Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

1 hour ago, ACE said:

That's a good one - the second player can practically bearhug the player with the ball and the refs will still call a jump ball.

That is a good one but the WORST is the stiff-arm dribble protection. It's like the offensive player with the ball can do whatever he wants to create space whether it's in the backcourt or even on a dribble drive

bauman likes this

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, White Pelican said:

FFS, I guess they're trying to get some butts in the seats for a not so attractive opponent and do some good in the process. What the hell does that have to do with games being canceled OR the reasons thereof?  SLU reportedly has a billion$+ endowment. I think they'll do just fine.

White Pelican Universities are very large enterprises with thousands of employees, numerous buildings, and diverse research efforts. The University runs maintenance, gardening, janitorial, transportation, concessions, and security services to name a few. Managing an enterprise like this is a complex process which has, in my opinion, to give careful attention to financial issues. I worked as a disability consultant for the MIT HR Dept  for years, and handled a most diverse spectrum of cases all of which presented special considerations. I do have a very clear idea of how complex a business enterprise a University can be.

Believe me, this is true, a billion dollars will not keep SLU operating for long if and when they start eating away the endowment's principal to support operations. The earnings produced by the endowment can be used as needed with no major harm, not the principal. I have no idea how productive SLUs endowment has been over the years. I also have no idea what the costs and revenue of the Athletic Dept. are. I believe, and this may not be correct, that the primary source of income for the Athletic Dept is basketball. I know the  University maintains a large number of sports that bring essentially no revenue and have to be supported from other revenue streams within the Athletic Dept, primarily I think from basketball related income. If attendance is poor for the games that are actually played here, and if many games are cancelled, this will affect the income. It will also affect the concessions' revenue, TV revenues, and the like. I assume basketball revenue was lower than normal last season, and I have the feeling this year is also showing a below average basketball revenue.

If you believe the endowment should be used to cover shortfalls as a viable solution, then go for it, but I firmly believe this is a major mistake.

willie likes this

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

White Pelican Universities are very large enterprises with thousands of employees, numerous buildings, and diverse research efforts. The University runs maintenance, gardening, janitorial, transportation, concessions, and security services to name a few. Managing an enterprise like this is a complex process which has, in my opinion, to give careful attention to financial issues. I worked as a disability consultant for the MIT HR Dept  for years, and handled a most diverse spectrum of cases all of which presented special considerations. I do have a very clear idea of how complex a business enterprise a University can be.

Believe me, this is true, a billion dollars will not keep SLU operating for long if and when they start eating away the endowment's principal to support operations. The earnings produced by the endowment can be used as needed with no major harm, not the principal. I have no idea how productive SLUs endowment has been over the years. I also have no idea what the costs and revenue of the Athletic Dept. are. I believe, and this may not be correct, that the primary source of income for the Athletic Dept is basketball. I know the  University maintains a large number of sports that bring essentially no revenue and have to be supported from other revenue streams within the Athletic Dept, primarily I think from basketball related income. If attendance is poor for the games that are actually played here, and if many games are cancelled, this will affect the income. It will also affect the concessions' revenue, TV revenues, and the like. I assume basketball revenue was lower than normal last season, and I have the feeling this year is also showing a below average basketball revenue.

If you believe the endowment should be used to cover shortfalls as a viable solution, then go for it, but I firmly believe this is a major mistake.

I am not even sure if it is legal to use the principal in an endowment.  Normally they money is specifically earmarked as an income producer.

Old guy likes this

27 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

https://www.washubears.com/general/2021-22/releases/20211229oep9cw

WashU is banning fans from sporting events. All 42 people are angry. 

I wouldn't be surprised if SLU tried to keep up with the joneses and put something like this in place. 

They just doubled down on fans by booking Red Panda for Sunday.

rgbilliken likes this

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Don't forget this is the MFer who inferred that SLU was dodging Richmond (LOL imagine) last year at the beginning of the covid pause

props to this guy.  Really thought we would have resigned after that dumpster fire he created and kept throwing gas on it. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

props to this guy.  Really thought we would have resigned after that dumpster fire he created and kept throwing gas on it. 

Dude wants to be SID at Richmond so bad the way he carries water for that program. Meanwhile we get Post Dispatch writers who would rather be covering the song of the day.

bauman likes this

16 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

That is a good one but the WORST is the stiff-arm dribble protection. It's like the offensive player with the ball can do whatever he wants to create space whether it's in the backcourt or even on a dribble drive

When you're watching a TV broadcast & this is actually finally called a foul, they show the replay and the announcers act like it's an obvious foul call despite that fact that it's been happening most of the game & hasn't been called.

TV announcer #1: "You can't put your arm up like that as the offensive player"

TV announcer #2: "Yep.  That's an obvious foul.  What as the offensive player thinking."

I remember Goodwin getting called for an O foul on this type of play near the end of a close loss.  I can't remember the specific game, but the call & the announcers reaction to it drove me nuts.  

On 12/30/2021 at 8:09 AM, cheeseman said:

I am not even sure if it is legal to use the principal in an endowment.  Normally they money is specifically earmarked as an income producer.

Harvard, my figures are about 2-3 years old, after one of their large fund raising events that netted about $6 B (SLU just cannot do that), spent the following amounts the year following this large fund raiser: a) the full amount raised, 2) the full amount of the profits of their endowment ($37 B in the endowment at the time, cannot recall the level of profit), and 3) If I recall correctly, an extra $360 million or so out of the endowment fund. I assume this $360 M (a bit less than 1% of the endowment funds) had to come from the endowment principal. This was published in the Harvard Magazine. I believe they were building a new Engineering School at the time and needed a lot of extra spending funds. I do not recall reading about any problems caused by this withdrawal of endowment funds. However, it is possible that specific institutions have explicit rules against withdrawing funds out of the endowment's principal. I do not know what the rules at SLU allow regarding their endowment principal.