NET Tracker 2021-22

Littlebill

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This. It's no time to be looking past anyone. Hell, I saw where X lost to DePaul at home last week. 

For all the Bonnies inconsistencies, they were a top 25 team earlier this season for a reason.  Can’t overlook them for sure. 

1 minute ago, laker119 said:

For all the Bonnies inconsistencies, they were a top 25 team earlier this season for a reason.  Can’t overlook them for sure. 

I don't like looking past any opponent but the Bonnies were ranked that high based on their past performance and clearly something is askew for them this year.

Bills By 40 and dennis_w like this

I still maintain that the Bonnies got very lucky last year what with schedule and home dates.  They caught the big wave of Mighty Mo' and rode it.  They promptly went bye-bye in the Big Dance.  They are the same team this year only the length of schedule and their past notoriety is on them.  Lofton is a good to great point guard.  Osunniyi is a defensive fly swatter with no offensive game.  He is no different than DaRon Holmes.  Jaren (English) Holmes is not that good; he just went 2 of 14 against Fordham.  Welch only bombs from three.  The real key is Jalen Adaway.  Need to shut him down with Fred.  The bench is extremely weak and suspect; Schmidt barely plays seven guys.  

They will play slow ball.  Adaway averages 37.6 mpg; Holmes 38 mpg; Lofton 38.2; Welch 36.7 and Osunniyi 30.8.  I'd prefer we dictate tempo and make them come to us.  We beat them last year at our place 70 to 59.

10 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I still maintain that the Bonnies got very lucky last year what with schedule and home dates.  They caught the big wave of Mighty Mo' and rode it.  They promptly went bye-bye in the Big Dance.  They are the same team this year only the length of schedule and their past notoriety is on them.  Lofton is a good to great point guard.  Osunniyi is a defensive fly swatter with no offensive game.  He is no different than DaRon Holmes.  Jaren (English) Holmes is not that good; he just went 2 of 14 against Fordham.  Welch only bombs from three.  The real key is Jalen Adaway.  Need to shut him down with Fred.  The bench is extremely weak and suspect; Schmidt barely plays seven guys.  

They will play slow ball.  Adaway averages 37.6 mpg; Holmes 38 mpg; Lofton 38.2; Welch 36.7 and Osunniyi 30.8.  I'd prefer we dictate tempo and make them come to us.  We beat them last year at our place 70 to 59.

Admittedly I haven’t watched much of the Bonnies this year, but is it safe to say that they have a similar play style to Dayton? Talented PG with limited outside shooting, big shot blocker that isn’t good offensively, one strong scorer, and a slow play style? I’d imagine that we could implement the same game plan we used against Dayton and beat them handedly. After all this is the same team we’ve been playing for three straight seasons. Would probably just want to speed up the tempo more to gas them out.

@NoCoBillsFan -- that is my assessment as well.  They also have a weaker bench than Dayton.  There is no Amzil, no Brea, no Weaver, but they do have Coulibaly who is a Sissoko clone --- no offense, big body.  They play a slowdown game but with a quicker shot-per-possession than YouDee.  Dayton is slowest.  If I want anyone taking their shot, I think it's Holmes.  Adaway is really impressive to me.  And you cannot let Welch get going from three.

Who Jimerson covers is key.  I think Collins can negate Lofton.  Thatch gets Adaway.  Okoro is on Osunniyi.  Nesbitt gets Holmes leaving Jimerson on Welch.  Adaway is just so sneaky good.  Throw in Linssen, Hargrove and Jones plus being at Chaifetz and it's advantage SLU.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

Losing @ Bonnies is only a Q-2 loss and not a killer. 

Bills have anywhere from 3-6 tough games left (2 w/ Bonnies, @ Richmond, @ Davidson, @ URi, VCU). Two are Q4 games at home. 

6-2 probably lands SLU inside the NET top 40 and puts us at 14-4 in league play. 

I agree that winning two in a row against SBU won't be easy, esp. on short rest. The key I think is hitting them with pace and playing the aggressor. We have a real bench with TJ, Linssen, and Jones. Williams I hope too. Punch them hard on Friday and build confidence for that road trip. 

9 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Losing @ Bonnies is only a Q-2 loss and not a killer. 

Bills have anywhere from 3-6 tough games left (2 w/ Bonnies, @ Richmond, @ Davidson, @ URi, VCU). Two are Q4 games at home. 

6-2 probably lands SLU inside the NET top 40 and puts us at 14-4 in league play. 

I agree that winning two in a row against SBU won't be easy, esp. on short rest. The key I think is hitting them with pace and playing the aggressor. We have a real bench with TJ, Linssen, and Jones. Williams I hope too. Punch them hard on Friday and build confidence for that road trip. 

The short rest is far more of an advantage for us as Bonnies play literally 5 deep. We should just throw 10 players on the court in rotations and run, run, run, and hope they foul, foul, foul. We're better with our starting 5 and our next four are going to be the reason we kill them. 

bauman likes this

1 minute ago, Bills By 40 said:

The short rest is far more of an advantage for us as Bonnies play literally 5 deep. We should just throw 10 players on the court in rotations and run, run, run, and hope they foul, foul, foul. We're better with our starting 5 and our next four are going to be the reason we kill them. 

The short rest favors us a lot, but the quick coaching adjustments does not, imo. 

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU’s NET improved to 51. Davidson is 50.

This makes it simple to understand. All we need to do is defeat St Bona twice, then LaS, and Davidson, and we will have a net in the low 40s or high 30s and a way into the Dance whether we win the A10 tournament or not. What is wrong with this? I is easier to figure this out than to get it done. However, I think we are capable of doing this, barring injuries.

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

This makes it simple to understand. All we need to do is defeat St Bona twice, then LaS, and Davidson, and we will have a net in the low 40s or high 30s and a way into the Dance whether we win the A10 tournament or not. What is wrong with this? I is easier to figure this out than to get it done. However, I think we are capable of doing this, barring injuries.

This is true. The caveat is winning road games is more difficult, especially against good teams like St. Bona and Davidson in their difficult venues. While I do think SLU is better than both, those opponent home courts are at minimum equalizers, in some cases move the favorite the other way. 

Protecting the home court is paramount.

Old guy likes this

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

The beat down they gave us in the A10 tourney had nothing to do with luck. We were out coached and out played. I still consider them to be  the bear who you don’t want waking up against you. That said, they are  thin, and if we force the tempo, we should win. 

someoneelse and BilliesBy40 like this

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

The beat down they gave us in the A10 tourney had nothing to do with luck. We were out coached and out played. I still consider them to be  the bear who you don’t want waking up against you. That said, they are  thin, and if we force the tempo, we should win. 

Which means no last minute slow done if winning with 8 min left

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The Bell French combo had one early prerogative: Get Osunyi in foul trouble and failed. The credit goes to Osunnyi, did a great job of limiting contact.

As it relates to this game, I hope Traore gets a few minutes in the first half to mix it up with their big ... if Traore picks up a couple fouls, no big deal, the positives are it limits risk of Martin and Franco picking up early fouls and maybe he can bait Osunyi into picking up a cheap foul.