Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It truly doesn’t matter if it’s us or them. It does not matter if you don’t have fans or not. This season is over unless something miraculous happens with SLU/City protocols.

Omicron seems to be so contagious that it'll lead to a huge spike in cases, but the hope is that it'll burn out relatively quickly, right?  If I had to guess, a bunch of games are gonna continue to get cancelled / postponed in January, some in February will as well, by March it's mostly over allowing conference tournaments & NCAAs to proceed in a relatively normal fashion.  

NoCoBillsFan likes this

57 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

So we didn’t have 7 scholarship players and one coach available?

If you are to believe SLU's own COVID dashboard, they at the most had only one player test positive for COVID before the scheduled game in Vegas.  I say at the most one player test positive because between the end of the Auburn game and the announcement of the cancelation of the game in Vegas, one university student total and zero university employees tested positive for COVID.  According to the University's own protocols, the game in Vegas didn't need to be canceled.

https://www.slu.edu/health-advisory/index.php

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

If you are to believe SLU's own COVID dashboard, they at the most had only one player test positive for COVID before the scheduled game in Vegas.  I say at the most one player test positive because between the end of the Auburn game and the announcement of the cancelation of the game in Vegas, one university student total and zero university employees tested positive for COVID.  According to the University's own protocols, the game in Vegas didn't need to be canceled.

I would bet the UMass game doesn’t need to be canceled either. 

21 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It truly doesn’t matter if it’s us or them. It does not matter if you don’t have fans or not. This season is over unless something miraculous happens with SLU/City protocols.

The city's protocols aren't the issue here.  SLU's protocols shouldn't be an issue either because according to SLU's posted protocols vaccinated students and employees don't need to quarantine after being exposed to someone who has tested positive.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone at SLU has decided to impose more stringent protocols on the athletic programs. 

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Updates on the dashboard were paused for winter break. Slu sent out an email about it on December 22nd to all students and faculty

RUBillsFan likes this

9 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Omicron seems to be so contagious that it'll lead to a huge spike in cases, but the hope is that it'll burn out relatively quickly, right?  If I had to guess, a bunch of games are gonna continue to get cancelled / postponed in January, some in February will as well, by March it's mostly over allowing conference tournaments & NCAAs to proceed in a relatively normal fashion.  

From what some epidemiologists are saying we are in for a terrible January (mostly in terms of cases not deaths) possibly followed by a much much better outlook by February.

Just now, NoCoBillsFan said:

Updates on the dashboard were paused for winter break. Slu sent out an email about it on December 22nd to all students and faculty

The dashboard was updated on December 21 according to the dashboard.  That means that SLU canceled the Drake game because one player tested positive.

14 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is still unacceptable.

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The city's protocols aren't the issue here.  SLU's protocols shouldn't be an issue either because according to SLU's posted protocols vaccinated students and employees don't need to quarantine after being exposed to someone who has tested positive.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if someone at SLU has decided to impose more stringent protocols on the athletic programs. 

-it would be the SLU thing to do 

billiken_roy likes this

Does anybody on here have any idea whose decision / policy led to the cancellation of the SLU/UMass game, or the other A10 games that were cancelled on Thursday? It seems to me that the answer is no…

4 minutes ago, NH said:

Does anybody on here have any idea whose decision / policy led to the cancellation of the SLU/UMass game, or the other A10 games that were cancelled on Thursday? It seems to me that the answer is no…

https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/12/28/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-game-against-saint-louis-postponed.aspx

AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts men's basketball game against Saint Louis on Thursday has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocol within Saint Louis' program.

The Atlantic 10's revised policy on COVID-19 forfeiture policy can be found here.

The Minutemen now open Atlantic 10 play on Sunday, Jan. 2 at 2 p.m. at Fordham.

Wasn't williams out due to illness before the Auburn game? and then with Linssen possibly hurt or with a bad ankle, that's already two players down. Then there was the "at least one positive" in the SLU program (I would assume due to Omircron's contagion that there are more than one now), which leads to a minimum of 3 players unavailable and up to however many you want to count. I would imagine that they are following A10 protocol on this cancellation especially with all the other cancellations happening in the league. I wish the whole NCAA would do what the NHL did. Just postpone for a week, reset, get players boosted/healthy, then play ball with new guidelines for boosted/vaxxed/healthy 20 year olds.

