2021/22 Expectations

cgeldmacher

Before the season started, someone posted a topic requesting that posters predict our final record for the 2021/22 season.  Many people responded and a majority felt that we were going to make the tournament despite losing Goodwin and French.  There were also some that predicted that we would not make the tournament.

After Perkins injury another topic was started entitled 2021/22 Stat Predictor.  This topic asked posters to predict several team stats and leaders.  One of the last questions was to predict whether or not we were an NCAA tournament team.  80% of those that responded said that we were not a tournament team after losing Perkins.

All of the sudden, posters are losing their minds, because we have lost two games.  Many of these were the same guys who could not have been happier with the team and the coaching when we were 7-1 just two games earlier.  I just don't understand how the posters on this board can have their expectations fluctuate so wildly from game to game, so much so that they absolutely annihilate our team and our head coach on this site after two tough losses.

It would seem as if a team that was a decent team, maybe top 6 in the A-10, should be about 7-3 right now given our schedule.  Other reasonable expectations could have been 6-4 or 8-2.  Can someone explain to me why this board goes so bonkers about losses when the consensus after Perkins' injury was that we should be about right where we are right now?

I personally don't care about the loss. I care how we lost. Waiting till under two minutes left to press when you have been struggling to get anything going. But you're right there's definitely some "what have you done for me recently" at play here. Fan is short for fanatic. Lot of us on here are crazed mbms who ride the ups and downs and probably say some short-sighted things. Myself included. But some are just trolls.

Also you know the game day threads are a cathartic and not realistic experience.  There is also a  boo-bird troll axis of evil in bonnerjoelabs to stir the pot when a wheel comes off....

The big problem is that we are within a few points of being 9-1 and due to that it's easy to nit-pick every decision that Travis has made.....

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Two consecutive home losses to teams we could have/should have beat are my issue.  Our focus now has to be a top 4 A10 finish (double bye) and win the conference tourney.

I think if we can find a way to close out the OC at 10-3, and finish second in the A10 at like 12-4, get to the championship game we would be a strong last in  or PIG candidate. But all that’s a very tall order. Beating Auburn would be viewed a major win that would garner attention in March. But the rest of the season would have to play out as well. Losing to Boise on the road might be considered a good loss. Losing to Belmont at home is not a killer, but not a good loss (if there is such a thing) either. We should have closed out both games, but I think Travis was playing not to lose rather than playing to win. 

The problem with the UAB and Belmont losses have little to do with UAB and Belmont imo.  My issue, and I can be proven wrong in the coming weeks, was that I saw Auburn and Drake as losses.  

14 minutes ago, Brighton said:

I’m hoping they finish with a winning record. It’d be six in a row which would probably be a program record.

9 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

no.........

Men's basketball had a winning record every season from 1942-43 through 1960-61 before posted a losing record in 1961-62.  No season in 1943-44 because of WWII.  Can you imagine if there was a Billikens.com message board back then?  19 years, but only 18 seasons in a row.  If you say that's not consecutive because of the year without a season, then you'd still have 16 consecutive winning seasons from 1944-45 through 1960-61.

Interestingly, 5 separate coaches contributed to the 18 season streak.  It started in Bob Klenck's final season 1942-43, Dukes Duford took over for 1 season in 1944-45, then John Flanigan posted 2 winning seasons before giving way to Eddie Hickey who had all winning seasons in his 11 years and finally John Bennington's first 3 season were all winners.  

If you're talking above .500 as winning seasons as opposed to allowing a .500 season to be part of the streak, that's the only steak of 6 or more seasons in a row with winning records.  The next highest is 5 from the last 2 years Sodie's reign through the first 3 of Majerus 2005-06 to 2009-10, then there was a certain situation that put an end to that particular winning streak.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I think if we can find a way to close out the OC at 10-3, and finish second in the A10 at like 12-4, get to the championship game we would be a strong last in  or PIG candidate. But all that’s a very tall order. Beating Auburn would be viewed a major win that would garner attention in March. But the rest of the season would have to play out as well. Losing to Boise on the road might be considered a good loss. Losing to Belmont at home is not a killer, but not a good loss (if there is such a thing) either. We should have closed out both games, but I think Travis was playing not to lose rather than playing to win. 

I believe we won at Boise.