GDT vs UAB.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Thatch should rarely if ever top out at more than 20-22 minutes a game.  His shouldn’t be getting 31 minutes like he did tonight.

Spot on. If you're UAB, dominating the boards, you want SLU's two most athletic players with the highest ceilings on the bench -- Hargrove and Nesbitt.

15 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Thatch should rarely if ever top out at more than 20-22 minutes a game.  His shouldn’t be getting 31 minutes like he did tonight.

I could tell with the horrible free throw miss down the stretch Fred was gassed.

I think with Fred’s illness 20 minutes is all he probably has in him.

Changing the subject’s the trolls are out tonight.  It was a loss it happens.  I was entertained watching our team.

My concern is Yuri’s and Jimerson’s turnovers, it is a pattern now.

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

it's on again on BSN  1/2 way thru 1rst 1/2

I will try and rewatch.

I need to see if I can understand the subbing down the stretch Ford attempted.  Twice we had 4 guys on the floor in crunch time.  It looked awful and out of control from in the stands.

ARon likes this

16 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Spot on. If you're UAB, dominating the boards, you want SLU's two most athletic players with the highest ceilings on the bench -- Hargrove and Nesbitt.

They tried going to Hargrove and he wasn’t getting it done.

2 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

We let a little guard kill us shooting and couldn’t rebound missed free throws. Didn’t play defense all game. Didn’t deserve it

we have 2 "little guards" as well.  that little guard for uab would start for us imo.  he is a good player.  

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

I will try and rewatch.

I need to see if I can understand the subbing down the stretch Ford attempted.  Twice we had 4 guys on the floor in crunch time.  It looked awful and out of control from in the stands.

If you are talking the last 2 minutes or so he was subbing offensive-defense. Thatch and Nesbit on defense, Jimmerson and Jones on offense. Due to whistles it wasn’t always smooth. 

18 minutes ago, willie said:

If you are talking the last 2 minutes or so he was subbing offensive-defense. Thatch and Nesbit on defense, Jimmerson and Jones on offense. Due to whistles it wasn’t always smooth. 

We nearly ended up with 4 players on the court twice. The players were very confused.

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

Okoro had 5 rebounds. His rebounding wasn’t the issue for our bigs. When he doesn’t get one at least normally has his guy blocked out.  Linssen with two rebounds and the inability to block out anyone is an issue.

Thank you for calling me out for one rebound.  Okoro played more minutes then Linssen so he should have had more rebounds.  The point simply is that we rebounded poorly on both ends and usually that is a problem.  Their centers out rebounded us by more.  We have been outrebounded by the other team now two games in row.  We got lucky in Boise but not so for this game.

Looking at the stats for the game, the two players that won the game for them were Ertel with his shooting and Jemison with his rebounding. Johnson also contributed significantly to their win. We kept Walker, Buffen, and Jackson under reasonable control with our defense. They, on the other hand kept Jimerson under control.

Our best scorers were Linssen, Thatch, Okoro, and Jones, our best rebounders were Hargrove, Okoro, and Nesbitt. UAB handled out zone defense better than our man to man defense. Our FG and FT % for shots made were better than theirs.

This was a very physical game. The refs called a questionable foul on Yuri, and a technical on Thatch that may have turned the game over to UAB.

We used to lose games because we couldn't shoot from the field or from the line. Now when we lose we're allowing upper 40's in FG% and allowing 10+ offensive rebounds, which we've seen in wins too. Once we can clean those two items up we'll be very good. 

5 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

What a bunch of whiny *******!  This was a cap tipper game- UAB has some really nice talent and they beat us.  Move on and get better.

Agreed. A lot of teams lose games the fans think they should win. UAB’s got a nice team that could create some noise come the spring. The main thing that bugged me was the number of 2nd chance opportunities. We’re so used to winning the board game it shocks us when we don’t. Our best rebounders should have got the bulk of the minutes last night. 

They were good. We played pretty good outside of that stretch towards the end. I'd argue they looked better than memphis. But we win if jibby gimmerson hits that three. 

Some of y'all were quick to anoint Okoro even comparing him to Hasahn. I've tampered my expectations for him cause he's looked meh recently. We wanted shooting and we got it, but now it looks like rebounding will be an issue against these bigger teams. The grass is always greener...

1 hour ago, NextYearBill said:

TFord poops his pants in "big games"... you can see it from tip-off.... hes more agitated and looks worried. I think the team feels that and plays tight

That's just sour grapes.  UAB  out-rebounded SLU.  Lot of balls that bounced their way.  A couple more bounces going SLU's way and the final score would have been different .... a SLU win.  Just learn from this game and get better.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This loss was a team, including coaching staff, effort.  To single out one or two players doesn't cut it. 

Read the Whiz recap - he concluded that it was our poor rebounding that cost us the game.  I agree the whole team carries that mantel but some performed worse than others.  Had our centers rebounded better we probably would have won the game.

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Read the Whiz recap - he concluded that it was our poor rebounding that cost us the game.  I agree the whole team carries that mantel but some performed worse than others.  Had our centers rebounded better we probably would have won the game.

Had we scored six more points, we would have won. 

The offensive rebounds killed us. I don’t think that’s a super hot take. But the good news is, the things we’re struggling with are absolutely fixable. Most of rebounding is just effort. 4 years of JGood proves that. Ball watching and not boxing out. Running out before we get possession. We can fix that stuff. Something tells me, practice today ain’t gonna be real fun. But our offense, our athleticism, things you can’t teach, are absolutely there. And I’m certain that this team is going to continue to get better as the season goes on. If you would’ve told me when Perk went down that we’d be 7-2 with our only losses coming against Memphis and UAB, I would’ve taken it and never looked back. Sure, we’ve got some things that need cleaning up, but can anybody really say that this team hasn’t, at the very least, lived up to expectations without Perkins? I actually really like where the team is at right now. 

Matty Light likes this

38 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

The offensive rebounds killed us. I don’t think that’s a super hot take. But the good news is, the things we’re struggling with are absolutely fixable. Most of rebounding is just effort. 4 years of JGood proves that. Ball watching and not boxing out. Running out before we get possession. We can fix that stuff. Something tells me, practice today ain’t gonna be real fun. But our offense, our athleticism, things you can’t teach, are absolutely there. And I’m certain that this team is going to continue to get better as the season goes on. If you would’ve told me when Perk went down that we’d be 7-2 with our only losses coming against Memphis and UAB, I would’ve taken it and never looked back. Sure, we’ve got some things that need cleaning up, but can anybody really say that this team hasn’t, at the very least, lived up to expectations without Perkins? I actually really like where the team is at right now. 

This team is probably better than every Soderberg team FWIW. I know that is not a great standard but pointing out how things have been much worse. With some depth on the roster we should be contenders for the A10 tourney champ. Which, if you have been following the team the last few years, is the only way to guarantee a Big Dance bid.