Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

9 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Could not agree more.  No symptoms, lace them up.

Yet most of you SLU fans were fine with banning unvaccinated fans with no symptoms from games??? Where was the outrage then??? and now we don’t care about testing non symptomatic players even though we now know the vaccine isn’t preventing anything???  for those who ripped me and others for pointing out this insanity, feel free to apologize...

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, A10Ref said:

I believe slu is following the city’s guidelines… It’s BS and it seems like basketball, and athletics as a whole, have their hands tied by the SLU academic-side folks. 

Have you had this Covid recently?  My son had it. He is vaccinated. He had fever and chills for a day and then fatigue for a couple of more days. No way he would have been able to have any significant physical activity. 
What is BS about that?  How many players have actual symptoms?  

RUBillsFan and A10Ref like this

Dammit!  SLU and the city screwing the team AGAIN!

From Stu's article interviewing Ford in the Post:  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-will-be-shorthanded-as-it-returns-to-action-against-richmond/article_7d5130c4-341a-5bc1-8660-c6f1760fb742.html

There are so many different protocols, it’s unreal,” Ford said. “I’ve spent way too much time tryging to figure this stuff out. I’m going to stop worrying about it and do what people tell me to do.

“There’s more ambiguity than last year; so many people are going by so many different rules. I’m shocked there hasn’t been more of a standard and that the NCAA hasn’t put something out. Maybe they can’t.”

The Billikens operate under protcols specific to SLU and the city while taking into consideration guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ford made it clear the Billikens will be shorthanded without saying how many players or who will be available. He said he wouldn’t know the full picture until Sunday morning.

Ford said SLU is following a five-day isolation policy and that players must test negative before they can return. SLU also is following a return-to-play process that follows isolation. Most schools do not have mandatory testing, and SLU’s policy of requiring a negative test to return to play is also not the norm, Ford said.

Like I said before, St. Louis, has more stringent regulations than a lot of other places. As long as we follow these more stringent regulations, as is confirmed in the last Ford interview, we will not be able to play with a greater frequency due to Covid regulations than other teams can and do play.

dennis_w likes this

3 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

Dammit!  SLU and the city screwing the team AGAIN!

From Stu's article interviewing Ford in the Post:  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-will-be-shorthanded-as-it-returns-to-action-against-richmond/article_7d5130c4-341a-5bc1-8660-c6f1760fb742.html

There are so many different protocols, it’s unreal,” Ford said. “I’ve spent way too much time tryging to figure this stuff out. I’m going to stop worrying about it and do what people tell me to do.

“There’s more ambiguity than last year; so many people are going by so many different rules. I’m shocked there hasn’t been more of a standard and that the NCAA hasn’t put something out. Maybe they can’t.”

The Billikens operate under protcols specific to SLU and the city while taking into consideration guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ford made it clear the Billikens will be shorthanded without saying how many players or who will be available. He said he wouldn’t know the full picture until Sunday morning.

Ford said SLU is following a five-day isolation policy and that players must test negative before they can return. SLU also is following a return-to-play process that follows isolation. Most schools do not have mandatory testing, and SLU’s policy of requiring a negative test to return to play is also not the norm, Ford said.

Thanks to Freddy p I bet. 

The city’s protocols keep getting brought up.  I went to the City’s website to review the currently in effect emergency public health orders and couldn’t find anything the would be causing undue burdens on SLU.  I know the City is a a mess, so I am assuming I missed the order.  Can anyone link to an emergency order in the City that is currently in effect that is causing SLU extra problems?

Slu still in small time mode here. Can’t put this on the city. The city has no say in how often testing occurs. Testing vaccinated asymptomatic people is silly and if you’re in a jurisdiction with strict protocols once a positive appears it’s completely insane. This gives the appearance that there is no difference in treatment regardless of vaccination status which just gives ammo for folks to question recent vax requirements. 

Seems like someone at Slu, likely Freddy, has gone off the deep end regarding Covid with the mid season vax requirement and now a booster requirement for all students when most of the country including the messaging from the federal government is moving on. 

BigMouthBilliken likes this

6 minutes ago, 2010andBeyond said:

Slu still in small time mode here. Can’t put this on the city. The city has no say in how often testing occurs. Testing vaccinated asymptomatic people is silly and if you’re in a jurisdiction with strict protocols once a positive appears it’s completely insane. This gives the appearance that there is no difference in treatment regardless of vaccination status which just gives ammo for folks to question recent vax requirements. 

Seems like someone at Slu, likely Freddy, has gone off the deep end regarding Covid with the mid season vax requirement and now a booster requirement for all students when most of the country including the messaging from the federal government is moving on. 

Freddy more interested in appeasing leftist students and professors who block traffic because they don't like a speaker the young Republicans have booked than supporting Billikens basketball. It's always about politics. 

So the answer to when something happens that impacts what you want is to blame the enforcer.  Case in point, if it is illegal to speed and you get a ticket then we should raise the speed limit.  I am not taking a position on whether the protocols are right or wrong - they are what they are.  Rather than blame the cop for giving you the ticket plead your case to the judge.  Some on this board are ready to blame SLU at the drop of the hat - none of us really know who set the protocols.  Ford said in the article that all the conferences and teams are following different protocols.  Perhaps the NCAA should set one standard and then let the schools use that as their justification for doing something different then what a local government may have in place.  What the City may or may not be doing is being used by the Blues and all other venues in the City and they have somehow made it work.  The A10 is the one who said if you have 7 players then you have to play but they could have said 8 or 9 or 10.  The real problem here is the A10 wants the games played at mostly any costs so they also have a part in this issue.  Once again, we yell at the cop not the judge or lawmakers.  

