GDT: Belmont

Bills By 40

5 minutes ago, NH said:

This is the worst it’s been in years, maybe even a decade. I don’t really understand why it’s so bad this season.

#1 non-conference attendance is always much weaker compared to A-10 games.  Comparing the average now to previous years is skewed because A10 games should bring up that average.

#2 I don't want to create a sh*tshow, but COVID is absolutely having an impact on attendance.  I don't think masking enforcement or vax requirements would change anything with attendance in a meaningful way.  I'd wager there are just a lot of people who went to games pre-COVID and after a year of not being able to go, they decided it's not worth going back for various COVID & non-COVID related reasons.  Cardinals attendance was down this past season.  Blues attendance is down this season. 

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

4,521 was the attendance last night?!?! You would certainly hope the BC game being on a Saturday evening against a name opponent will result in a solid crowd. If not, it is apparent the rest of the area doesn't carry nearly our same level of interest in the Billikens.

Update: I am seeing that we had 5,743 for this past Saturday's game against UAB (and 4,723 for the Mercer game on a Saturday two weeks prior), so that is not encouraging to see.

Just because I bothered to look it up:

-Central Arkansas - 4,805 / Harris-Stowe - 3,574 / Eastern Illinois (Friday) - 5,433 / Mercer (Saturday) - 4,723 / UAB (Saturday) 5,743 / Belmont 4,521

This seems pretty bad, anyone know how this compares historically for SLU? 

The poor attendance doesn't shock me all that much. I think staging an entire season without ticket sales, like college basketball teams did last year, is having an impact. It's put distance between the program and the casual St. Louis sports fan. Heck, even the Cardinals weren't immune to that dynamic. They struggled to draw their average attendance after opening back up to fall capacity earlier this year. 

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

#1 non-conference attendance is always much weaker compared to A-10 games.  Comparing the average now to previous years is skewed because A10 games should bring up that average.

I hear you. I went back and compared attendance to the first set of non conference games from each season under the Ford era and this season is the lowest I believe.

I wonder if anyone has heard anybody in the AD about causes other than just COVID stuff. 

13 minutes ago, NH said:

I hear you. I went back and compared attendance to the first set of non conference games from each season under the Ford era and this season is the lowest I believe.

I wonder if anyone has heard anybody in the AD about causes other than just COVID stuff. 

I feel like I am seeing this at all indoor basketball games on TV. I do think it is COVID related. The average MBM takes this for granted, but a lot of little kids sit in the stands normally. College basketball is a family thing. Kids can’t get the vaccine if they are under 5, and so, even though the risk is low for serious illness or death, half of the families with a child under 5 are probably risk averse to going. Maybe 10-15 percent of the total population. Then another 10-15 percent of the total population are high risk or just scared due to their personal concerns. The numbers just add up quick.

39 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I do think it is COVID related.

I am sure that is a primary factor. I was surprised to see how low the attendance was figuring season ticket holders would put attendance above what we are seeing, but I also don't know what sort of hit that may have taken. I also have not looked at any other college basketball programs beyond knowing Mizzou's attendance has to be down haha.

I looked into the Blues and they fluctuate between either around 16,500 and a complete sellout (18,096) for an average of 17,268 (95.4% of capacity) which is down slightly from recent seasons. I assume the difference being weekend vs midweek games. Different fan base and they do have a vaccine mandate, so probably just information for know and tell.

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

True but the coach said at the post game interview that he and his coaches must do better so hopefully that means unleash Nesbitt.  I would rather watch Nesbitt shooting 30 percent than Yuri because Yuri won’t shoot his way out of his slump but Nesbitt will because he is a shooter.

I’m not here to argue about Ford, Yuri or anyone else. Just want to state the put back stuff by Nesbitt last night was the most electrifying play I’ve ever seen by a Billiken. I, and everyone seated around me, was stunned for about a second or two.  Unbelievable play live. 

4 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

I’m not here to argue about Ford, Yuri or anyone else. Just want to state the put back stuff by Nesbitt last night was the most electrifying play I’ve ever seen by a Billiken. I, and everyone seated around me, was stunned for about a second or two.  Unbelievable play live. 

I would have bet my house that the put back dunk + GJ 3 on the next play would have been the winning sequence 

Gremio14 likes this

33 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

The way Nesbitt appeared to just hang in the air for a moment is something I don't remember seeing from another Billiken. 

Gremio14 likes this

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The way Nesbitt appeared to just hang in the air for a moment is something I don't remember seeing from another Billiken. 