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

https://umassathletics.com/news/2021/12/28/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-game-against-saint-louis-postponed.aspx

AMHERST, Mass. - The University of Massachusetts men's basketball game against Saint Louis on Thursday has been postponed due to COVID-19 protocol within Saint Louis' program.

The Atlantic 10's revised policy on COVID-19 forfeiture policy can be found here.

The Minutemen now open Atlantic 10 play on Sunday, Jan. 2 at 2 p.m. at Fordham.

That doesn't answer whose decision it was not to play the game. It could be SLU, the A10, UMass or (most likely) all three in conjunction with each other. It seems silly to blame the SLU administration without knowing the facts. We know that the SLU team was allowed to practice after at least one player tested positive, so it's not as if the school is automatically shutting the team down following a positive test.

1 minute ago, NH said:

That doesn't answer whose decision it was not to play the game. It could be SLU, the A10, UMass or (most likely) all three in conjunction with each other. It seems silly to blame the SLU administration without knowing the facts. We know that the SLU team was allowed to practice after at least one player tested positive, so it's not as if the school is automatically shutting the team down following a positive test.

I think it’s pretty clear that they are following SLU protocols. Which are set by the admin who follow the city. 

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that they are following SLU protocols. Which are set by the admin who follow the city. 

With all due respect I don't think you have any basis for saying this. There is not a city policy that is going to cause a game in Amherst, Massachusetts to not be played. It has been reported that the A10 is going with the seven and one rule, meaning that if you have 7 players and 1 coach who are available, you are expected to play the game. If SLU or the city are holding the team to a harsher standard than the A10's rules, SLU will forfeit (which is clearly not what has happened here).  

I understand people want to be able to blame someone, but this stuff is happening all over the country. There is simply no reason to believe that SLU is holding its teams to a harsher standard than most other schools are being held to.

16 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Wasn't williams out due to illness before the Auburn game? and then with Linssen possibly hurt or with a bad ankle, that's already two players down. Then there was the "at least one positive" in the SLU program (I would assume due to Omircron's contagion that there are more than one now), which leads to a minimum of 3 players unavailable and up to however many you want to count. I would imagine that they are following A10 protocol on this cancellation especially with all the other cancellations happening in the league. I wish the whole NCAA would do what the NHL did. Just postpone for a week, reset, get players boosted/healthy, then play ball with new guidelines for boosted/vaxxed/healthy 20 year olds.

honestly if Linnsens ankel isnt 100% this is a blessing in disguise

Here is the A10 policy. It's not 100% clear, but does give some better insight into the process:

Under the revised A-10 COVID policy, games that cannot be played due to positive COVID-19 tests will be postponed and attempted to be rescheduled by the Atlantic 10 Conference office. If a suitable reschedule date cannot be found, the game will be declared a no contest. Conference standings and championship seeding will be based on an approved formula balancing team win-loss records with total number of contests completed. If a team opts to not play the rescheduled contest, the game can be declared a forfeit by the league office. In addition, the conference also revised an earlier policy for requiring teams to complete conference games. The revision requires teams that have seven available scholarship student-athletes and one countable coach to compete in all conference contests. Teams may also participate with less than seven available student-athletes. If a team elects not to play, despite having seven scholarship student-athletes and one coach available, that team will incur a forfeit and be given a loss in the league standings, and the opposing team will be granted a forfeit win.

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What protocol from the city is causing the issues?  SLU's posted protocols say if you are vaccinated you don't have to quarantine if exposed to someone who tests positive.  The city currently doesn't have any emergency orders in place that are more strict than the policy posted on SLU's website.

16 minutes ago, NH said:

Just shut it down, people get what they ask for... if people want to live in perpetual fear, then they don’t deserve the luxury of basketball... there are far more important things going on, like people being forced out of their jobs or young children being forced to take an experimental vaccine. If it’s truly about safety ( ha ha) then shut it down, because there is no rational argument to allow people to congregate based on the standards set by our current leaders....

billiken_roy, Old guy and HenryB like this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

The dashboard was updated on December 21 according to the dashboard.  That means that SLU canceled the Drake game because one player tested positive.

We knew it was one player, but the game was cancelled due to travel restrictions, not quarantining protocols.