GDT: Belmont

Bills By 40

If Yuri is making the same mistakes 3 games in a row that's on coaching. 

As for GJ being the best slasher and shooter that's not an issue.   The issue is creating for the other capable players. 

What happened to the Linssen back cut?

What about a clear out for a JN iso?

billiken_roy and CBFan like this

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

Another scorer must be developed and the logical choice is Nesbitt.  I agree he needs to take 12 to 14 shots and the coach and the fans must be patient.  If Yuri can take 13 a game then Nesbitt needs to take that many shots.

Yuri should not be taking 13 shots a game.  He's the least efficient scorer we have on offense.

2 hours ago, ARon said:

Jimerson should not be both our best outside shooter and slasher to the hoop.  I don’t understand why we aren’t seeing more driving from Thatch and Nesbitt.

I fear Jordan’s early hero-ball tendencies cost him Ford’s trust and now he is being treated like a 4th option in our offensive sets. 

I know Ford loves swingmen but you can’t expect to have a consistently good college offense when both your pg and sg are role players.

I would imagine he’s earned some more touches after he single-handedly kept us in the game

12 hours ago, GoSluBills said:

Did anyone happen to see the play that triggered Okoro getting benched tonight? I know he has struggled finishing at the rim, but I have to think he would've played better D against their starting center that a Linssen in foul trouble down the stretch?

Others have said this, but I haven't seen anyone directly reply to you.  It has been reported that Okoro was sick leading up to / during the same.  That's why he didn't play much and probably why he looked like crap when he did play.

I still think we would have been better off going with Traore or playing small & pressing instead of letting Linssen get beat inside repeatedly.

CBFan and GoSluBills like this

2 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-but he's not

True but the coach said at the post game interview that he and his coaches must do better so hopefully that means unleash Nesbitt.  I would rather watch Nesbitt shooting 30 percent than Yuri because Yuri won’t shoot his way out of his slump but Nesbitt will because he is a shooter.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Others have said this, but I haven't seen anyone directly reply to you.  It has been reported that Okoro was sick leading up to / during the same.  That's why he didn't play much and probably why he looked like crap when he did play.

I still think we would have been better off going with Traore or playing small & pressing instead of letting Linssen get beat inside repeatedly.

Okoro let someone easily score on him right after missing three layups himself.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

why is "the weave" even a thing for the billikens.  how would we like to have back all the time we wasted in that game doing the weave added back to the clock at the end?  just stupid. 

I forgot what team and game I was watching, but that had become one of my hot takes. I had watched a number of teams run that weave and always thought it was the easiest thing to defend and just wasted clock. Well, as I am ranting the team running the weave ends up getting two blow by dunks. I felt like a real idiot, but still would never run that if I were a coach.

3 minutes ago, ARon said:

Okoro let someone easily score on him right after missing three layups himself.

Right.  Also he was apparently sick.  His playing like crap & him being sick are very likely related and probably both led to him being pulled & not returning when Linssen was in foul trouble. 

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

I forgot what team and game I was watching, but that had become one of my hot takes. I had watched a number of teams run that weave and always thought it was the easiest thing to defend and just wasted clock. Well, as I am ranting the team running the weave ends up getting two blow by dunks. I felt like a real idiot, but still would never run that if I were a coach.

i dont know the scenarios you are talking about.   questions:  did the player(s) that successfully turned the weave into a dunk(s) have a special player that made that play?   did the player that did that step out of the routine (the billikens do 3 handoffs with yuri getting the third handoff who then waits for okoro or linssen to set the pick at the top of the key and then circles wide around such pick)?

my point is i can see that it would work with the right players and more variety in the execution.  but we do not.  it is totally set up to let yuri start the offense 15 seconds later and accomplishes nothing but to run clock.

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Not buying Traore could have stopped Muszynski.  Linssen did a good job on him, particularly when we doubled.  When Linssen was left on an island by himself and Mus got the ball in deep, there isn't much left to do.  Linssen used his bulk to bump Mus as much as he could. 

We stopped doubling Mus because he was passing out of the double. Neither Linssen, Okoro or Traore would have shut him down single handled.

CBFan and MusicCityBilliken like this

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Not buying Traore could have stopped Muszynski.  Linssen did a good job on him, particularly when we doubled.  When Linssen was left on an island by himself and Mus got the ball in deep, there isn't much left to do.  Linssen used his bulk to bump Mus as much as he could. 

We stopped doubling Mus because he was passing out of the double. (Note the 9 assists he had.)  Neither Linssen, Okoro or Traore would have shut him down single handled.

Traore did a better job of defending him in his few minutes played than Linssen. Linssen is absolutely a liability on defense. My entire group last night agreed and was pleasantly surprised by him. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We stopped doubling Mus because he was passing out of the double. (Note the 9 assists he had.)  Neither Linssen, Okoro or Traore would have shut him down single handled.