Ford seems hell bent on playing - a very common attitude of many coaches.  I remember when we would cancel school for bad roads but the coaches would want to still practice and play the game that day.  Now perhaps the road conditions had improved sometimes but there was a rule that said if school is not in session then all activities where canceled for that day.  Coaches would twist themselves in all kinds of shapes to figure out how to get around it often simply saying the practice and the game is only optional for the players and not required.  Of course all of us know that that was just silly the unspoken requirement to be there while not said was certainly being implied.  As I said, common sense is seldom used when we try to get what we want.

RiseOfTheBillikens and BrockL like this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

He had fever and chills for a day and then fatigue for a couple of more days.   

sounds like the flu.  before i started getting flu shots every year, i would get it every year in the winter.   strangely never was told to be quarantined, or urged to stay home.  in fact always strongly encouraged to come back to work asap.   what's different?

BIG BILL FAN, HenryB and dennis_w like this

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

sounds like the flu.  before i started getting flu shots every year, i would get it every year in the winter.   strangely never was told to be quarantined, or urged to stay home.  in fact always strongly encouraged to come back to work asap.   what's different?

If one of my coworkers got the flu I would much prefer they stay home 

Ironbills, hmart23, BrockL and 1 other like this

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I don’t want to get into Covid vs Flu but if people had the flu they should quarantine too. This is something that should have been done pre Covid.
There is no reason to go to work or school or any social gathering when you are sick and spread it around to everybody else.

I know it is kind of a badge of honor to work through illness but it’s isn’t smart and it puts other people at risk.

If you are sick and it is contagious stay at home. It doesn’t matter what the illness is.

lary, i am not disagreeing with you but for most of my life, that hasnt been the case.  but now we have the chinese flu  virus which has obviously weakened considerably and is similar to the flu.  even now, sheeple are not asked to wear masks, stay home etc when they have the flu.   i just want to know what we dont treat all these viruses the same way?   it is total b.s. that the deep state is using this current virus to gain control over the population.   this isnt going to end well imo.  and i am not talking healthwise.   more and more people are tired of the inconsistent demands.  

HenryB, AGB91, dennis_w and 1 other like this

14 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I don’t want to get into Covid vs Flu but if people had the flu they should quarantine too. This is something that should have been done pre Covid.
There is no reason to go to work or school or any social gathering when you are sick and spread it around to everybody else.

I know it is kind of a badge of honor to work through illness but it’s isn’t smart and it puts other people at risk.

If you are sick and it is contagious stay at home. It doesn’t matter what the illness is.

Need to just get back to (or maybe for the first time) common sense. If you are sick, stay home from work, school, sporting events, etc until you are in the clear. Doesn’t matter if it’s cold, Covid, flu, whatever. At this point, with vaccines, treatments, and enough history, people should be able to assess their own risk and mitigate as appropriate without hysteria. 

dlarry likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

lary, i am not disagreeing with you but for most of my life, that hasnt been the case.  but now we have the chinese flu  virus which has obviously weakened considerably and is similar to the flu.  even now, sheeple are not asked to wear masks, stay home etc when they have the flu.   i just want to know what we dont treat all these viruses the same way?   it is total b.s. that the deep state is using this current virus to gain control over the population.   this isnt going to end well imo.  and i am not talking healthwise.   more and more people are tired of the inconsistent demands.  

No doubt the inconsistencies are maddening and turning Covid into a political weapon has been eye opening and gross. 
My one hope in all of this is that people and companies have become more aware of the importance of self care and caring for others around you by staying home when sick. Hopefully we can use this as a learning opportunity for the future when it comes to the use of sick days.

rgbilliken likes this

I guess some people are just incapable of not interjecting their political leanings into every discussion.  I WANT TO KNOW FRANCIS OKORO’S STANCE ON THE GREEN NEW DEAL, AND I WANT TO KNOW IT NOW!!  See you boys at 1pm.  Go bills!

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Wrong.

Positive for Covid. No way he could have played a basketball game in that week. 

Before you give out medical opinions at least sleep at Holiday Inn Express. 

37 minutes ago, dlarry said:

No doubt the inconsistencies are maddening and turning Covid into a political weapon has been eye opening and gross. 
My one hope in all of this is that people and companies have become more aware of the importance of self care and caring for others around you by staying home when sick. Hopefully we can use this as a learning opportunity for the future when it comes to the use of sick days.

I believe the new acceptance of working from home should help this idea of staying home take hold.  If you are sick but feel as if you can work then do it from home if at all possible.  

dlarry likes this

9 minutes ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

I guess some people are just incapable of not interjecting their political leanings into every discussion.  I WANT TO KNOW FRANCIS OKORO’S STANCE ON THE GREEN NEW DEAL, AND I WANT TO KNOW IT NOW!!  See you boys at 1pm.  Go bills!

Only if you’re vaccinated, right???

49 minutes ago, dlarry said:

i dont think the woke businesses and govt and deep state agencies give a damn about self care and others around you.   it is just their best guess on control.   their new toy.  and yes that is gross.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I believe the new acceptance of working from home should help this idea of staying home take hold.  If you are sick but feel as if you can work then do it from home if at all possible.  

most of america works for small businesses that may not be capable of a work from home set up.   i work for a small bank and they are decades behind in technology and didnt think once about setting any of us up to work from home.   once the govt feebie covid days were used up we were told use your vacation and sick time if you need more time away from the bank.   you can say, "find another job", but at 62 years old, that isnt easy.   plus until this b.s. came along this is the best workplace i have ever been so i have no desire to move on.   

Billiken Rich likes this