Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, CenHudDude said:

What five guys would you have used?  Don’t forget they have to shutdown the Spiders the entire time.

My point is that the players are responsible for executing their game plan.  They did a great job of doing this in the first half, not so much in the second half, and were still in a position to at least tie the game in regulation.

TF was not the one throwing up bricks with the game on the line.

We are going to finish the regular season just about where the preseason prognosticators predicted we would - and that was before we lost Perkins.

More madness!!  St. Mary’s has been leading the entire game over Gonzaga by playing at a fast pace.  Then, in the last five minutes of the game, they significantly slowed the pace down to try to secure their victory.  What idiots.  What’s wrong with their coach?   Of course, they are also making their shots.

as long as st mary's kept making shots, that is fine.   we dont have the personell beyond jimmmerson to do that and if the opponent is covering him like a blanket, then it indeed would be stupid.  glad you are finally figuring out the difference.   keep coming here and maybe you will learn the game.  

what you dont understand about playing fast or not is matching your personnel to the style of play.   that will determine your success in how you play the game.   

i didnt see the examples of the shuffle you sarcastically mention in your posts above.   did the teams playing the shuffle ONLY waste clock and never diviate from the 3 or 4 handoffs to waste clock.   or did they occasionally break off the shuffle with breaks to the basket or not handoff and then pass to an open guy in the corner?   the point is the shuffle can indeed be effective to set up scoring opportunities.   but if it is always just used to waste clock as it appears is all the billikens ever do, imo it is stupid. 

8 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

More madness!!  St. Mary’s has been leading the entire game over Gonzaga by playing at a fast pace.  Then, in the last five minutes of the game, they significantly slowed the pace down to try to secure their victory.  What idiots.  What’s wrong with their coach?   Of course, they are also making their shots.

St. Mary's plays at a much slower pace than Gonzaga and did so throughout the game last night.  The final score was St. Mary's 67 Gonzaga 57.  Gonzaga averages 88.3 points per game;  St. Mary's averages 69.6 points per game.  By both simply watching the game, and per the statistics, it was and is clear that St. Mary's was able to get Gonzaga to play its (St. Mary's) game and at its pace.

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

St. Mary's plays at a much slower pace than Gonzaga and did so throughout the game last night.  The final score was St. Mary's 67 Gonzaga 57.  Gonzaga averages 88.3 points per game;  St. Mary's averages 69.6 points per game.  By both simply watching the game, and per the statistics, it was and is clear that St. Mary's was able to get Gonzaga to play its (St. Mary's) game and at its pace.

Ha. That would have been so difficult for a basketball savant to look up or to just observe from watching both teams play more than one possession before mouthing off. St. Mary’s (at 335th) plays amongst the slowest paces in college basketball and Gonzaga (at 4th) the fastest, hilarious post from our board apologist.

11 hours ago, SLUMS81 said:

My point is that the players are responsible for executing their game plan.  They did a great job of doing this in the first half, not so much in the second half, and were still in a position to at least tie the game in regulation.

TF was not the one throwing up bricks with the game on the line.

We are going to finish the regular season just about where the preseason prognosticators predicted we would - and that was before we lost Perkins.

There is a trend of teams making halftime adjustment and us failing to counter those. Who do you think is responsible for that?

Even if the players are to blame for certain things (I agree this is the case at times), Travis recruited those players. At what point will you place blame on Travis? 2 more years of missing the NCAA tournament? Because if Perkins doesn’t return next season, I’m afraid that’s where we are headed.

while i have stated over and over i am not in favor or replacing Ford because he is a good recruiter who seems will always give us a roster that will be in the upper echelon of the conference and have a decent record and be competitive throughout the year.   i have been through the lows (ekkertime, crewsplatt) and the highs (spoon and rickma) and i just dread the thought of starting over again.  everytime we start over there is an adjustment period we have to live through as the new regime takes over turns over the roster, puts in new systems and we suffer through a few seasons of "just wait"   or "it takes time", etc. 

that all said, ford is reputed to be the highest paid billiken coach in history.    with that comes expectations and at some point he surely cant get by all those "almosts" or "if only's" and must put us in a higher spot regardless.   i dont think we are going to see that yet.   as someone mentioned, doubtful we pay two coaches and i would bet he is safe at least through his contract expiration.    when will we know the powers to be are at the end of the rope?   when they refuse to give him that extension coaches all think they have to have to recruit.   for now, ford is our coach.    we can and should complain.   hell it is our team.  we pay a lot of money to watch the billikens.   but demanding a change isnt going to happen.   well unless whoever you are demanding wants to pony up the money to buy him out.   as far as i know those capable of doing that dont post on billikens.com.

BilliesBy40 likes this

Yea, I was defending Ford on Twitter and someone hit me with the stat that Ford is 6-25 against Dayton, VCU, Davidson, and Bonaventure in his tenure. 

That stat sort of shook me and made me put down the koolaid.  

I do agree with Roy though.  Ford is overall a good coach for us.  Some of us remember when Luke Meyer being able to dunk impressed all of us and it meant that we found the next Keith Van Horn.  

