Travis Ford is not a good coach

Bonner89

10 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-again, my thought is that it is best for US for Cuonzo to have moderate success in CoMo and keep his job

as long as he doesnt poach billiken players.   i agree.  

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i was at an event last night where the "bragging rights" game was playing on the TV's.   what little i saw, was an embarrassment for anyone that calls themselves tiger fans.   wow, what a mess.   another example why we all should be so thankful for Coach Ford.   with whatever weaknesses he might have, it sure is still a hell of a lot better than that trainwreck going on in Boone County.   "The Poacher" has got the be the worst D-1 coach in all the land to put a product out like that is inexcuseable.   i ALMOST feel sorry for them.  but mostly i just laughed.

glad we got ford.   

Quite a low bar here. Objectively, I wouldn’t take any of them.

I ran into a friend of mine who is a Missouri High School State Hall of Fame Basketball Coach so I do think his opinion has legitimacy.  He brought up the Auburn game which he watched on TV.  I asked him why did he think Ford slowed the play down when he did with a 13 point lead.  His response was that apparently Ford saw something that led him to believe a change was needed.  I then pointed out that Ford did the same thing against Belmont and UAB.  He told me that sometimes a coach makes the same mistake because they believe what they did was right and are reluctant to change.  When I told him I thought the approach probably cost us an at-large bid he did not disagree.  He then went on and pointed out that the loss of Perkins was tough and he thought because of it  Ford had accomplished so far about what he would have expected.  I told him that I thought there was enough talent on the team to compensate somewhat for the loss of Perkins if the players could find where they fit in with Perkins being lost.  He said that could be because from what he saw the team could have won all three of those games. He then told me that when evaluating a college coach you have to look at the big picture.  He believes that Ford is a good recruiter - over the years he had players go to play for Self, Williams, Stewart, AZ to name a few so he has seen good recruiters.  He believes Ford is a good recruiter and a satisfactory game coach.  He also said for SLU Ford is a good choice because he probably is not looking a P5 job - been there done that - and is one who is willing to be committed to SLU.  Honestly, I think it is a decent evaluation of Ford.  He also said that he would always take a good recruiter who is a satisfactory game coach over a good game coach but a weak recruiter in the long run.  

My take away was that while it is frustrating to lose games like Auburn  the real prize is winning the A10 and he did not think that was a stretch from what he saw.  So, I guess all is not lost yet.

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I ran into a friend of mine who is a Missouri High School State Hall of Fame Basketball Coach so I do think his opinion has legitimacy.  He brought up the Auburn game which he watched on TV.  I asked him why did he think Ford slowed the play down when he did with a 13 point lead.  His response was that apparently Ford saw something that led him to believe a change was needed.  I then pointed out that Ford did the same thing against Belmont and UAB.  He told me that sometimes a coach makes the same mistake because they believe what they did was right and are reluctant to change.  When I told him I thought the approach probably cost us an at-large bid he did not disagree.  He then went on and pointed out that the loss of Perkins was tough and he thought because of it  Ford had accomplished so far about what he would have expected.  I told him that I thought there was enough talent on the team to compensate somewhat for the loss of Perkins if the players could find where they fit in with Perkins being lost.  He said that could be because from what he saw the team could have won all three of those games. He then told me that when evaluating a college coach you have to look at the big picture.  He believes that Ford is a good recruiter - over the years he had players go to play for Self, Williams, Stewart, AZ to name a few so he has seen good recruiters.  He believes Ford is a good recruiter and a satisfactory game coach.  He also said for SLU Ford is a good choice because he probably is not looking a P5 job - been there done that - and is one who is willing to be committed to SLU.  Honestly, I think it is a decent evaluation of Ford.  He also said that he would always take a good recruiter who is a satisfactory game coach over a good game coach but a weak recruiter in the long run.  

My take away was that while it is frustrating to lose games like Auburn  the real prize is winning the A10 and he did not think that was a stretch from what he saw.  So, I guess all is not lost yet.

Awesome analysis.   Case in point- Brad Soderberg is a national champion assistant coach.  Do we want him back as head coach?

7 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i was at an event last night where the "bragging rights" game was playing on the TV's.   what little i saw, was an embarrassment for anyone that calls themselves tiger fans.   wow, what a mess.   another example why we all should be so thankful for Coach Ford.   with whatever weaknesses he might have, it sure is still a hell of a lot better than that trainwreck going on in Boone County.   "The Poacher" has got the be the worst D-1 coach in all the land to put a product out like that is inexcuseable.   i ALMOST feel sorry for them.  but mostly i just laughed.

glad we got ford.   

If you can find the bold, you can find the blue font.....I fixed it for you....

billiken_roy likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Ford coached one of his best games of the season today. He finally handled the subs correctly. Traore was impressive and hopefully this buys him more minutes. Honestly its better to be in a tight game so he doesn't try to run the clock out.

Okoro also had has best game of the season. Perhaps travis finally lit a fire under him

gabriel likes this

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
38 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

What is the evidence that he is a good recruiter? Just hard to argue we have more talent than any of the other top6 teams.

Recruiting rankings.

the other coaches just coach better. 

SLU has had 4 top 75 players on the roster the last two years 

BilliesBy40 likes this

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

He is a better recruiter than anyone at SLU ever. Outside of maybe Alex Jensen with Rick.  But he isn't much else

8 hours ago, wgstl said:

Recruiting rankings.

the other coaches just coach better. 

SLU has had 4 top 75 players on the roster the last two years 

Neither of those responses are proof he’s a good recruiter. Getting good rated recruits doesn’t matter if they turn out to be overrated all the time.

29 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Neither of those responses are proof he’s a good recruiter. Getting good rated recruits doesn’t matter if they turn out to be overrated all the time.

This is why a coach is rated on 2 things, recruiting and coaching. What you’re getting it is the coaching , not Recruiting. But I pointed out is 100% recruiting

JMM28 likes this

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This is why a coach is rated on 2 things, recruiting and coaching. What you’re getting it is the coaching , not Recruiting. But I pointed out is 100% recruiting

I get what you’re sayin…but i’m saying the players he’s recruiting really aren’t as good as we are saying they are. There’s as much if not more talent on many other A10 teams.

Just now, Scoop said:

Stop bumping this thread up every time we lose. We get it. Shooting 15% from 3 with JNezz missing 2 open looks to win the game is not on the coach. Make some shots.

Maybe if Ford developed his bench and played other players throughout the games the increased rest would allow our wings to have their legs and increase their shooting percentages.  That's on Ford.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 minutes ago, Scoop said:

I would like to see a couple more guys get some minutes but you are reaching on this one. These kids are in shape and are still very capable of knocking down shots at the end of the game. 15% is for the whole game start to finish and is terrible.

We have 7 guys above 33% on the season from 3. While maybe we shot poorly this game, 3pt shooting % is not the reason we have struggled down the stretch.