in the second half (65%), we missed 7 FTs. If we had made 2 of those FT throws we would have gone into OT and have a second chance to win. Of course the drama of the last two seconds of the game with Yuri fouling out and Auburn making their last 2 pts would not have taken place. Feel free to think anything you wish but someone missing a FTA is something that cannot be controlled by the coaches. Okoro and Yuri missed enough FTAs at the end of the game that could have taken us to OT or to win the game outright if all else had remained the same.

We played well.

I also want to acknowledge that the attendance at this game, new regulations and all, was higher than I expected. I was wrong.

As someone else posted, this was the type of game that if it went into OT the Billikens would have lost by 12.  The guys were simply out of gas in the closing minutes, ML wasn’t able to play, and if Yuri hadn’t fouled out, he still would have been playing with 4 fouls in OT.

26 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

As someone else posted, this was the type of game that if it went into OT the Billikens would have lost by 12.  The guys were simply out of gas in the closing minutes, ML wasn’t able to play, and if Yuri hadn’t fouled out, he still would have been playing with 4 fouls in OT.

I agree, which is why I was hoping for a play to get us a good 3 point look. Conventional wisdom is to play for OT at home but when the tank is empty, go for the win.

CBFan likes this

50 minutes ago, Fan Guy said:

Since no ones talking about it, what’s the consensus on all those auburn fans in SLU’s comments on twitter?

Mizzou fans did the same thing last year. So fouking annoying 

3 hours ago, Fan Guy said:

Since no ones talking about it, what’s the consensus on all those auburn fans in SLU’s comments on twitter?

Hoosiers gonna hoos.

KD Johnson talking trash about our student section after the game was particularly entertaining. 

3 hours ago, Slowry said:

If he thinks he has to sit for the next two years do you really think he’ll stick around? Maybe he will but most players wouldn’t.   

I was thinking the same thing. Lost a guy at his position in Perkins, potentially moving him up in the depth chart and he still can’t sniff the court except in garbage time.  I’d be surprised if he stuck around.

-this one still sits bad, I can't believe CFord would call out his kids in the postgame interview, that upsets more than the poor coaching leading to our losses

-was a really good atmosphere, wish we could have gone home happy

-the number of Auburn fans surprised me

-JNezz and Pearl had a somewhat lengthy exchange after Pearl's postgame interview

-I know why I don't typically read Fredrickson from the PD but his article today struck me like a Mizzou guy upset SLU is playing a quality opponent in StL so let's piss in the bucket so they don't renew the series, probably a stretch but that's what came to mind

AGB91 likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-this one still sits bad, I can't believe CFord would call out his kids in the postgame interview, that upsets more than the poor coaching leading to our losses

-JNezz and Pearl had a somewhat lengthy exchange after Pearl's postgame interview

-I know why I don't typically read Fredrickson from the PD but his article today struck me like a Mizzou guy upset SLU is playing a quality opponent in StL so let's piss in the bucket so they don't renew the series, probably a stretch but that's what came to mind

Agree with your post except for the BenFred point. I think it was a fair column and my antenna is always highly sensitive to what you perceived. 

Ford has got to win. He and his players are doing an awful lot right. But it doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in becoming a perennial top 50 team unless you can find a way to close games you’re up double-digit.

I think BenFred would be right in the middle of a Billiken bandwagon if we’d just give him a reason.

3 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

I missed the exchange between Nesbitt and Pearl. Anyone know what happened?