GDT vs UAB.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Slowry said:

You’re right he isn’t the reason we lost.  But he was a decent part of it.  I like Yuri but the last several games his decision making hasn’t been great.  I think he’s trying to do to much to help make up for Perkins not being there.  I trust he’ll return to form.

Offense runs better with Jones right now.  Yuri was not good today.

Box and Won and SLU_Lax like this

Frustrating loss.  For whatever reason, UAB has always had SLU's number.  SLU is now 7-18 all-time vs. UAB.  It seemed that UAB wanted it more, outhustled SLU, which is very rare.

SLU was outrebounded (38-27), killed by UAB Offensive Rebounds (15!), had too many turnovers.  While 11 turnovers does not seem that many, there were some critical ones in the UAB run.  The SLU Offense in the 2nd Half was discombobulated. That was a very poor 2nd Half, as SLU was outscored 36-24, after taking a 48-41 lead into the locker room at half.

When I watched UAB lose by 2 on TV vs. USF-CA, I had the thought that Ertel was going to hurt us.  He did, 16 points, 3-4 from 3.  You can't let guys like him shoot.

The loss stings.  You must protect the home court.  Home losses count 1.6 in the NET.  An alleged, if not actual, "mid-major" like SLU from a non-Power 5 + 1 Conference has virtually no margin for error to get an NCAA at large.  You might get one mulligan;  you're not going to get two.

Let's hope for a better SLU effort Tuesday night at home vs. Belmont.

35 minutes ago, Slowry said:

You’re right he isn’t the reason we lost.  But he was a decent part of it.  I like Yuri but the last several games his decision making hasn’t been great.  I think he’s trying to do to much to help make up for Perkins not being there.  I trust he’ll return to form.

I’m yurimania all day long, but those were some painful, untimely turnovers down the stretch.

I would say that is the most evenly matched team we’ve played thus far (talent wise).  Got to learn how to do the small things and execute in crunch time or we’re in for a long season.

I've tried to take the attitude that without Perkins, any success we have is icing on the cake. In other words, I'm trying not to get too down on losses and treat the wins as gravy.

That said, I'm disappointed in Yuri's play and I don't know what I expected out of Okoro, but he just can't seem to get the ball over the rim in any kind of traffic. Now, he does get fouled and has been a pleasant surprise at the line but I think we'll have trouble with tall teams.

majerus mojo likes this

Collins was just terrible tonight. No way around it. Is what it is. He was not helpful.

My criticism is that I would have liked to see Ford experiment more with the lineup, such as playing both Okoro and Linssen at the same time, or giving more of Collins' minutes to Hargrove.. think this might have helped us compete more on the boards and score better against a big team like UAB.

It was frustrating. We didn't hit any threes in the second half, we lost.

Can we talk about how Thatch should barely be in this rotation please?

He's a walking TO.  He hardly ever has the ball in his hand how does he get this many?

He can't shoot.

He can't fill in as a lead guard.

He can't defend little guards (neither can Yuri or Jones)

He doesn't rebound enough.

That laughable dunk attempt, swatted away like I would swat away my daughters shot on her fisher price hoop.

Stupid flagrant foul.  That isn't an answer for their big man dunking with his nuts in our face.

Just now, slufan13 said:

One thing that would be nice is if our bigs passed the ball out of the post 

Probably not a good idea to run the offense through guys who can't pass.  

9 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

One thing that would be nice is if our bigs passed the ball out of the post 

There was one play where someone was open on the 3pt line (maybe Nesbitt?) and Okoro decided to shoot a contested deep two. One of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

UAB had 17!!! second chance points. We had six.  That is your whole ballgame right there.

We shot better overall, shot better from 3, shot better from the line and had less turnovers.  17-6 on second chance points.

I agree the rebounding was the big problem - when Okoro gets 4 rebounds for all the time he was in there that is a problem.

9 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Thatch was our second leading score on 4-6 sooting from the floor, had 4 boards and was 1-2 from 3.  His defense has been a huge disappointment and his turnover rate has increased, but he isnt close to one of the main reasons we lost this game.

His lack of rebounding cost us.  His two TOs both cost us points.  His flagrant was awful.  He missed a FT down the stretch.  His dunk attempt was not just laughable but deflating to the team. 

The sequence after the Linssen block, then their big man shaq fued us, then Thatch drop kicks their guy going for a layup for the flagrant was the sequence that lost the game for us.  Thatch played a big part in this loss.

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Attendance:  5,743.  Frankly, the crowd looked larger than that on TV.

It looked like 5000 plus so many open seats.

The last 5 minutes the crowd was loud trying to will the team for a win.

It was there with Jimerson’s wide open 3 attempt.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I agree the rebounding was the big problem - when Okoro gets 4 rebounds for all the time he was in there that is a problem.

Okoro had 5 rebounds. His rebounding wasn’t the issue for our bigs. When he doesn’t get one at least normally has his guy blocked out.  Linssen with two rebounds and the inability to block out anyone is an issue.