Vaccine Requirement at Chaifetz

STLHoopsFan

I wonder if this will help attendance, hurt attendance, or if it will stay the same. My guess is it will basically stay the same.

Im honestly surprised this hasn’t been the policy all along, as it seems like the Blues games and concert venues have required it. I’m kind of surprised the city allowed no vaccine or negative test requirement.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

SLU was / is / will continue to be in a no win situation with this.  Unfortunately COVID is a giant political quagmire for any business or organization hosting the public.  No matter what you do in terms of health/safety protocols, you're going to a have a relatively large group of very vocal partisans screaming that you're doing too much or too little.

As a school with such a large medical school & healthcare footprint, IMO it makes sense for SLU to err on the side of public health.  This is a step in that direction and it was sort of baffling to me that they chose to have less stringent requirements than the Blues in the first place.

If it has been more than six months since the second dose was administered, the person is basically unvaccinated if they haven't received a booster when it comes to their ability to transmit the virus to others.  So I don't see how this new policy is any different than the old policy public health wise.  If it was about public health and protecting people at the game they would require antibody testing.  The new policy requiring initial doses only or a negative test does nothing to actually stop any virus spread.  

5 minutes ago, NH said:

I wonder if this will help attendance, hurt attendance, or if it will stay the same. My guess is it will basically stay the same.

The actual impact on attendance will be obfuscated by the fact that the Auburn game will be well attended regardless and A10 conference play is always better attended than non-conference play.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you compare "no vax requirement games" attendance to "vax requirement games" attendance, that "vax requirement" will win.  That won't really tell us anything though.

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

If it has been more than six months since the second dose was administered, the person is basically unvaccinated if they haven't received a booster when it comes to their ability to transmit the virus to others.  So I don't see how this new policy is any different than the old policy public health wise.  If it was about public health and protecting people at the game they would require antibody testing.  The new policy requiring initial doses only or a negative test does nothing to actually stop any virus spread.  

I understand what you’re saying and I don’t disagree. But from a macro perspective, narrowing the group of people who have at least one vaccine will by definition make the sample more likely to be fully vaccinated. So while it might be a stupid policy (and I agree with you that it is), it’s also all but guaranteed to be more effective than a fake mask policy. 

Like you said though it’s all theater. The goal is to look healthy, not to be healthy. A side effect of trying to look healthy is that the risk will probably decrease slightly.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

The actual impact on attendance will be obfuscated by the fact that the Auburn game will be well attended regardless and A10 conference play is always better attended than non-conference play.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you compare "no vax requirement games" attendance to "vax requirement games" attendance, that "vax requirement" will win.  That won't really tell us anything though.

Well it’s pretty easy to compare how much attendance is down compared to prior years of conference games, and it will be similarly easy to compare how conference game attendance compares to prior years conference attendance.

I don’t think it’s about either policy “winning”. Attendance has sucked this year and it’s good to try and figure out how much of that is because of COVID vs. how much is other factors. This will be another data point in doing that.

brianstl likes this

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It also costs now to be tested.

No it doesn't.  At some urgent cares, they'll charge you for the "consultation", but they cannot you charge for the test / your insurance should cover 100% of the test.  If you go to your doctor, they'll charge you an office visit & refer you to a testing site which will be free.

Trick is to go to somewhere that offers totally free testing without charging you for something else (I think Walgreens does this) or get your doctor to refer you to a testing site without having to go into the office (in the past my doc has sent me to get tested after I messaged him through their patient portal without having to go into the office).

I'm not 100% how it works without insurance, but my god if you don't have insurance and you aren't vaccinated WTF are you thinking.  A trip to the hospital with COVID would be disastrous and the vaccines are free.

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

No it doesn't.  At some urgent cares, they'll charge you for the "consultation", but they cannot you charge for the test / your insurance should cover 100% of the test.  If you go to your doctor, they'll charge you an office visit & refer you to a testing site which will be free.

Trick is to go to somewhere that offers totally free testing without charging you for something else (I think Walgreens does this) or get your doctor to refer you to a testing site without having to go into the office (in the past my doc has sent me to get tested after I messaged him through their patient portal without having to go into the office).

I'm not 100% how it works without insurance, but my god if you don't have insurance and you aren't vaccinated WTF are you thinking.  A trip to the hospital with COVID would be disastrous and the vaccines are free.

I mean I'm pretty confident I wouldn't need medical intervention if I got Covid Unvaccinated. My point was I have been charged for it at Urgent Care.

