GDT: vs Boston College

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yuri was the difference.   he played like the all star point guard he is supposed to be.   he did not try to score when there was nothing there and be the man.   instead he took opportunities when they were there otherwise pushed tempo created advantages and made the passes he has become beloved for.   this is the yuri we need ALL THE TIME.

okoro starting to show he is the middle and rightful heir to the french connection.   he was splendid.

jimmmerson continues to be a star scorer.   i love watching this guy shoot.   

with nesbit, we saw tidbits of what i consider the best candidate to be the man.  i believe once he adjusts to this higher level of play and changes his midset to the college level he is a star. 

the two guys that need to continue to get better are hargrove and thatch.   we need to see these two guys in a battle for that 5th spot.   both are inconsistent imo.   one play you think they are fabulous the next time down the floor you are wondering why they are in the game.  no doubt they have worthy talent though

overall keep pushing the pace.   both ends of the floor and for god's sake, rebound. 

Fraz likes this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Well, if Travis leaves, I nominate Billiken Roy for HC. He’s been screaming this for 3 years. Push the ball! Speed it up! Use our athleticism! Fast break the fouck out of them! 

Agree on the need to push as much as possible. But superior opposition with superior defenses will take you out of your game and force you to play some half court. SLU will then need to rely on its inside-outside game and ball movement to find the open shot.

David King likes this

7 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Agree on the need to push as much as possible. But superior opposition with superior defenses will take you out of your game and force you to play some half court. SLU will then need to rely on its inside-outside game and ball movement to find the open shot.

No disagreement here. However, this team has shown they’re at their best when they’re running and gunning. That said, their board work has to be upped a couple of notches. I think more than any other factor their lack of rebounding caused the 2 losses last week. 

stopping us from running is indeed inevitable.   but that doesnt mean we have to walk the ball down the floor.  run the stupid vanilla shuffle and reduce our opportunities.   we should try to be the agressors all the time.   we are athletic and it is beyond short sighted to eliminate that attribute.  

drkelsey55 and Old guy like this

This could go into a number of recent threads and it applies to any number of games over the past couple of years, and specifically the most recent three games, so I think it is appropriate here.

I am a TF fan and think he is the right man for the HC job, but I also think he needs to seriously take a look at our closing out of games.  Since it seems like we have that problem no matter which players are on the court, I suggest that it is a coaching issue that he and his staff need to be spending many hours on figuring out how to correct it.  Players come and go, opponents come and go, but there has been one constant as we continue to give up large leads, and that constant is the system/style of play that the coaching staff has been using.

It looks like the players took their recent sloppy play into their own hands with the players only meeting, likely led by Yuri.  Now it is time for some serious soul searching on the part of the HC and his staff.  the "end of the game" problem is the staff's issue and they need to identify the problem and fix it. 

I though Thatch was going to be or steals leader; I remember Spoons Southwest Mo team that had two guards from Saint Louis area that looked as juiced as a Kentucky derby winner; coming here and tearing us up but they could only keep that pace for 10 minutes. If Thatch can’t shoot any better I think we need he and another long armed, quick guard to play all out. It seems they are cautioning Thatch and if we get mediocre play from him he is not a starter in my book.

3 hours ago, bauman said:

This could go into a number of recent threads and it applies to any number of games over the past couple of years, and specifically the most recent three games, so I think it is appropriate here.

I am a TF fan and think he is the right man for the HC job, but I also think he needs to seriously take a look at our closing out of games.  Since it seems like we have that problem no matter which players are on the court, I suggest that it is a coaching issue that he and his staff need to be spending many hours on figuring out how to correct it.  Players come and go, opponents come and go, but there has been one constant as we continue to give up large leads, and that constant is the system/style of play that the coaching staff has been using.

It looks like the players took their recent sloppy play into their own hands with the players only meeting, likely led by Yuri.  Now it is time for some serious soul searching on the part of the HC and his staff.  the "end of the game" problem is the staff's issue and they need to identify the problem and fix it. 

I understand the desire of a coach like Travis to shorten the game by eating the clock when you have the lead late.  You just can’t completely abandon what has gotten you the lead in the first place.  Travis’s teams have done exactly that way too often.

That would be my only real complaint from yesterday.  Overall a really strong performance from the players and the staff.

Bizziken likes this

I may be wrong but I think part of the slowdown was Travis trying some new looks. He had a double stack at the free throw line with Yuri dribbling out front. After awhile they broke to the wings and the hoop . I believe one of these sets got a wide open 3. Whether this was designed or just a way to eat clock I don’t know. 