At least our talent is good enough to win even though the in-game coaching is a D+

3 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I do agree with Roy though.  Ford is overall a good coach for us.  Some of us remember when Luke Meyer being able to dunk impressed all of us and it meant that we found the next Keith Van Horn.  

Right. I think most Billiken fans are pleased with Ford and certainly few would advocate firing him, but it is ok to be critical of him at the same time. Message boards become too polarized. If you like Ford, you don't have to post blind nonsense to support him on a forum intended for discussion, the numbers support him being a good coach. He certainly has limitations though and pointing those out does not make one a hater of the guy. I think most of us kind of saw last season and then next season as the seasons to make runs with the two different cores (although oddly Perkins could be part of things next season), so this season while disappointing of late doesn't change my opinion of him much. Hopefully a year from now we aren't having these same concerns though.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

while i have stated over and over i am not in favor or replacing Ford because he is a good recruiter who seems will always give us a roster that will be in the upper echelon of the conference and have a decent record and be competitive throughout the year.  

Here is an open question.  Is Ford a good recruiter, or does he hire assistants that are good recruiters?  He is the boss, so he seals the deal, true. 

I have been lead to believe that Coach Tate was the integral piece in Goodwin, Collins, Hargrove, Perkins, Thatch and Nesbitt all signing with the Bills.  If Coach Tate was still at Missouri, or say with the Illini, would they all have signed with the Bills.  I don't know and no one can unweave what might have happened.  Where are we without Coach Tate?  Yes, Ford hired Corey Tate and that has turned out to be an excellent move. 

30 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Yea, I was defending Ford on Twitter and someone hit me with the stat that Ford is 6-25 against Dayton, VCU, Davidson, and Bonaventure in his tenure. 

That stat doesn’t seem right to me. I can think of at least 4 wins against Dayton and 3 against St Bonaventure off the top of my head. And I know we’ve beaten VCU and Davidson during that time as well.

I have not lived in St. Louis for years, but I am a SLU Alum and when I lived there I was a season ticket holder and went to every game. I now follow the Bills from Florida. I see most to their games either on cable or ESPN+.

Not surprised by SLU_NICK's numbers on what I think we'd all agree are the teams to beat if you want a decent chance to win the A-10. It's certainly a reason why Ford has only one trip to the NCAA Tourney. 

I suppose my hope would be in six years we would make it to the Big Dance 2 or 3 times especially since we all agree recruiting is better since Ford has been at SLU. I would be absolutely shocked if SLU were to win the A-10 Tourney. 

If we are getting good enough recruits and aren't able to compete with the top 4 teams then IMHO it comes down to coaching. Isn't that where the buck should stop?

Since I don't live in the Lou I have no idea who the money people at SLU are? If Ford has 2 more years on his current contract then I'd guess we are stuck with him like it or not.  

38 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

That stat sort of shook me and made me put down the koolaid.  

At least our talent is good enough to win even though the in-game coaching is a D+

Must be regular season only because in the year they went to the NCAA's they beat 3 of those teams (Dayton, Davidson & St.Bonaventure) in a row.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is an open question.  Is Ford a good recruiter, or does he hire assistants that are good recruiters?  He is the boss, so he seals the deal, true. 

I have been lead to believe that Coach Tate was the integral piece in Goodwin, Collins, Hargrove, Perkins, Thatch and Nesbitt all signing with the Bills.  If Coach Tate was still at Missouri, or say with the Illini, would they all have signed with the Bills.  I don't know and no one can unweave what might have happened.  Where are we without Coach Tate?  Yes, Ford hired Corey Tate and that has turned out to be an excellent move. 

Every school has an assistant who does the bulk of recruiting and the head coach is used to seal the deal as you say.  You can make the same statement about Duke - if Coach K's lead recruiter was somewhere else would the players get be somewhere else.  

5 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Every school has an assistant who does the bulk of recruiting and the head coach is used to seal the deal as you say.  You can make the same statement about Duke - if Coach K's lead recruiter was somewhere else would the players get be somewhere else.  

So I guess you are saying the listed players do become Bills without Tate?  Or are you just making a general statement, which is fine, and I agree with on a 'universal basis'? 

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Tramaine Isabell talked about how Ford was a very impressive recruiter and how Fords persuasiveness was what got Isabell to commit to SLU when he was planning on going to Xavier.

Ford was a very solid recruiter at Oklahoma State and UMass.

To your question, I don’t think we land those recruits without coach tate. But we also probably do not land them without Coach Ford.

cgeldmacher, Gremio14 and AGB91 like this

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

So I guess you are saying the listed players do become Bills without Tate?

Not at all - what I am saying is every school has a lead recruiter and if that guy is not there many of the players he runs the show on would easily end up some place else.  The situation you just outlined above could be said for every school.

56 minutes ago, brownindians said:

Nothing wrong with your Coach. Problem is player performance.

This is true. The coach can guide the plays but he does not actually perform the plays planned, the same thing with shooting. The coach does not shoot the balls, the players do, if they shoot bricks (this is particularly true for easy layups that do not go in) it is not the coach's fault.