6 minutes ago, NH said:

I understand what you’re saying and I don’t disagree. But from a macro perspective, narrowing the group of people who have at least one vaccine will by definition make the sample more likely to be fully vaccinated. So while it might be a stupid policy (and I agree with you that it is), it’s also all but guaranteed to be more effective than a fake mask policy. 

Like you said though it’s all theater. The goal is to look healthy, not to be healthy. A side effect of trying to look healthy is that the risk will probably decrease slightly.

You are probably right on a macro perspective that it will have some impact.  I don't know if it would be a statistically significant impact given the fact that fake vaccination cards are readily available.  

58 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

My wife got tested last week at CVS.  No charge.  They told her the results would take one hour, but it only took 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'd be shocked if this cost the university any material amount of money.  For all the people who are outraged & won't go, there are people who will go now because there is a vax mandate in place.  Both groups are probably small enough not to matter anyways, but both are way more vocal than the average fan who just wants to watch basketball.

you think there is a large contingent of billikens fans who will now go because other people are vaccinated?  Being vaccinated has been shown not to stop transmission.  whoever is in that crowd is illogical.

I think the result will be a lesser crowd....which is sad because attendance was already pretty light.

HoosierPal likes this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

Sorry, but the mask police are being scolded for not doing their job.  (It's in the University announcement.) 

-just went to SLUBillikens.com, clicked the red banner on the home page about how to attend games, link brings me to October announcment 

10 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-just went to SLUBillikens.com, clicked the red banner on the home page about how to attend games, link brings me to October announcment 

Yeah, it's not updated. Here's the link from the tweet: https://www.slu.edu/health-advisory/messages/covid-19-update-vaccination-requirement-for-external-events-indoors.php

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

you think there is a large contingent of billikens fans who will now go because other people are vaccinated?  Being vaccinated has been shown not to stop transmission.  whoever is in that crowd is illogical.

I think the result will be a lesser crowd....which is sad because attendance was already pretty light.

Not at all.  I don't think either group is very large.

Do you think there is a large contingent of billiken fans who will now NOT go because of the vax requirement?

People will ***** about it, but I don't think many people who have been attending games will actually stop now.

Most Billiken fans just want to watch basketball, are very likely already vaccinated, & will just show their vax card so they can watch the game.

rgbilliken likes this

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Maybe, maybe not, but it strongly reduces the chance that the person next to you has COVID. 

Impact on attendance will be nominal.

rgbilliken likes this

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not at all.  I don't think either group is very large.

Do you think there is a large contingent of billiken fans who will now NOT go because of the vax requirement?

People will ***** about it, but I don't think many people who have been attending games will actually stop now.

Most Billiken fans just want to watch basketball, are very likely already vaccinated, & will just show their vax card so they can watch the game.

Average attendance for the six home games is 4,800, so yeah, really not a big deal. 

i'd rather be forced to show my vax nazi papers than wear a joke of a mask that does nothing.   i wont do both.  

AGB91, drkelsey55 and JohnnyJumpUp like this

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

My wife got tested last week at CVS.  No charge.  They told her the results would take one hour, but it only took 10 minutes.

Not going to test my 4 year old just to bring him to a game.  This is a bummer for those with young kids that can't get a vaccine.

SLUBALLS likes this

4 minutes ago, DirtyRican said:

Not going to test my 4 year old just to bring him to a game.  This is a bummer for those with young kids that can't get a vaccine.

From the article that has been linked a couple times earlier in the thread (https://www.slu.edu/health-advisory/messages/covid-19-update-vaccination-requirement-for-external-events-indoors.php):

Children under the age of 12 are exempt from this policy. But they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who meets the vaccination or negative test requirements. 

Just now, DirtyRican said:

This is a really good point...I would hope they'd exempt young kids who can't get the vaccine? I have had to get my toddler tested for covid multiple times for her to go back to daycare after colds and it absolutely sucks.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

From the article that has been linked a couple times earlier in the thread (https://www.slu.edu/health-advisory/messages/covid-19-update-vaccination-requirement-for-external-events-indoors.php😞

Children under the age of 12 are exempt from this policy. But they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who meets the vaccination or negative test requirements. 

Thanks!  I don't read good.  

RUBillsFan likes this

there still is nothing at slubillikens.com or a personal email explaining such.   old grads that havent went to slu for 40 years have no reason to check a .edu website and some probably dont have twitter.   i do go to slubillikens.com every game to retrieve my tickets for that game, so a pop up there would be nice but an email to our personal email would be better and a robo call wouldnt hurt as well.   they better put it out a little better than they have so far are they are going to have a lot of pizzed off season ticket holders the night of the 18th.   surely they arent that dumb.  

HenryB likes this