Travis Ford is a good coach

On 1/11/2022 at 9:41 PM, HoosierPal said:

My two cents, Ford needs to bring in another big through the transfer portal.  Someone who can stretch the floor, protect the rim as needed, and rebound.  That player is not on our roster today.

We've been missing this player since Rob Loe graduated.  A stretch big paired up with French & Goodwin would have been such a perfect fit.  Sigh.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Just wanna leave this here. 

This just seems like crazy talk. Coach sliws down the game when every MBM knows he shouldn’t. He doesn’t use his team’s athleticism to his advantage by full court pressing and running enough. Again just an amazingly obvious strategy that every MBM knows would work better. He doesn’t take time outs at the spots that all MBM’s know he should. I could go on as there’s probably a half dozen or so more things he does wrong that a good MBM knows better than to do. 

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

This just seems like crazy talk. Coach sliws down the game when every MBM knows he shouldn’t. He doesn’t use his team’s athleticism to his advantage by full court pressing and running enough. Again just an amazingly obvious strategy that every MBM knows would work better. He doesn’t take time outs at the spots that all MBM’s know he should. I could go on as there’s probably a half dozen or so more things he does wrong that a good MBM knows better than to do. 

Skip you are missing the blue font!  Maybe Old guy can help you with that.

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I thought when he put Jones in to help with the pressure was a smart move.  Had he done so in those games that got away from us I think we would have won them.  Glad to see he changed his approach

I also thought that he rested Yuri in the 1H even when he was not in foul trouble.  I think that strategy allows Yuri to mentally reset and go back fresh ready to play hard with one foul.  

What a job Coach Ford and Staff have done after losing SLU's top player, player of the year candidate Perkins ..... a week before the start of the season.

Collins, Jimerson, Hargrove all made giant leaps in development.

Team FT shooting improved for nearly every player.

Okoro has developed quickly into a multidimensional player.  Same for Nesbitt.  Both keep getting better, their ceilings are high

Players seem motivated and accepting of their roles.  And tenacious rebounding, hustle usually shows on the court. 

Taore, Linnson, Jones and Williams are great off the bench.

New leaders ..... Thatch, Collins, Hargrove, others have stepped up.

Coach deserves a lot of credit for a season that could of tanked after the injury.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

What a job Coach Ford and Staff have done after losing SLU's top player, player of the year candidate Perkins ..... a week before the start of the season.

Collins, Jimerson, Hargrove all made giant leaps in development.

Team FT shooting improved for nearly every player.

Okoro has developed quickly into a multidimensional player.  Same for Nesbitt.  Both keep getting better, their ceilings are high

Players seem motivated and accepting of their roles.  And tenacious rebounding, hustle usually shows on the court. 

Traore, Linnsen, Jones and Williams are great off the bench.

New leaders ..... Thatch, Collins, Hargrove, others have stepped up.

Coach deserves a lot of credit for a season that could of tanked after the injury.

Yuri is now shooting 38% from 3 on the year and 81% from the line. That's a wild difference maker in terms of how teams have to guard us. You can tell he's feeling himself on the court too. He was really into it yesterday and I love seeing the emotion. He's improved a lot defensively as well, and add in the PG we've always had... wow. I love this kid.

Franco has thrived with the extra space our shooters are giving him. He has found his touch and is finally dunking every thing he can. He looks like an all-conference guy. Holmes is an awesome, awesome talent and he was taken care of yesterday. Credit to BOTH of our bigs for that.

Nesbitt has really eased into his bigger role as well. High, high energy and the skills to go along with it. The decision making is getting better and will continue to do so. Side note (and not meant as an insult because I love him) - is he the craziest billiken of all time? In a good way. Fiery may be a better way to put it? Like someone like Yarbrough was crazy, but he was in a way that hurt the team. I LOVE this guy so much. Quickly becoming one of my favorite bills ever.

We've talked about Gibbay enough on here. Love that cat

Our role guys have stepped up big time:

Snipa Williams has become playable. When he hits the first three, it is a huge game changer for us offensively. He's bought in and I love it.

Linssen has really improved on D from the beginning of the season. 

Deandre Jones doing a better job with FC pressure

Thatch is now playing like the player we thought we were getting this season. So glad he's clearly 100% healthy and comfortable

Whoever else we put in comes to play, whether they're ready to contribute or not, they bust their ass.

