SLU vs. Drake Las Vegas

JGR6396

Anyone else heading to Vegas for the Drake game?  I’ll be there, along with a few others. 

For consideration: $78 STL-LAS round-trip flights are available, arriving 21st, red-eye back on the night of the 22nd leaving at midnight. (Full disclosure, it’s Frontier)

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Anyone else heading to Vegas for the Drake game?  I’ll be there, along with a few others. 

For consideration: $78 STL-LAS round-trip flights are available, arriving 21st, red-eye back on the night of the 22nd leaving at midnight. (Full disclosure, it’s Frontier)

I only see like $300 on Frontier 

27 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

i'm too lazy to look it up, but i was told this week that getting to vegas no big deal but leaving vegas requires a negative chinese flu virus test result and if you cant get or test positive you will be in a two week quarantine.   so be careful for those of you heading out.   might want to check my third party hearsay before you head out.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i'm too lazy to look it up, but i was told this week that getting to vegas no big deal but leaving vegas requires a negative chinese flu virus test result and if you cant get or test positive you will be in a two week quarantine.   so be careful for those of you heading out.   might want to check my third party hearsay before you head out.  

Sounds like nonsense.

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Maybe if you are fling flying international to Europe. 

Agree that sounds like some disinformation.  I've flown all over,  JFK, EWR, STL, DCA, HOU, DFW, ATL, AUS, Little Rock, El Paso with no such issues. 

Wish I could go, love laying some sports parlays while in town. 

Just now, willie said:

Maybe if you are fling flying international to Europe. 

this was from a man that was supposed to be flying out of mid america airport to vegas for a long weekend.   he said he got the word from an employee at the hotel he was planning to stay at.   like i said, i didnt check on it.   it isnt unheard of my wife and i had to endure some pretty extensive covid policies when we went to hawaii last winter.   

45 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Will there be proof of vaccination at the game??? If not, I would recommend not attending, much too dangerous.. all Billiken fans should already know this...

billiken_roy likes this

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I only see like $300 on Frontier 

Looks like the flight did jump to $130(still not bad) the return flight is listed on the 23rd since it leaves at 12:17AM. Outbound flight is the 5:25pm direct flight on the 21st

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

this was from a man that was supposed to be flying out of mid america airport to vegas for a long weekend.   he said he got the word from an employee at the hotel he was planning to stay at.   like i said, i didnt check on it.   it isnt unheard of my wife and i had to endure some pretty extensive covid policies when we went to hawaii last winter.   

https://nvhealthresponse.nv.gov/travel-visitors/

I don't see anything about COVID testing for domestic flights.  I think your buddy got some bad info.  Either way it's probably best to double-check all COVID related rules before you travel or attend an event.  They are always subject to change.

billiken_roy likes this

We were in Las Vegas the weekend before Thanksgiving, and there was no outbound test actual physical check for our domestic flight, nor for our inbound flight into LAS.  I just checked the Las Vegas Airport website and saw nothing about an outbound test check.  The safest course is to check the website ahead of time.

Southwest does have a type of Covid confirmation (vaccine or negative test) click online and at the kiosk before it allows one to check in/get boarding pass.

The SLU-Drake game is at South Point Arena (& Equestrian Center). which is 7.8 miles, a 10 minute drive, south of the Las Vegas Airport.

31 minutes ago, JGR6396 said:

Looks like the flight did jump to $130(still not bad) the return flight is listed on the 23rd since it leaves at 12:17AM. Outbound flight is the 5:25pm direct flight on the 21st

Couple this with a stay at the Knights Inn and you have a very economical Holiday Trip. 

jonny karate and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Agree that sounds like some disinformation.  I've flown all over,  JFK, EWR, STL, DCA, HOU, DFW, ATL, AUS, Little Rock, El Paso with no such issues. 

Wish I could go, love laying some sports parlays while in town. 

On behalf of all Americans, how in the world did you have no issues flying into EWR? If Dante had wrote about a 10th gate of hell, it would be Newark/Liberty.

1 hour ago, thatskablamo said:

On behalf of all Americans, how in the world did you have no issues flying into EWR? If Dante had wrote about a 10th gate of hell, it would be Newark/Liberty.

I'd take EWR over LGA or JFK seven days a week and twice on Sunday but my sample size is probably smaller than yours. 

Too close to Christmas to attend Vegas Drake game in person but I may call Perennial Lockwood to see if they carry Flo Hoops if anyone is down to watch. If not, @Box and Won said he'd host at his house. 

thatskablamo, Westy03, SShoe and 1 other like this

23 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU leads the all-time series with Drake 53-30.  The two were longtime Missouri Valley Conference mates.  The last meeting was on 11/29/1986, a 75-56 SLU win in Honolulu, Hawaii.