Was telling my brother last night that the put back dunk by Nesbitt is the best dunk I've ever seen from a Billiken.  That play was incredible.

Gremio14 likes this

1 hour ago, Gremio14 said:

It was electrifying and the oohs and ahhs from the fans was priceless, it was a great moment.  The coach needs to play Nesbitt more and tell Yuri get the ball to Nesbitt and make sure Nesbitt takes more shots than you.

48 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

Was telling my brother last night that the put back dunk by Nesbitt is the best dunk I've ever seen from a Billiken.  That play was incredible.

The videos of it online don't do it justice. That's how great it was.

Littlebill likes this

8 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I feel like I am seeing this at all indoor basketball games on TV. I do think it is COVID related. The average MBM takes this for granted, but a lot of little kids sit in the stands normally. College basketball is a family thing. Kids can’t get the vaccine if they are under 5, and so, even though the risk is low for serious illness or death, half of the families with a child under 5 are probably risk averse to going. Maybe 10-15 percent of the total population. Then another 10-15 percent of the total population are high risk or just scared due to their personal concerns. The numbers just add up quick.

The regular Billikens crowd has always leaned to an older demographic. I'm sure there is a decent group who simply don't feel safe. At least not safe enough that the risk is worth watching a team that doesn't excite them.

By having a mask policy (enforced or not) and not a vaccine required policy, the administration really guaranteed they be pissing off a little bit of everyone. That can't have helped.

33 minutes ago, ARon said:

The regular Billikens crowd has always leaned to an older demographic. I'm there is a decent group who simply don't feel safe. At least not safe enough that the risk is worth watching a team that doesn't excite them.

By having a mask policy (enforced or not) and not a vaccine required policy, the administration really guaranteed they be pissing off a little bit of everyone. That can't have helped.

I don't have too much of a problem with the mask mandate. I do wish however they would at least try to enforce it if they're gonna have it. I'm in that older demographic you mentioned and I've had 3 jabs and feel pretty safe anyway.

Now, my beef:

I originally wasn't gonna bother getting into this cuz it might seem too much "get off my lawn" but this seems like a good place to mention it. Anyway, the arena has walk thru metal detectors and a small squad of people with wands. I'm guessing none of that is cheap.

We used to put our keys and phones in a bowl and walk on through. THIS year, they decided we would hold our keys and phones up like an offering to the gods and walk through. Last night, I was informed I now have to take off my coat and for some reason that I can't fathom, I was told to hold it over my head with my phone and walk through.

I've got a mask on, my glasses are fogging up, I'm trying to not drop my phone while I take off my coat and while holding it over my head. I was asked about my keys, but I said they never set off the machine so they let that go. I walked on through without an issue.  I get to games very early and walk the concourse for exercise. I watched the action at the gates last night and the "take off your coats" seemed to be unevenly enforced. By 6:30 or so, it wasn't enforced at all.

Am I being discriminated against because I like to arrive early?  Is there some data out there that says that college basketball terrorists only arrive early?? And what exactly does taking off my coat ensure?

THAT is the kind of silly sh!t that's gonna help this old fogey decide whether to go to a game or not. I've already decided I'm gonna stay home Saturday and watch it on TV. I have a cheap season ticket (upper bowl, end zone) and I may just continue to renew it (in the unlikely event we ever play Kansas or Duke) but stay home in a warm house with cheap snacks, no gas or parking, no cold 6 block walk, no worry about getting mugged or car stolen, (although I'd miss that scintillating Plinko game) and just watch online or TV.  I told the woman at the gate last night it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth to actually go to the game.

I've noticed in my section, several season ticket holders have missed more games than they've attended. That may change during the conference season of course, but if we keep losing home games late, it may not.

25 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I don't have too much of a problem with the mask mandate. I do wish however they would at least try to enforce it if they're gonna have it. I'm in that older demographic you mentioned and I've had 3 jabs and feel pretty safe anyway.

Now, my beef:

I originally wasn't gonna bother getting into this cuz it might seem too much "get off my lawn" but this seems like a good place to mention it. Anyway, the arena has walk thru metal detectors and a small squad of people with wands. I'm guessing none of that is cheap.

We used to put our keys and phones in a bowl and walk on through. THIS year, they decided we would hold our keys and phones up like an offering to the gods and walk through. Last night, I was informed I now have to take off my coat and for some reason that I can't fathom, I was told to hold it over my head with my phone and walk through.

I've got a mask on, my glasses are fogging up, I'm trying to not drop my phone while I take off my coat and while holding it over my head. I was asked about my keys, but I said they never set off the machine so they let that go. I walked on through without an issue.  I get to games very early and walk the concourse for exercise. I watched the action at the gates last night and the "take off your coats" seemed to be unevenly enforced. By 6:30 or so, it wasn't enforced at all.

