Here We Go Again

HoosierPal

Can the NCAA avoid a major Covid hit this season?  Today 90 are in the NFL protocol, 36 in the NBA protocol with at least two games postponed, and 24 in the NHL.  UCLA's coach Cronin is in the protocol envelope and won't coach tonight.  Add the flu, which we have already seen with Linssen and Okoro, to this. 

Strap in, it's going to get bumpy.  What I don't know is the A10 / NCAA protocol for sitting out.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone really think College Hoops would be immune to some Covid issues this season? I just pray SLU is being extra cautious after last year’s disaster. I too thought this thread was going to be about a situation 3 when I saw the heading. It’s spooky how we Bills fans are programmed to expect the worst. 

17 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes, college sports are requiring testing of symptomatic or non vaccinated athletes only. Pro sports are still constantly tested. 

Exactly. This is why there have been far fewer cancellations of games in college or stories about players not being able to play. The NBA, NHL and NFL are all testing players that feel fine to see if they have the virus. Colleges aren't.

If you really stop to think about it, it makes you wonder why the NFL, NHL and NBA are doing what they are doing when the vast majority of the rest of America isn't. Most people only test when they feel sick and I don't believe the CDC is pushing for the testing of vaccinated individuals that aren't exhibiting any symptoms like the NBA, NLF and NHL are doing. These are self-inflicted wounds from these leagues. 

JMM28 and Bills By 40 like this

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Exactly. This is why there have been far fewer cancellations of games in college or stories about players not being able to play. The NBA, NHL and NFL are all testing players that feel fine to see if they have the virus. Colleges aren't.

If you really stop to think about it, it makes you wonder why the NFL, NHL and NBA are doing what they are doing when the vast majority of the rest of America isn't. Most people only test when they feel sick and I don't believe the CDC is pushing for the testing of vaccinated individuals that aren't exhibiting any symptoms like the NBA, NLF and NHL are doing. These are self-inflicted wounds from these leagues. 

I think it has a lot to do with a combination of the Players' Associations and Canada(for NBA and NHL).

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Not sure if you were genuinely wondering the answer or not, but I do think it’s an interesting question. I’m confident that if it were up to the owners of those NBA, NFL and NHL teams they would take a similar approach to college or the average person’s workplace (testing only when symptomatic). All they get from the increased testing is lost games, postponements, scheduling issues, etc. I think the main reason why we have daily testing is because the leagues you mentioned all have much stronger employee bargaining power via their unions than other industries (or college sports, where they aren’t even employees). Health and safety for players is a critical bargaining tenet for players associations. Anything they can do to increase the burden on the owners to ensure health and safety protocols, they will do (and I’m not trying to argue that it’s much safer to test everyday, just saying that falls in the bargaining category that the union will pursue).

Ironically, this is also why you haven’t seen vaccination and boosters required in these league, but you do in college. The pro players unions has a duty to its membership to try and prevent the employers from mandating medical treatments and procedures. They do not want to set a precedent that the league can say players must do an additional medical requirement to be employed.

So the end result is college players who are required to be vaccinated and likely boosted, but don’t test very often versus pro players who have less strict vaccine mandates but do test more frequently.

rgbilliken likes this

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think it has a lot to do with a combination of the Players' Associations and Canada(for NBA and NHL).

Fair point from both you and NH about the power of the players unions. I do wonder how the majority of the individual players feel about these strict policies on testing, but that is another topic for another day.

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Fair point from both you and NH about the power of the players unions. I do wonder how the majority of the individual players feel about these strict policies on testing, but that is another topic for another day.

I think we can all probably agree that we don’t want to be tested everyday, especially if we’re vaccinated, and I’d bet that the players feel similarly. I’m no expect on this but my understanding from talking to some people in the field is that it’s more to do with setting collective bargaining precedent than it is to protect the specific demands of the current players.

HoosierPal likes this

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think we will have some more issues across the NCAA this season, but I doubt it rises anywhere near the level of issues last season.  A large group of players has already had the virus.  

Especially our guys. All of our guys who were here last year have had it as well

brianstl likes this

Priority #1 for every program should be making sure every player, coach, manager, trainer, and any other person around them gets a booster shot. Best chance at stopping this wave of cancellations before it gets out of hand.

27 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Priority #1 for every program should be making sure every player, coach, manager, trainer, and any other person around them gets a booster shot. Best chance at stopping this wave of cancellations before it gets out of hand.

I would expect it to be mandatory for all SLU students and faculty fairly soon.