2 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

I though Thatch was going to be or steals leader; I remember Spoons Southwest Mo team that had two guards from Saint Louis area that looked as juiced as a Kentucky derby winner; coming here and tearing us up but they could only keep that pace for 10 minutes. If Thatch can’t shoot any better I think we need he and another long armed, quick guard to play all out. It seems they are cautioning Thatch and if we get mediocre play from him he is not a starter in my book.

His 5-6 early rebounds was a big help in us getting out in front.  I also was hoping he would have been a better shooter at this point.  But he usually adds to the team in a positive way.

3 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

Loved Okoro's game last night. He is a game changer for us defensively. 

I also thought he had outstanding game. Remember he was matched up with some P5 level 7ft centers. Seemed more comfortable around the rim offensively.

Hopefully he can perform like he did yesterday every night.

I think that Thatch just cannot play over 20 min per game with games every 3 or 4 days without losing effectiveness. Fortunately, there will be a 7 day interval between the BC game and the Auburn game. I think this will allow him to recover sufficiently to be able to play better against Auburn, even if he has to play over 20 min in that game. This is my opinion.

@cheese ---- I agree, it is a fine line.  What I am advocating is pushing the ball because it makes us better, plays to our strengths and gives us the best chance of winning.  It gives us our best chance to score.  Whereas walking the ball takes away all our plusses and makes it tough on us without an alpha male scorer out there. I'd rather have Yuri drive with ten seconds on the clock and pass to Jimerson for an open three up by seven or eight than doing the same only up by two or down two.  We saw that recently (Belmont?) and Gibson missed that one to tie.  I like our odds better to stay ahead than to come from behind right now.  Just the makeup we have.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

@cheese ---- I agree, it is a fine line.  What I am advocating is pushing the ball because it makes us better, plays to our strengths and gives us the best chance of winning.  It gives us our best chance to score.  Whereas walking the ball takes away all our plusses and makes it tough on us without an alpha male scorer out there. I'd rather have Yuri drive with ten seconds on the clock and pass to Jimerson for an open three up by seven or eight than doing the same only up by two or down two.  We saw that recently (Belmont?) and Gibson missed that one to tie.  I like our odds better to stay ahead than to come from behind right now.  Just the makeup we have.

We are saying the same thing basically

Apologies if someone brought this up earlier in the thread or elsewhere.  I found this interesting.  Boston College's game before this loss to SLU was their big win over Notre Dame on 12/3.  They had 7 full days off in between that game and taking on SLU on 12/11.  SLU meanwhile lost to UAB on 12/4 and Belmont on 12/7, so they only had 3 full days to prepare and had played 2 games since BC's last.  I supposed you could chalk it up to BC being rusty / being a bit full of themselves after their big W over ND and SLU playing sharper after a couple tough losses.  I don't really buy that.  BC also can't really make an excuse of overlooking SLU / focusing on the next game because they play Albany tonight 12/13.  Albany is terrible.  The clear game plan to stop SLU on offense is to force the ball out of Yuri's hands & make someone else create on offense.  BC for some reason didn't try that until the near end of the game either through terrible coaching or terrible execution.  No excuse on their part with so much time to prepare.  Extra credit to Yuri that he had such a phenomenal game when the opposition should have had ample time to prepare for him.  Big / underrated part of Yuri's big night is him hitting his layups & shots and a big part of that is his shot selection.  If he's not forcing shots/layups and hitting shots he's given, it opens up the floor for more assists.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Apologies if someone brought this up earlier in the thread or elsewhere.  I found this interesting.  Boston College's game before this loss to SLU was their big win over Notre Dame on 12/3.  They had 7 full days off in between that game and taking on SLU on 12/11.  SLU meanwhile lost to UAB on 12/4 and Belmont on 12/7, so they only had 3 full days to prepare and had played 2 games since BC's last.  I supposed you could chalk it up to BC being rusty / being a bit full of themselves after their big W over ND and SLU playing sharper after a couple tough losses.  I don't really buy that.  BC also can't really make an excuse of overlooking SLU / focusing on the next game because they play Albany tonight 12/13.  Albany is terrible.  The clear game plan to stop SLU on offense is to force the ball out of Yuri's hands & make someone else create on offense.  BC for some reason didn't try that until the near end of the game either through terrible coaching or terrible execution.  No excuse on their part with so much time to prepare.  Extra credit to Yuri that he had such a phenomenal game when the opposition should have had ample time to prepare for him.  Big / underrated part of Yuri's big night is him hitting his layups & shots and a big part of that is his shot selection.  If he's not forcing shots/layups and hitting shots he's given, it opens up the floor for more assists.

When Yuri's hitting shots it makes it easier for him to create for other guys, and simultaneously when other guys are hitting shots it makes it easier for Yuri to score - wash rinse repeat. That's exactly what we saw Saturday. 

Also saw better off-ball movement and active pass receiving, both of which make Yuri's job much easier.