Am I being discriminated against because I like to arrive early?  Is there some data out there that says that college basketball terrorists only arrive early?? And what exactly does taking off my coat ensure?

THAT is the kind of silly sh!t that's gonna help this old fogey decide whether to go to a game or not. I've already decided I'm gonna stay home Saturday and watch it on TV. I have a cheap season ticket (upper bowl, end zone) and I may just continue to renew it (in the unlikely event we ever play Kansas or Duke) but stay home in a warm house with cheap snacks, no gas or parking, no cold 6 block walk, no worry about getting mugged or car stolen, (although I'd miss that scintillating Plinko game) and just watch online or TV.  I told the woman at the gate last night it's getting to be more trouble than it's worth to actually go to the game.

I've noticed in my section, several season ticket holders have missed more games than they've attended. That may change during the conference season of course, but if we keep losing home games late, it may not.

Man I don’t know what to think about this post. You are obviously a fan or you wouldn’t have season tickets but man that’s a lot of whining. There is no way sitting at home in your BarcaLounger is as good as being at a game. Nesbitt’s slam was worth the price of admission even in the expensive seats. Entry is not that difficult. I do agree the mask mandate is kind of silly since most seem to ignore or use as a chin strap but I think that’s more of a city mandate thing.   I worry more about whether Yuri is going to turn the ball over then being mugged or car stolen. I forgot about Frank C. Loosen up. Enjoy Life. Also it’s going to be warm on Saturday get your ass in your seats and cheer on a Billiken victory. 

Bills By 40 likes this

I’ve had season tickets for a little over a decade.  I’ve never felt unsafe leaving a game.  I’ve never had issues with my car.   I know concessions are expensive at all sporting events.  But I’d like to see some data on lowering the price and selling more vs keeping it high and selling less.  I’m pretty much to the point where I won’t buy anything.  

I think they could do a lot better job of marketing and filling the place.  Reach out to high schools and get their pep clans in there have a contest of some sort for the loudest ones.  If you can offer free tickets for the whole team to a Saturday game if you high school won the night before.  Kids will buy concessions. Their parents might buy tickets to go also.  If they see an exciting time they’ll come back.   I would think it would be better to give tickets away then let the seats be empty.   There has to be more they can do.  People have a lot of options for entertainment these days.  You have to find a way to make them choose you.  I don’t think SLU does a good job of this.  

I remember in high school my friends and I buying tickets and driving 40 miles to go watch Clagget,H,and Highmark play.  They were top 25 and man those were fun games to watch.  We’d pile 5 or 6 people in a car and pay $5 to park in someone’s front yard.  I really miss those times.  Only thing we had to worry about was getting to class on time the next day.

majerus mojo likes this

10 minutes ago, Slowry said:

I’ve had season tickets for a little over a decade.  I’ve never felt unsafe leaving a game.  I’ve never had issues with my car.   I know concessions are expensive at all sporting events.  But I’d like to see some data on lowering the price and selling more vs keeping it high and selling less.  I’m pretty much to the point where I won’t buy anything.  

I think they could do a lot better job of marketing and filling the place.  Reach out to high schools and get their pep clans in there have a contest of some sort for the loudest ones.  If you can offer free tickets for the whole team to a Saturday game if you high school won the night before.  Kids will buy concessions. Their parents might buy tickets to go also.  If they see an exciting time they’ll come back.   I would think it would be better to give tickets away then let the seats be empty.   There has to be more they can do.  People have a lot of options for entertainment these days.  You have to find a way to make them choose you.  I don’t think SLU does a good job of this.  

I remember in high school my friends and I buying tickets and driving 40 miles to go watch Clagget,H,and Highmark play.  They were top 25 and man those were fun games to watch.  We’d pile 5 or 6 people in a car and pay $5 to park in someone’s front yard.  I really miss those times.  Only thing we had to worry about was getting to class on time the next day.

I think the university has little or nothing to do with concession pricing. Unless it has changed they have sold those rights to Delaware North. They also have the Baseball Cardinal concession contract. I am sure they have done pricing studies. And yes prices are ridiculously high. 

Slowry likes this

-I guess the expectation is that everyone is on whatever social media that BOGO offer is on, going to the SLU website and then Tickets upper level ends for BC are$20 plus fees and upper level center are $50 plus fees, that's $50 for an upper level ticket to see SLU/BC, I think that's crazy