Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The reason I asked for this thread to be closed is the same stuff is happening in it that caused Steve to lock the one about the new attendance requirements.  My point simply is if all this contentious talk was what closed that thread then why not this one.  All I ask is that we treat all the threads equally - what is the point of closing one thread and not others that end up in the same quagmire.  Just because the titles may be different doesn't mean the content can not go off base.  If anything the first thread was more related to Billiken Basketball more so than this one about games around the country being canceled.  The problem with playing the content police is that unless it is done consistently then it becomes mired in subjectivity.  I am not a fan of closing any threads to tell the truth but consistency is important.  By the way both sides of the issue are not the same - one is taking a protective point and the other is focused on how they are individually impacted.  In a fully functioning society we all have a responsibility for each other.  Yes I do understand that my post will simply go over some heads.

What are you talking about Cheeseman?  Oh wait a minute, did that go over my head?  Let’s get back to Billikens basketball!

HoosierPal, AGB91 and dennis_w like this

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, indeed, as I predicted several months ago, this is not a normal season. Covid is having a significant impact upon it already, and will continue doing so. It is not any longer who you are playing against and who wins, it is also a who you will not be able to play against because of Covid. By the way, at that time I was labelled as "troll" by a large number of people who are now in the ignore pile.

TaLBErt likes this

33 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Yes, indeed, as I predicted several months ago, this is not a normal season. Covid is having a significant impact upon it already, and will continue doing so. It is not any longer who you are playing against and who wins, it is also a who you will not be able to play against because of Covid. By the way, at that time I was labelled as "troll" by a large number of people who are now in the ignore pile.

some  dude using  your handle said covid deaths in USA would top  of f@ 26K.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

Just now, A10Ref said:

probably would rather have a covid pause now than later in the season. Seems like it's going to be inevitable for every program to get hit in some way, shape, or form.

i dont want any pause.  supposedly we are 100% vaccinated.   second, one would think/hope the team learned their lesson about being careful after last year. play on.

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont want any pause.  supposedly we are 100% vaccinated.   second, one would think/hope the team learned their lesson about being careful after last year. play on.

I agree completely. I don’t want a pause and not wishing for one. But given the new breakthrough cases with Omicron, I would say it’s potentially likely for many teams to have issues. I just think now is a better time for it than later - that is all. 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:09 AM, wgstl said:

omg would love if GW backs out and we can replace our game against them with someone better. 

Why?  We have zero chance of getting an at-large bid so any schedule changes will be meaningless as far as getting into the NCAA.  Our one and only shot is to win the A 10 tournament.  I don't even think that running the table in our A 10 regular season, but losing in the league tourney will get us in.

Just now, bauman said:

Why?  We have zero chance of getting an at-large bid so any schedule changes ill be meaningless as far as getting into the NCAA.  Our one and only shot is to win the A 10 tournament.  I don't even think that running the table in our A 10 regular season, but losing in the league tourney will get us in.

I disagree. If we run the tourney in the A10 we’d easily get in. If we went 15-3 in the A10 I think we’d get in. Realistically I have trouble envisioning us doing either of those things, although I’m hoping this team is similar to 2019-2020 and playing it’s best as the year finishes.

The ACC and Pac12 are both having bad years this year. That’s part of the reason why we still appear high on so many of the computer metrics.

16 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I agree completely. I don’t want a pause and not wishing for one. But given the new breakthrough cases with Omicron, I would say it’s potentially likely for many teams to have issues. I just think now is a better time for it than later - that is all. 

as far as i know no one has died from this latest varient.   i admittedly dont follow the chinese flu virus closely as it only makes me mad to read the stuff.   my point is why are we shutting down games for bad colds if that is the typical reaction?  

dennis_w and BigMouthBilliken like this

16 minutes ago, NH said:

I disagree. If we run the tourney in the A10 we’d easily get in. If we went 15-3 in the A10 I think we’d get in. Realistically I have trouble envisioning us doing either of those things, although I’m hoping this team is similar to 2019-2020 and playing it’s best as the year finishes.

The ACC and Pac12 are both having bad years this year. That’s part of the reason why we still appear high on so many of the computer metrics.

The A10 is a one bid league this season.  The tourney winner gets an automatic bid.  No team will run the table in the A10 League.  No A10 team has raised their hand and said, we got this.  We have maybe 3 more Q1 games, all away from Chaifetz.  (That number will likely change as the season progresses).  The Boise State win has slipped to Q2.  Today we are at NET 69.  If you aren't 40 or below, your last name better be Boeheim if you want an At Large.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

as far as i know no one has died from this latest varient.   i admittedly dont follow the chinese flu virus closely as it only makes me mad to read the stuff.   my point is why are we shutting down games for bad colds if that is the typical reaction?  

I can't argue against you there, but I believe there are protocols in place to protect NCAA/Conference/University potential liability (if there even is any liability... who knows).

35 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Not trying to make a point here but there has been at least one death reported last week. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Agree it definitely seems like we should be recalibrating team quarantine protocols now that most players are double vaxxed (and boosted?) and it seems true from preliminary data that omicron is probably less deadly than previous variants. The risk has significantly changed so our protocols should match. 

7 minutes ago, rgbilliken said:

Agree it definitely seems like we should be recalibrating team quarantine protocols now that most players are double vaxxed (and boosted?) and it seems true from preliminary data that omicron is probably less deadly than previous variants. The risk has significantly changed so our protocols should match. 

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article256680742.html

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The A10 is a one bid league this season.  The tourney winner gets an automatic bid.  No team will run the table in the A10 League.  No A10 team has raised their hand and said, we got this.  We have maybe 3 more Q1 games, all away from Chaifetz.  (That number will likely change as the season progresses).  The Boise State win has slipped to Q2.  Today we are at NET 69.  If you aren't 40 or below, your last name better be Boeheim if you want an At Large.

I think the A10 has enough respect nationally that they can get two in as long as the winner of the league doesn’t  win the tournament.

AGB91 and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, willie said:

Not trying to make a point here but there has been at least one death reported last week. 

Are you talking about the death in the UK?  I thought that person died with Omicron, but not of Omicron according to the UK's NIH.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Are you talking about the death in the UK?  I thought that person died with Omicron, but not of Omicron according to the UK's NIH.

Don't know the particulars. The news show I was watching said there was one death from Omicron. 

brianstl likes this

9 minutes ago, willie said:

Don't know the particulars. The news show I was watching said there was one death from Omicron. 

Just Googled "Has anyone died from Omicron variant" here are the top results:

Forbes "7 Deaths From Omicron COVID-19 Coronavirus Varian In UK, Showing It's Not The 'Omicold'" (1 day ago)

Independent "UK's confirmed Omicron death toll rises to 12" (10 hours ago)

ChronicleLive "Seven dead from Omicron coronavirus variant as hospital cases rise to 85" (2 days ago)

It may not be as serious as OG COVID or Delta & maybe protocols need to be adjusted because of that (especially potentially for vaccinated). @brianstl's last post here is spot on.  Too early to say anything for certain.  Saying no one has died from it seem like that's wrong though.

brianstl likes this