The Bills over BC by 10

The Wiz

What a great game....Good to know that I was closer than all the experts and the only one to pick The Bills by double digits to win...kind of like a Price is Right moment ...closest to the actual score without going over. Btw, for those that can't wait for the next report card...Yuri is 2nd ITN in assists. What a night he had.

For those who like quadrants, the double digit win should also help our NET ranking. If that doesn't make sense to you,  check out the NET ranking post above.

So let's see what happened this game.....

Bold posting is from the original post in this thread.

The team that shoots the best from the arc and rebounds best (no 2nd chances ) will probably win the game.... We matched them on rebounds ...32/31 ...2nd chance points 6 for each team...so no damage...  and we  crushed them  on 3s...40.7% to 17.6%....this was the ball game.

keep them under 65 pts... Close enough ....they scored some cheap points after the game was decided as we tried to seal up the the Yuri assist record.

47/38/75...with an emphasis on the 38%... This was a hit... 53 / 41 / 83...  41 was a hit because 1 less 3 and we would have fallen below 38...we made 1 extra FT and 3 extra 2s...extra 7 pts which we needed to balance some extra TOs

TO 11 ... This was a miss ... 15 TOs...this resulted in 15 pts for BC ....Fortunately we were able to score 12 pts on only 10 TOs  by BC...another concern was 10 stls ...way too high ...no matter for this game but we can't do that against Auburn.

We need to bounce back on shooting ....We did

Bottom line.... we shoot terrible against Belmont and we lose...we shoot great against BC and we win...I think the strategy is pretty clear going forward...... We shoot good ...we win...we shoot bad we lose. Since we are a good shooting team overall,   the future looks bright.

CBFan likes this

I think you need to add something to your list of what we need to continue winning games. I think we need to stress our offense, speed the game up instead of slowing it down. I also think we need to keep the pressure on the other team for the whole game rather than letting it go in the last 5 minutes, like we appear to have been doing lately. I would also like to see Strickland play, at least at those times that we need fast breaks and fast points. This is just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

18 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

And Yuri would have been on that 20+ record list had BC not gone to its  Yuri "prevent the record" defense" at the end of the game.

Btw, the previous Bills record was held by Jim Roder who recorded his 18 assists at the 1987 NIT against  S. Miss.

30 minutes ago, NextYearBill said:

Notice that most of these games occurred during the 86 - 92 seasons. The PG was a pass first player totally controlling the offensive play while playing suffocating defense against the opposing PG. Yuri is a throwback player in that mold of Sherman Douglas, Avery Johnson and I would also add guys like Scott Skiles and Travis Ford.

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

And Yuri would have been on that 20+ record list had BC not gone to its  Yuri "prevent the record" defense" at the end of the game.

Btw, the previous Bills record was held by Jim Roder who recorded his 18 assists at the 1987 NIT against  S. Miss.

also missed one by tenth of a second  on the 3when clock expired. thanks for finding that. got to assume our Yuri will be on the 20 & over lists a few  time before all is done.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Whiz, how much does it cost you to get the Bills to get sloppy and lose their 23 pt lead -LOL

the lead going away was all about the team trying to get yuri that record breaking assist.   

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

and that is why i dont feel bad for yuri getting the bunny assist to the end of the game dunk.   normally i would say that isnt very classy but BC focusing on not letting him get that assist sucked imo. 

On 12/12/2021 at 11:33 AM, almaman said:

also missed one by tenth of a second  on the 3when clock expired. thanks for finding that. got to assume our Yuri will be on the 20 & over lists a few  time before all is done.

I'd feel much more confident about Yuri being on there multiple times if we had someone whose name rhymed with Havonte Berkins, especially if Havonte Berkins was playing alongside Gibson Jimerson. If only this hypothetical Havonte Berkins had an extra year of eligibility and chose to use it next year 🙃

On 12/12/2021 at 9:23 AM, NextYearBill said:

Why did they have a game against a couple of CYC schools - Sacred Heart v. Pine Manor at the top of the list?

The real record is 22, so close for Yuri. Imagine how many assists he would have if Perk were playing this year.

The Wiz likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Why did they have a game against a couple of CYC schools - Sacred Heart v. Pine Manor at the top of the list?

The real record is 22, so close for Yuri. Imagine how many assists he would have if Perk were playing this year.

I'm not sure where to find box scores for games from the late 80s through early 2000s which is when most of these assist records were set, but I'd love to calculate each of these:

1. Total assists by the player / total team assists

For example, Yuri had 19 assists and in total our team had 20, so Yuri had 95% of our assists.  In Trae Young's 22 assist game for Oklahoma in 2017, his team had 27 assists, so Young only had 81% of his team's total.  In Brandon Brooks 20 assist game for Alabama State in 2008, his team had 33 assists, so he only had 61% of the total.

1. Total assists by the player / (total team FGs - FGs made by the player)

SLU made 29 FGs and 5 of those FGs made were by Yuri.  Not even Yurimania can assist himself, so 19/24 = Yuri assisting on 79% of the buckets scored by others.  Trae Young's would be 22 / (41 - 9) = 69%.  Brooks 20 / (37 - 2) = 57%.

Both of these stats speak to the fact that Yuri set his record in a much slower paced / defensive game, so IMO it is more impressive than the others higher than him on the list. 

Also of note, Trae Young only played 29 minutes in his game vs 38 for Yuri.  That's because Oklahoma blew out NW State 105-68.  Rather than Trae's being more impressive because it was in fewer minutes, I think it's actually a knock against his mark because it was done against a much weaker opponent.  Brandon Brooks had his 20 assists in 34 minutes (off the bench!), but again this was a bit of a blowout 103-83 vs weak competition (Jackson State).