GDT: auburn

wgstl

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much to say. 

What a bummer. 8 minutes to go and they start trying to chew up clock.....Ball Game! its the basketball equivalent of the prevent defense in football. 

You sit there watching and you know exactly what's going to happen.  Ford on the post game interview repeated his message "this young team doesn't know how to finish games." I think its more the coaching staff who doesn't know how to close out games. Honestly, this team isn't that young either. 

I actually feel better about the rest of the year than I did 3 hours ago. 

This is by far the best team the Bills will play this year and they had them beat. The A10 should seem like Childs play compared to this. 

Just now, dlarry said:

Not much to say. 

What a bummer. 8 minutes to go and they start trying to chew up clock.....Ball Game! its the basketball equivalent of the prevent defense in football. 

You sit there watching and you know exactly what's going to happen.  Ford on the post game interview repeated his message "this young team doesn't know how to finish games." I think its more the coaching staff who doesn't know how to close out games. Honestly, this team isn't that young either. 

I actually feel better about the rest of the year than I did 3 hours ago. 

This is by far the best team the Bills will play this year and they had them beat. The A10 should seem like Childs play compared to this. 

Did ford actually say that????? Take some accountability 

6 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Gibson passed up 2-3 good looks down the stretch. Really need him to have late game confidence. 

The announcers talked about his unselfishness on the final Nesbitt 3. 

I don't think that was as much unselfishness as fear. He also passed one up on the Collins shot clock violation late in the game. He needs to want to shoot those shots late in the game.

TaLBErt likes this

Couple things: 

1. let’s be honest, we got some favorable calls from the refs when we went on our run.

2. I think that Ford is the right coach for our program, but he absolutely sold us tonight. I just don’t understand keeping the same 5 guys on the floor for an entire half. They were obviously gassed. Also his half court sets are atrocious. He’s lucky he’s got Yuri to keep the offense actually looking decent

Billikenbooster likes this

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Did ford actually say that????? Take some accountability 

He did. He said last year they had the veterans to when these types of games and this year they are young and still learning how to close them out. 

The coaching staff needs to learn how to close out games.

Just now, dlarry said:

He did. He said last year they had the veterans to when these types of games and this year they are young and still learning how to close them out. 

The coaching staff needs to learn how to close out games.

Jesus Christ. There’s only one actual freshman that gets significant minutes. Most of the other players are juniors or seniors in a non-covid world. And the freshman was the one that kept us alive. And you blame it on the team being young? I’m a big Ford supporter. But this right here is pathetic 

It’s clear Travis is going w/ an 8 man rotation. 5 starters are TJ, Yurimania, Gibby, Nesbitt, and Linssen. Off the bench is Jones, Okoro, and Thatch. From what I’ve seen, I think Strickland and Williams could be added. Now Williams has turned out to be the mystery man. He avg 13 ppg as a starter at 2 D1 schools yet can’t find a minute at SLU. Mystery because this guy was brought in as being a sniper. What happened? Strickland can leap through the roof yet he’s grounded. It would seem 5 mpg would be good for him and good for the team. ??? 

When teams turn up the pressure on us in the last 5 min, turnovers and empty trips ensue.  Our antidote to this in games past has been Javonte Perkins. It's tough seeing our guys compete so hard for 35 min only to see our lack of shot creation abilities get exposed in the last 5 min. 

Taking Yuri away at the end of games is the best way to beat us and teams with the personnel to do so will continue to follow that script.  Hopefully, Nesbitt can grow into the closer role in the next month or so.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

WHY DO WE ALWAYS TAKE OUR FOOT OFF THE GAS WITH A LEAD????????????????????

Because there was no gas left in the tank.

been a long time since I posted, season tickets holder…

these are some epic chokes this year, sure…but is anyone else still concerned about how jimmerson just has an insane ability to just completely vanish?  i’d have to dig around, but he has been a ghost in some major games.  now that he is basically, i guess, our end game scorer…how do we win these games with him as our guy?  6 shots tonight. 2 airballs. early…and when we needed a bucket, he just looks like a guy who wants nothing to do with that pressure.

Mrs CBFan had to hide the coach Ford bobble head that was given away tonight so I would not smack it around. 

With a 13 point lead a timeout and the players running and playing hard was when coach Ford needed to sub players.  SLU is playing the 13th ranked team in the country and there was no chance they would have kept that run going.

Thatch plays good defense and is tough and can play with these guys.  Ford brought in Jones to rest Yuri so use him you can put a rested Yuri back in.  Coach Ford showed no respect to Auburn’s talent thinking his tired players could finish Auburn off.

I listen to Christmas music on the long drive to Cedar Hill to chill out.

I like coach Ford, our team lost it’s best player and the team almost beat Auburn and you can bet Auburn had a lot of respect for our players.

Games like this used to be blowout losses now there is a chance to win without our best player.

Loosing players like Perkins meant a long season of frustration of low scoring games.

It will be a competitive conference season that I expect this team to win the conference title.

almaman and Billikenbooster like this

The guys that were on the bench in the second half were the same that allowed a massive run for auburn in the first half. The logic of sitting our guys while up, and allowing a quick run from auburn, then putting our gassed players right back in, in a now much close game with a lot of time left…. isn’t air tight. Linssen doesn’t get banged up, and we definitely at least rotate him and Francis in and out. A gimpy Linssen would’ve been an absolute liability though. 

I don’t know if ford still thinks he has Goodwin on the squad to just leave dudes out there for an entire game, but tired bodies lead to mistakes.

It was clear that the only two guys on our team that could handle the ball with confidence against that tough defense was yuri and Nesbit.  And I get the thought, “hey, those guys have it rolling so I’m leaving them in there”, but I think you have to find a way to give them a breather.

either way, have to learn how to execute AND COACH down the stretch. 

Billiken Rich likes this