Travis Ford is a good coach

Honestly, it is two games. It is always harder to get a win after a loss.  This schedule will benefit this team come conference time. Pull it together and enjoy the journey.

As far as the title, remember these names: Crews, Soderberg, Romar. I can keep going. No one can claim Ford is perfect, but he is a good coach.

CBFan likes this

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t think Ford should be fired or anything like that. Just if you are going to use coaches as examples of not good coaches don’t use guys that have won more NCAA tournament games than Ford.  Romar has won 7 more NCAA tournament games than Ford.  I hate Crews, but he won 2 more tournament games than Ford has.

Ford has had a couple disappointing nights in row.  All coaches have some bad games.  He has time to right the ship. I think just about everyone here his rooting that he does just that.

Ford makes a lot of money to produce results.  He has been given more tools to be a successful than any other coach in SLU’s history.  He still has much to prove.  Fans have every right to question him and hold him accountable.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think Ford should be fired or anything like that. Just if you are going to use coaches as examples of not good coaches don’t use guys that have won more NCAA tournament games than Ford.  Romar has won 7 more NCAA tournament games than Ford.  I hate Crews, but he won 2 more tournament games than Ford has.

Ford has had a couple disappointing nights in row.  All coaches have some bad games.  He has time to right the ship. I think just about everyone here his rooting that he does just that.

Ford makes a lot of money to produce results.  He has been given more tools to be a successful than any other coach in SLU’s history.  He still has much to prove.  Fans have every right to question him and hold him accountable.

Interesting point. I meant Romar and Crews as a Billikens coach, where Romar was 8 games over a .500 record. Romar inherited a program from Spoon, and Crews inherited a program from some guy. How did either of them build and leave the program?

Overall though, I do not put much stock in Tournament wins. It is very heavily based on a lottery, and simple luck of the draw. If you go far, Sweet 16 or Elite 8, it is certainly a feather in a coaches caps. However, I think getting a tournament appearance is the bigger factor. 

I'm one of the biggest defenders of Ford on here but I just wish he would try things. Probably a narrow minded statement but I'm just tired of the same things over and over again when they ain't working. I hate the weave. Maybe fake a handoff once and attack.... don't think I've seen that one time in however many years we have been running the weave... He always says he wants to play fast (or he did.... don't know if that still applys). Just once I'd like to see the press mixed in. Ain't got to do it all game just mix it in. I laughed my ass off when he started pressing against Belmont down whatever with however much time left and nesbitt made that steal and got fouled and just looked around like why the hell aren't we doing this more....  Fracking Belmont. 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I'm one of the biggest defenders of Ford on here but I just wish he would try things. Probably a narrow minded statement but I'm just tired of the same things over and over again when they ain't working. I hate the weave. Maybe fake a handoff once and attack.... don't think I've seen that one time in however many years we have been running the weave... He always says he wants to play fast (or he did.... don't know if that still applys). Just once I'd like to see the press mixed in. Ain't got to do it all game just mix it in. I laughed my ass off when he started pressing against Belmont down whatever with however much time left and nesbitt made that steal and got fouled and just looked around like why the hell aren't we doing this more....  Fracking Belmont. 

These are the exact reasons why he is an awful coach.   He has no clue on game day.  Sure he can recruit, but thats where it ends. Without a coach on the floor like Goodwin, Isabell etc around..this team is doomed

i think a few of you are getting upset with a lot of us that are not wanting to get rid of ford or think he is a horrible coach overall.   i think most  of us are complaining about his game coaching and/or his player development.   but imo, he is a super recruiter and a very good motivator thus in the overall picture he might be the best coach we have ever had in my fandom.   i know i would take him over anyone during that time period (i go back to 1978).   

i just think if he improved those two areas, he would make our program elite considering his ability to bring in players.   so it is very frustrating to see us be this close.   however, by no means do i want him gone.   i know the slu track record for bringing in coaches.   plus every time we get a new coach there is a "start over" period.   those have been somewhat painful over time.   

so let the 3 or 4 rockheads that want to fire him just talk to themselves.   most of us discussing the coaching mistakes after these last two very frustrating losses are not on that level.   

-I would like to know if during the game CFord changes things based on what an assistant coach or player suggests or if the game plan is so written in stone it has to followed come hell or high water

-I am SO over him saying we will play fast and that we have a deep roster and will use it, even after JPerk got hurt he said we might even play faster, well Yuri crossing the timeline with 21 on the shot clock after walking it up doesn't fit that 

14 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Honestly, it is two games. It is always harder to get a win after a loss.  This schedule will benefit this team come conference time. Pull it together and enjoy the journey.

As far as the title, remember these names: Crews, Soderberg, Romar. I can keep going. No one can claim Ford is perfect, but he is a good coach.

Amazing the folks who get on Ford after a couple of losses.  SLU LOST a first team all conference player, maybe player of the year!!!!  He will not be replaced this year and his loss likely resulted in two of the team's losses this year.

Ford is doing his job, but this is not like pro sports where you can make a trade or call up a hot prospect.  The loss of Perkins puts a huge hole in this roster that can't be fixed short-term.  Am I happy with the three losses?  Of course not, but 7-3 is not bad given the loss of Perkins.

