Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

I think the A10 has enough respect nationally that they can get two in as long as the winner of the league doesn’t  win the tournament.

I hope your dream comes true, but there is no national respect this year for the A10.  Do you think that the NCAA would put a 50+ NET team that wins the A10 (and not the tourney) over a 40+ Power 5 team that finishes mid conference?  Hasn't happened yet, but never say never.  If you aren't at NET 40 or below, you are at the mercy of the committee. 

Today Davidson is NET 54.  We are next in the A10 at 69.  (Yes, yes, yes, those will change.)  North Carolina is 49.  Memphis is 55, Creighton 57, Florida 59.  Everyone  of those teams gets a bid before Davidson, should they not win the Tourney.  

billiken_roy likes this

6 minutes ago, slubillikens43 said:

I'd like to think if one of our top 4 went 15-3 in conference with no terrible losses and didn't win the conference tournament, they would have a NET around 40 or lower to get the at large.

I don't know how the NET math works, but today the top 7 teams in the A10 are

Davidson 54

SLU 69

VCU 77

Richmond 87

Rhode Island 89

Dayton 102

St. Bonnie 109

GW and LaSalle bottom out the league at 272 and 273.

Beating teams in the 100's - 200's NET isn't going to get your NET down to 40.  Davidson's math might work out, but they could not afford losses to anyone past SLU or VCU.  16-2?  I don't think they have the horses to do that.  Plus they have to play the bottom half of the league.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:42 PM, HoosierPal said:

I hope your dream comes true, but there is no national respect this year for the A10.  Do you think that the NCAA would put a 50+ NET team that wins the A10 (and not the tourney) over a 40+ Power 5 team that finishes mid conference?  Hasn't happened yet, but never say never.  If you aren't at NET 40 or below, you are at the mercy of the committee. 

What do you mean hasn’t happened yet? There has never been a time in which the scenario you describe could have happened, of course it has not happened.

14 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We can win the A10 tourney. So far, I think we’ve got the most deepest talent in this league. My concern  is does Travis get out coached  by guys like Schmidt and Mc Klllop? 

Dayton has more talent than anybody.  They've got multiple top 50 wins.  And their freshmen are ahead of schedule.  Too bad they lost to so many bad teams early.

39 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We can win the A10 tourney. So far, I think we’ve got the most deepest talent in this league. My concern  is does Travis get out coached  by guys like Schmidt and Mc Klllop? 

In Ford’s defense we’ve seen him out coach both of those guys before

Littlebill likes this

On 12/20/2021 at 3:47 PM, slubillikens43 said:

I'd like to think if one of our top 4 went 15-3 in conference with no terrible losses and didn't win the conference tournament, they would have a NET around 40 or lower to get the at large.

Sure, but no one in the A10 has shown the consistency needed to do that.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

So why aren’t they playing Drake?

Frankly I think there was a lot of desire to get home for the holidays and on to conference season. It seemed like we dropped the matchup readily. Unfortunate for fans.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Dayton has more talent than anybody.  They've got multiple top 50 wins.  And their freshmen are ahead of schedule.  Too bad they lost to so many bad teams early.

They almost had another Quad 4 loss tonight. They may have the most talent, but they’re gonna be up and down all year.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No sh!t. This is why protocols need to be altered. The virus has changed, it's become more contagious but less severe(this is fact). Time to only test symptomatic players, plain and simple and excluding those players instead of postponing games.

You are correct.

54 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

No sh!t. This is why protocols need to be altered. The virus has changed, it's become more contagious but less severe(this is fact). Time to only test symptomatic players, plain and simple and excluding those players instead of postponing games.

Or.. just stop testing and if a player is sick (with fever not sniffles) they don’t play. I’ve known 4 or 5 people who’ve picked up Covid over the last 2 weeks (tested positive).. it’s all nasal and throat with some fatigue. It’s a cold.

8 minutes ago, bgtholt88 said:

Or.. just stop testing and if a player is sick (with fever not sniffles) they don’t play. I’ve known 4 or 5 people who’ve picked up Covid over the last 2 weeks (tested positive).. it’s all nasal and throat with some fatigue. It’s a cold.

I hear you BGT and I get it. I also know that it's going to take time and finesse to draw people away from the fear of covid. Which is why I'm taking a conservative approach in my argument. 

I also agree with you because it seems like this variant is almost inescapable as far as contraction and no protocols save for quarantines will keep teams playing through it, fortunately as you said it's very light.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

We are going to have to learn to live with COVID 19.  It isn't going away no matter how many people get vaccinated.  Right now we are going from the pandemic to the virus becoming endemic.  If it follows the pattern of most viruses it will become even less severe than the omicron variant over time. I don't think it is smart to roll back all protocols at this time (as someone else suggested), because earlier more severe strains of COVID 19 are still circulating and we don't know everything about omicron yet.  Many protocols need to be changed now, but that is going to be a hard sell to college administrators who have bought into the fallacy that zero COVID policies can be successful.

It will be interesting to see how long a large segment of society that is really scared and believes in zero COVID policies takes to adjust to the reality that COVID is never going away.  Our leaders have really done the public a disservice.  They have known the almost certain reality that COVID was never going away since the early months of this pandemic, but acted like we could defeat the virus.  They should have long ago been preparing the public for a goal of surviving the pandemic phase of the virus and getting to the point where we live in the world where people live with a virus that has become much less deadly.  

This is really a failure at an NCAA level. The big leagues are altering how they are handling things on the fly - relaxing quarantine times, testing requirements, etc. The NCAA has left this all up to the conferences. That means it is a bunch of academics trying to out-virtue-signal each other.