I looked this up and with 83 games, we have played Drake more than any other team, ever.  Pretty cool.  Next on the list is Cincy at 78, Tulsa at 74, and Bradley at 70.  Louisville is next with 67 games, followed by Dayton with 66 meetings.  Playing the Flyers twice per year will raise them up the list. 

It would be great to resume the rivalries that have died.

Compton and RUBillsFan like this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I looked this up and with 83 games, we have played Drake more than any other team, ever.  Pretty cool.  Next on the list is Cincy at 78, Tulsa at 74, and Bradley at 70.  Dayton is next with 66 meetings.  Playing the Flyers twice per year will raise them up the list. 

interesting

Just now, HoosierPal said:

I looked this up and with 83 games, we have played Drake more than any other team, ever.  Pretty cool.  Next on the list is Cincy at 78, Tulsa at 74, and Bradley at 70.  Dayton is next with 66 meetings.  Playing the Flyers twice per year will raise them up the list. 

That group of Drake, Cincinnati, Tulsa, and Bradley were all fellow members with SLU of the Missouri Valley Conference.  Cincinnati and SLU remained conference mates in the Metro, Great Midwest and Conference USA.

The Missouri Valley Conference was once a Top 5 conference, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis State, Bradley, Tulsa, Wichita State, SLU and others, in the earlier days powerful Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State).  I remember reading Street & Smith's as a teenager in the early '70's about the Valley outposts, as the Valley had expanded all the way to the then West Texas State (now D-2 West Texas A&M in Canyon, Texas in the Texas Panhandle, which spawned Ron Ekker) and New Mexico State in Las Cruces, NM, and the bigger media markets in the new Metro, many of which were once MVC schools.  Then SLU AD Larry Albus was the first Metro Conference Commissioner.

The Missouri Valley Conference Game of the Week came on the air on KTVI, Channel 2 in St. Louis, then the ABC affiliate, at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoons, right after American Bandstand, with Billiken great Easy Ed Macauley providing the commentary.  The later Metro Game of the Week had the then KSD (now KSDK) Channel 5's Ron Jacober on play by play and former Cincinnati and NBA great Oscar Robertson on the commentary.

HoosierPal likes this

When Rich Grawer began as SLU Coach, he had pulled out and hung in the rafters at West Pine Gym the banners of the old Missouri Valley Conference schools, even though SLU then was just beginning its time in the Midwestern City Conference (MCC), now Horizon League.  I remember seeing Wichita State's banner hanging in the rafters.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU leads the all-time series with Drake 53-30.  The two were longtime Missouri Valley Conference mates.  The last meeting was on 11/29/1986, a 75-56 SLU win in Honolulu, Hawaii.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I looked this up and with 83 games, we have played Drake more than any other team, ever.  Pretty cool.  Next on the list is Cincy at 78, Tulsa at 74, and Bradley at 70.  Louisville is next with 67 games, followed by Dayton with 66 meetings.  Playing the Flyers twice per year will raise them up the list. 

51 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

That group of Drake, Cincinnati, Tulsa, and Bradley were all fellow members with SLU of the Missouri Valley Conference.  Cincinnati and SLU remained conference mates in the Metro, Great Midwest and Conference USA.

The Missouri Valley Conference was once a Top 5 conference, Louisville, Cincinnati, Memphis State, Bradley, Tulsa, Wichita State, SLU and others, in the earlier days powerful Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State).  I remember reading Street & Smith's as a teenager in the early '70's about the Valley outposts, as the Valley had expanded all the way to the then West Texas State (now D-2 West Texas A&M in Canyon, Texas in the Texas Panhandle, which spawned Ron Ekker) and New Mexico State in Las Cruces, NM, and the bigger media markets in the new Metro, many of which were once MVC schools.  Then SLU AD Larry Albus was the first Metro Conference Commissioner.

The Missouri Valley Conference Game of the Week came on the air on KTVI, Channel 2 in St. Louis, then the ABC affiliate, at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday afternoons, right after American Bandstand, with Billiken great Easy Ed Macauley providing the commentary.  The later Metro Game of the Week had the then KSD (now KSDK) Channel 5's Ron Jacober on play by play and former Cincinnati and NBA great Oscar Robertson on the commentary.

SLU's record book lists Oklahoma A&M and Oklahoma State separately. If you add SLU's all-time records against each - 11-23 and 19-32, respectively - it's 85 total games. So we've technically played OSU more than Drake, although this meeting will bring it to a 1-game margin of 85 to 84.

HoosierPal likes this