6 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Amazing the folks who get on Ford after a couple of losses.  SLU LOST a first team all conference player, maybe player of the year!!!!  He will not be replaced this year and his loss likely resulted in two of the team's losses this year.

Ford is doing his job, but this is not like pro sports where you can make a trade or call up a hot prospect.  The loss of Perkins puts a huge hole in this roster that can't be fixed short-term.  Am I happy with the three losses?  Of course not, but 7-3 is not bad given the loss of Perkins.

As others have noted, Perkins was a bonus this year. Recruiting is a long-term game, and Ford had no reason to believe Perkins would be here this year until late in the overall process. 

billiken_roy likes this

7 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

As others have noted, Perkins was a bonus this year. Recruiting is a long-term game, and Ford had no reason to believe Perkins would be here this year until late in the overall process. 

Not true.  Perkins stated his intention to stay in February 2021, long before Ford filled the open roster spots/Spring recruiting.  I dare say Ford would have had a lot more to sell Spring recruits if Perkins had said he was not returning.  https://www.a10talk.com/slus-perkins-to-return-for-2021-2022-season/

CBFan likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Bonner, Brighton, MrJoeLabs. Ignored since jump street.

I need to do better with 2 of those 3.

7 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Not true.  Perkins stated his intention to stay in February 2021, long before Ford filled the open roster spots/Spring recruiting.  I dare say Ford would have had a lot more to sell Spring recruits if Perkins had said he was not returning.  https://www.a10talk.com/slus-perkins-to-return-for-2021-2022-season/

Sure, but we were not going to find a true Perkins replacement that late in the game. February is very late in the process for a program at our level. 

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Sure, but we were not going to find a true Perkins replacement that late in the game. February is very late in the process for a program at our 

There were well over a 1000 D1 transfers on the market last Spring.  So your point is debatable.  Ford would of had a prime front court starting position open ..... a very good recruiting tool.

The question is: was that game a matter of Ford not making (the correct) adjustments, coach making adjustments with players not executing or are did Ford make adjustments, the players executed them to the best of their abilities and we just don't have Perkins to put this team over the top from an above average team to a really good team.

rgbilliken and slufanskip like this

25 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

There were well over a 1000 D1 transfers on the market last Spring.  So your point is debatable.  Ford would of had a prime front court starting position open ..... a very good recruiting tool.

How many potential All-Americans were in that group of 1,000 D1 transfers? How many of those potential All-Americans ended up at non-blue blood schools?

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

How many potential All-Americans were in that group of 1,000 D1 transfers? How many of those potential All-Americans ended up at non-blue blood schools?

You weren’t going to get a Perkins clone but I bet Ford would have landed a guy who would chip in 10-12 points a game.

A guy like that probably would have us sitting at 9-1.

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Seems UAB did okay ..... 

If you think UAB did better in the transfer portal than SLU, that is on Ford.  Like Roy said earlier, most people don't want Ford fired.  We want him to remain our coach, but that doesn't mean he is above criticism.  The excuses for underperformance every year during the regular season get old.  Yes, stuff happened.  Stuff happens with every program.  Somewhere along the line he should have managed a better than a 4th place conference finish.

Now all that said, there is plenty of time to right the ship this season.  Despite the handwringing over Perkins, this team is talented enough to make the tournament.  You got to have the talent to win and Ford gets talent.  Ford in the past has had teams that close really strong.

I think what is being said --- if you just take brian above this --- is we have the talent.  If you agree and we do have the talent, then coaching must take it to the next level.  That is where the debate rages.  I don't want Ford fired, but it's the same old same old year after year.  Ten games in, a month after the loss of your superstar, and we see the unknown offense, the time wasting weave, Collins walking not running, temper tantrum yanks, player favoritism and the like.  The cat doesn't seem to change his spots.  That's the issue.  Eventually, talent negates talent.  Then something else has to take over.  Sure, you could rely on someone to play hero ball.  Larry Hughes.  Justin Love.  Javon Bess.  Tremaine Isabell.  Jordan Goodwin.  Hasan French.  Not that all these guys could or did (some yes).  Right now, we don't have a go to scorer so hero ball is out.  That leaves coaching and preparation.  Those are the question marks here.

33 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I think what is being said --- if you just take brian above this --- is we have the talent.  If you agree and we do have the talent, then coaching must take it to the next level.  That is where the debate rages.  I don't want Ford fired, but it's the same old same old year after year.  Ten games in, a month after the loss of your superstar, and we see the unknown offense, the time wasting weave, Collins walking not running, temper tantrum yanks, player favoritism and the like.  The cat doesn't seem to change his spots.  That's the issue.  Eventually, talent negates talent.  Then something else has to take over.  Sure, you could rely on someone to play hero ball.  Larry Hughes.  Justin Love.  Javon Bess.  Tremaine Isabell.  Jordan Goodwin.  Hasan French.  Not that all these guys could or did (some yes).  Right now, we don't have a go to scorer so hero ball is out.  That leaves coaching and preparation.  Those are the question marks here.

And players performing as coached .... a few less bone-headed plays here and there BY THE PLAYERS, and the team is 9-1.  The players can't be completely excused for games going south.  You absolutely cannot know when a bad play is coaching or player screw-up.