GDT: Belmont

Bills By 40

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimerson's offense was pretty much the lone bright spot in the game and MBMs are shitting on him?

5 minutes ago, NH said:

Why did Okoro play so little? Why don’t we take any threes? We have a good three point shooting team.

This is a disheartening loss.

This!  Linssen with 4 fouls was getting destroyed by Muszynuski and Ford just watched it happen.  We kept getting beaten for backdoor layups with no help / rim protection too while he had Okoro, Nesbitt & Hargrove sitting on the bench.

5 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Still don’t think it’s infuriating? You like blowing leads at home?

I don’t like blowing a lead at home, but no, I’ve hardly ever found cheering for the Billikens to be infuriating.  Pre season, most on this site were not expecting this team to be a tournament team.  After starting 7–1, all of the sudden, everyone forgets what was a reasonable view of what we had and suddenly expects us to be an at large bid.  This is the team we expected at the beginning of the season.

majerus mojo likes this

1 minute ago, NYBilliken said:

Wow. Humbling loss. I'm not a Ford critic usually, but what was that? Yuri Collins walking the ball up the court. Effort was there from the players, but their hands were tied by slow-paced game. With the players we have, we should have won that game by 20 points. Everyone hesitant to shoot. There must be a reason, but that was tough to watch.

How are they going to win any game by 20?

Who is going to score enough to make that happen?

This team is lacking offensive talent.

The can out athlete “directional state U” but when they play an actual NCAA caliber team they won’t score enough to blow anybody out.

Once again, I’m back to asking what the fuok is the offense we’re running?  Yuri and our center on the pick-n-roll.  That’s it.  And it only works in the first half when Linssen and Collins are fresh.  It never works with Okoro because he has fumblitis.  It sputters in the second half when the other team doubles Linssen because Yuri can’t or won’t shoot.  Besides, Yuri’s man can block his shot.  Jimerson is getting mugged, grabbed and held.  That is a great strategy because Hargrove and Nesbit have nothing drawn for them.  They score on putbacks and the occasional defensive breakdown.  
Now look at Belmont.  Layup after layup.  They KNEW what they were doing.  

billiken_roy likes this

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

After a turnover by Nesbitt at 9:50, he was removed at 9:37, and returned at 3:15.  During those 6:22, with Nesbitt confined to the bench, SLU was outscored 9-5.

The yanks must go.  Period.

Nesbitt must be on the floor, not on the bench.

Not in anyway disagreeing. But what about the rest of time we stunk it up too? Who’s to blame. It’s always someone to blame we were out played 31 of the 40 min tonight 

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

8 of 21 layups.

8 of 21 on layups

You don't win CYC games hitting 8 of 21 at the rim.

Memphis all over. At least Memphis is a team you can be ok to losing to 

Just now, wgstl said:

Not in anyway disagreeing. But what about the rest of time we stunk it up too? Who’s to blame. It’s always someone to blame we were out played 31 of the 40 min tonight 

The most talented player on this team, the one player that can create his own shot, needs to be on the court, not on the bench, especially when the team is challenged to score and the lineup that was on the floor was not scoring.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Where are you getting that number from?

Just now, Bay Area Billiken said:

The most talented player on this team, the one player that can create his own shot, needs to be on the court, not on the bench, especially when the team is challenged to score and the lineup that was on the floor was not scoring.

Nesbitt just happens to be the best defensive player on the team, too.

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

And who is that?  I'm not seeing anyone fit that description.

I don’t believe it was ever reasonable to think this team would be in the at large conversation without major upsets (with Perkins leading the way), but the second half of the past two games has really been disappointing. 

Does anyone know what the offensive philosophy of this team is? What is the point of slowing down the offense when we clearly do best in the open court after turnovers or rebounds? Far too many occasions where we jog through the offense, telegraph screens and passes. Any opposing coach who is worth a damn can figure out how to defend us and put there guys in a position to create havoc. I don’t expect us to be world beaters but it’s detail stuff that’s been awful with these guys so far this season and clearly they’re not prepared well enough to play this way. 

There were multiple break downs on D where they would spread us out to open up the lane then back cut for an open bucket. That was at least 6 points that I saw.

Yes also agree on the offense, the set YC comes down slowly motion starts he goes to his left is doubled makes a bad pass or picks up his dribble and is stuck.

I think a lot of what we're blaming Yuri for is Ford's fault.

We were 8-21 on layups, 4-14 from three and 9-15 from the line.  You can't beat good teams that way.  

I'm not concerned about our nonconference record.  I'm concerned about this team establishing an identity.  They are still finding themselves and MBMs will be pissed off until they do.  Which means I'm logging off indefinitely.

cgeldmacher likes this