Linssen was good on him until he got 4 fouls.  Then he understandably played him a little less aggressive on D.  Belmont fed Mus immediately and he went to town.  It pretty clearly wasn't working.  I'm not sure Traore would have been any better, but Linssen with 4 fouls wasn't working.

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

Traore did a better job of defending him in his few minutes played than Linssen. Linssen is absolutely a liability on defense. My entire group last night agreed and was pleasantly surprised by him. 

Same here. All of us thought he played great. Linssen fell apart when he had foul issues. He also gets tired.  Traore needs to be our top big man by season end

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Just wait for BC… 2 straight home losses against teams you were up 6 at half against..

4,521 was the attendance last night?!?! You would certainly hope the BC game being on a Saturday evening against a name opponent will result in a solid crowd. If not, it is apparent the rest of the area doesn't carry nearly our same level of interest in the Billikens.

Update: I am seeing that we had 5,743 for this past Saturday's game against UAB (and 4,723 for the Mercer game on a Saturday two weeks prior), so that is not encouraging to see.

Just because I bothered to look it up:

-Central Arkansas - 4,805 / Harris-Stowe - 3,574 / Eastern Illinois (Friday) - 5,433 / Mercer (Saturday) - 4,723 / UAB (Saturday) 5,743 / Belmont 4,521

This seems pretty bad, anyone know how this compares historically for SLU? 

2 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Linssen was good on him until he got 4 fouls.  Then he understandably played him a little less aggressive on D.  Belmont fed Mus immediately and he went to town.  It pretty clearly wasn't working.  I'm not sure Traore would have been any better, but Linssen with 4 fouls wasn't working.

If you noticed, that was also when we quit doubling him.  We double him, he doesn't score on Linssen (and his four) but he passes out for a three.  Pick your poison.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It would be nice to see Linssen and Okoro pass out of a double.   In fact, I never see any kickout passes once they have the ball.

10 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

4,521 was the attendance last night?!?! You would certainly hope the BC game being on a Saturday evening against a name opponent will result in a solid crowd. If not, it is apparent the rest of the area doesn't carry nearly our same level of interest in the Billikens.

Update: I am seeing that we had 5,743 for this past Saturday's game against UAB (and 4,723 for the Mercer game on a Saturday two weeks prior), so that is not encouraging to see.

-Central Arkansas - 4,805 / Harris-Stowe - 3,574 / Eastern Illinois (Friday) - 5,433 / Mercer (Saturday) - 4,723 / UAB (Saturday) 5,743 / Belmont 4,521

plus saturday's upcoming BC game is at 4 pm.   wanna bet that the less than stellar billiken fans think attending mass on their more convenient time on Saturday instead of sunday morning "forces" them to miss the game?

17 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

It’s poor in eras since and including Spoon, and even later Grawer. 

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont know the scenarios you are talking about.   questions:  did the player(s) that successfully turned the weave into a dunk(s) have a special player that made that play?   did the player that did that step out of the routine (the billikens do 3 handoffs with yuri getting the third handoff who then waits for okoro or linssen to set the pick at the top of the key and then circles wide around such pick)?

my point is i can see that it would work with the right players and more variety in the execution.  but we do not.  it is totally set up to let yuri start the offense 15 seconds later and accomplishes nothing but to run clock.

I mostly remember spouting off and then the team scored on back to back plays off of the weave. If I recall correctly, it was being run with three guys who were fairly explosive, they were running it until they got the matchup they wanted (so not like a truly predictable number of handoffs), and they were getting a bit of an angle on the defender and just flat out beating him without a screen. So defended really poorly, but being run with three guys who could go off of the bounce. One of the few times I had seen it work and it happened to be back to back plays not long after I was mouthing about it.

SLUs is certainly more what I was mouthing off about, seemingly a way to burn clock.

17 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Haven't been to Chaifetz in a couple of years, but will be there on Saturday. Are we able to buy cheap seats and sit wherever, as I have been want to do, or do the ushers check tickets to sit in the lower level? 

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

It’s poor in eras since and including Spoon, and even later Grawer. 

This is the worst it’s been in years, maybe even a decade. I don’t really understand why it’s so bad this season.

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Haven't been to Chaifetz in a couple of years, but will be there on Saturday. Are we able to buy cheap seats and sit wherever, as I have been want to do, or do the ushers check tickets to sit in the lower level? 

As long as you look like you know where you’re going, I don’t think you’ll have an issue

majerus mojo likes this

5 minutes ago, NH said:

This is the worst it’s been in years, maybe even a decade. I don’t really understand why it’s so bad this season.

Cardinal Baseball attendance was appreciably down in ‘21 even after the Covid capacity restrictions ceased. 

For whatever reason, and they probably are multi, SLU announced attendance at Chaifetz Arena has not been what it was when SLU played off campus. But attendance this year is also less than what it has previously been since Chaifetz Arena opened. 

7 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I sit in section 101 and no one checks.

majerus mojo and Littlebill like this