The culture of the team may be the biggest thing. TJ has clearly been struggling these last few games, and lost his starting spot as Fred has stepped up. The energy got down for a couple games and you could tell the difference in his demeanor. Something has clicked with him. The energy, the vibe, and now his 3P shooting are all back. The culture we have is something Ford really deserves credit for. These guys are clearly really good people - the camaraderie makes them easy to root for. And, ya know, being really good at basketball.

Roll MF Bills.

2 hours ago, Littlebill said:

Yuri is now shooting 38% from 3 on the year and 81% from the line. That's a wild difference maker in terms of how teams have to guard us. You can tell he's feeling himself on the court too. He was really into it yesterday and I love seeing the emotion. He's improved a lot defensively as well, and add in the PG we've always had... wow. I love this kid.

He's going to win A10 POY. It will happen this year, and maybe again before he leaves SLU. If he can add emotion to his game without his game changing at all he will become a household name because his #s are already household name quality, he just does it so quietly. If he starts doing this loudly??? Bob Cousy is in play. 

Franco has thrived with the extra space our shooters are giving him. He has found his touch and is finally dunking every thing he can. He looks like an all-conference guy. Holmes is an awesome, awesome talent and he was taken care of yesterday. Credit to BOTH of our bigs for that.

How much he has already developed X the physical potential he has that he clearly hasn't reached yet + playing behind a PG like Yuri makes me think he could be incredible next year. If he improves as much from this year to next as he has from the beginning of the season to now then he is the best big man in the league. 

Nesbitt has really eased into his bigger role as well. High, high energy and the skills to go along with it. The decision making is getting better and will continue to do so. Side note (and not meant as an insult because I love him) - is he the craziest billiken of all time? In a good way. Fiery may be a better way to put it? Like someone like Yarbrough was crazy, but he was in a way that hurt the team. I LOVE this guy so much. Quickly becoming one of my favorite bills ever.

I was the first to draw attention to this from a trip to a pre-season practice. I said it worried me, because it looked unhinged and possibly uncontrollable but thank god I was so very wrong. He's a lunatic but he's OUR lunatic and I fu**ing L O V E it. His energy alone is phenomenal but that he's just as athletic as he is crazy makes him a nightmare for any opponent.

1 minute ago, Fraz said:

There are rumblings on Twitter for Travis Ford A10 Coach of the Year.  Given where we are and what happened preseason, I’d have a tough time disagreeing….

Id agree with the loss of Perkins.  Still time left for mckillop to take the trophy. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This completes the fourth season of 20 or more wins (COVID exception). I think this might be the highest winning percentage for four straight seasons in program history. Is that right? How far back do we have to go to find something better?

Travis Ford raised his grade this year for me. Last year I vocally gave him an F. This year he gets an honor roll B for 23-11.

HenryB likes this

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

This completes the fourth season of 20 or more wins (COVID exception). I think this might be the highest winning percentage for four straight seasons in program history. Is that right? How far back do we have to go to find something better?

And just look at the guy. Hes clearly not a day over 26. If he keeps its up, he can be here as long as he wants,  surely right?

•Hickey 54-58 is the right answer, under a single coach anyway if my quick calculations are right (and across coaches if I eyeballed it correctly.)

3 minutes ago, billslasttermdropout said:

And just look at the guy. Hes clearly not a day over 26. If he keeps its up, he can be here as long as he wants,  surely right?

•Hickey 54-58 is the right answer, under a single coach anyway if my quick calculations are right (and across coaches if I eyeballed it correctly.)

Exactly, we have to go back to the ‘50’s. It is crazy that we are not praising the ground Ford walks on. He has set up a pipeline and coaching style that appears ready to do this a long way into the future. Consistency builds great programs.

11 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Exactly, we have to go back to the ‘50’s. It is crazy that we are not praising the ground Ford walks on. He has set up a pipeline and coaching style that appears ready to do this a long way into the future. Consistency builds great programs.

In a matter of preference...

Majerus/Crews 

Situation 1, NCAA, NCAA, NCAA

vs. 

Ford

NCAA, Cancelled Postseason (possible NCAA NIT for sure), NIT, NIT

Sustainability of relevance is definitely on the side of Travis Ford since we saw what the non-Majerus guy in part 1 did. 

RUBillsFan likes this