Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

You're the boss, but it is somewhat strange moderation to hide those posts (where people had respectful, substantive dialogue) but allow childish back-and-forth about COVID-19. 

Right.  Apologies if there are any Billiken fans in China reading this board, but I don't think anyone was arguing that trying to buy American & trying not to buy things from China is a bad thing.  Just lamenting that it is difficult to actually do that.

On the other hand, I can see how that is sort of political and has pretty much nothing to do with Billiken basketball / athletics as opposed to COVID cancellations which is political, but does have to do with the Bills.

Everyone keeps referring to the cause of the cancelations being a "travel ban."  If the A-10 says we can play with players and one coach, it knows that those 7 players and 1 coach still need to travel to the game.  So, it sounds like the culprit is the "travel ban."  WTF is that?  Why are other teams playing when they have players testing positive.  Those teams seem to be able to get on planes and go play games if a few of their guys are out with positive tests.  Why exactly are we unable to do the same?  Is the travel ban a City rule, a university policy, a TSA policy, an A-10 policy, an NCAA policy???

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

this whole string is pretty stupid steve.  imo, close the whole thing.  nobody knows anything definitive and everything is pretty speculative and depressing. 

last sentence sums up our board. It's hard being a Bills fan etc. :)

41 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Everyone keeps referring to the cause of the cancelations being a "travel ban."  If the A-10 says we can play with players and one coach, it knows that those 7 players and 1 coach still need to travel to the game.  So, it sounds like the culprit is the "travel ban."  WTF is that?  Why are other teams playing when they have players testing positive.  Those teams seem to be able to get on planes and go play games if a few of their guys are out with positive tests.  Why exactly are we unable to do the same?  Is the travel ban a City rule, a university policy, a TSA policy, an A-10 policy, an NCAA policy???

Who is everyone and how would they know?  The scores of teams that are cancelling games are being purposely vague about the criteria they're using. Logical people would admit they don't know but MBMs aren't logical. 

Folks are frustrated.  I get it.  So is every other team's fans whose games are being cancelled with minimal explanation.

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who is everyone and how would they know?  The scores of teams that are cancelling games are being purposely vague about the criteria they're using. Logical people would admit they don't know but MBMs aren't logical. 

Folks are frustrated.  I get it.  So is every other team whose games are being cancelled with minimal explanation.

frustration is hearing people complain about games being canceled, but are fine with people being denied entrance to a game because they don't  have a vaccination, that doesn't protect you or anyone else anyway.....seems a bit hypocritical to me

51 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The travel ban was the cause of the Vegas game being canceled.

52 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

It was me. I apologize to my family, friends, enemies, and those that aren't sure. 

I was tired of seeing all the walking call that I don't believe are actually travels, so I issued a "travel ban" It was misunderstood. Again, I'm sorry

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

It was me. I apologize to my family, friends, enemies, and those that aren't sure. 

I was tired of seeing all the walking call that I don't believe are actually travels, so I issued a "travel ban" It was misunderstood. Again, I'm sorry

work  on 3 second rule next:)

slufanskip likes this

49 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Palming the ball needs to be on the list.  Of course, if they enforced the rule, there would be a TO on every possession.

Palming is a tough call and imo hard to make. How far under the ball does your hand need to be before you carry? I'd prefer they not call it if the angle of your hand would not allow the ball to sit in it without falling out. A good crossover will start with your hand almost if not slightly facing up and then roll over the ball. I've seen and heard a lot of fans yell for a carry when it's not. 

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Palming is a tough call and imo hard to make. How far under the ball does your hand need to be before you carry? I'd prefer they not call it if the angle of your hand would not allow the ball to sit in it without falling out. A good crossover will start with your hand almost if not slightly facing up and then roll over the ball. I've seen and heard a lot of fans yell for a carry when it's not. 

It's usually called about once a month. Same as 3 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy II said:

-my guess is the networks/stations that carry NHL or college basketball are going nuts right along with us, not that it matters a whole lot

Oh yes, it matters a lot. TV coverage is providing a steady stream of funds to the schools playing the games. If college basketball becomes a jigzaw puzzle of different regulations for different schools and leagues, the TV coverage will be sure to shift to those leagues and schools that cancel less games from leagues and schools that cancel more. If you think SLU is doing fine with the income resulting from basketball this season, consider this: SLU advertised free tickets to the UMass game in exchange for warm pieces of used clothing to be donated to needy people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the intention or morality of this, but economically this is a disaster. Why should you pay to see a game when you can come in with an old coat you have kept in a closet for years and go in free?

50 minutes ago, willie said:

It's usually called about once a month. Same as 3 seconds. 

Don't get me started on 3 seconds. Part of that is because it's rarely called on kids, so they don't get used to getting in and out of the lane. Imo it should be about 5 real seconds and called diligently. 3 seconds is pretty short if you go by 3 real seconds. 

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Don't get me started on 3 seconds. Part of that is because it's rarely called on kids, so they don't get used to getting in and out of the lane. Imo it should be about 5 real seconds and called diligently. 3 seconds is pretty short if you go by 3 real seconds. 

I'm with you on this one. The rule was 3 seconds when the "key" was a lot skinnier than it is now. Due to inflation of the key area ("paint" or "lane" for you youngsters), I think 5 seconds would be appropriate.

58 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Oh yes, it matters a lot. TV coverage is providing a steady stream of funds to the schools playing the games. If college basketball becomes a jigzaw puzzle of different regulations for different schools and leagues, the TV coverage will be sure to shift to those leagues and schools that cancel less games from leagues and schools that cancel more. If you think SLU is doing fine with the income resulting from basketball this season, consider this: SLU advertised free tickets to the UMass game in exchange for warm pieces of used clothing to be donated to needy people. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the intention or morality of this, but economically this is a disaster. Why should you pay to see a game when you can come in with an old coat you have kept in a closet for years and go in free?

FFS, I guess they're trying to get some butts in the seats for a not so attractive opponent and do some good in the process. What the hell does that have to do with games being canceled OR the reasons thereof?  SLU reportedly has a billion$+ endowment. I think they'll do just fine.

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

good idea. main reason not as called as before  is because it isn't violated as much since the3 pt era.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I love this discussion of minor foul or violation adjustments. I’ve been beating the drum for years that I would like to see the second person to a loose ball on the floor be called for a foul at the smallest contact made. Tired of watching second player jump on the first  guy to the ball. 

That's a good one - the second player can practically bearhug the player with the ball and the refs will still call a jump ball.