UAB

33 minutes ago, NH said:

The CUSA Mike Anderson teams were really good. I always respected those squads. They had a player I believe named Squeeky Johnson that I remember being particularly fun to watch.

There's a treatment for that now. I've seen the commercials.

I met Gene at the CUSA tournament in Birmingham, circa 1998 (Spoon's last year whenever that was).  Very cordial man willing to talk in the middle of an entry way with a complete stranger.  Son Murray was HC of UAB then, Gene might have moved up to AD.  Later, I had finaggled a seat on the court on press row.  Gene walked by, looked at me, pointed; I smiled and shrugged, he smiled and shrugged and left me be.  The best thing about that story is I watched UAB and Louisville go at it from "the front row."  That one game made me realize the true physicality of play that happens on a college basketball court.  No blood, but if there were some, no one would have been surprised.  

UAB was a commuter school, a night school, much like Temple.  It was also a satellite UA school removed from Tuscaloosa but not unlike UMSL, or UM-Rolla or others of that ilk.  There is UA-Huntsville and UA Medical along with Bama and UAB.  UAB wanted big time and have pursued it greatly.  They now have football along with their own stadium.  They come a long way from those formative Great Midwest days.  UAB was a founding member, coming in from the Sun Belt and joining Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, DePaul and us.  Started in 1991 and dissolved to form CUSA in 1996 and added UNC-Charlotte, Louisville, Southern Miss, Tulane and South Florida from the Metro and Houston from Southwest Conference.  So that's history from 30 years ago.

2 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Lutz was like a banty rooster on the sideline, reminded me of Billy Tubbs, but with slicker hair, of whom Norm Stewart once said, "Billy doesn't lose.  He just gets cheated."

In fact Rammer called Bobby Lutz the banty rooster on Billikens broadcasts.  Good times

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I met Gene at the CUSA tournament in Birmingham, circa 1998 (Spoon's last year whenever that was).  Very cordial man willing to talk in the middle of an entry way with a complete stranger.  Son Murray was HC of UAB then, Gene might have moved up to AD.  Later, I had finaggled a seat on the court on press row.  Gene walked by, looked at me, pointed; I smiled and shrugged, he smiled and shrugged and left me be.  The best thing about that story is I watched UAB and Louisville go at it from "the front row."  That one game made me realize the true physicality of play that happens on a college basketball court.  No blood, but if there were some, no one would have been surprised.  

UAB was a commuter school, a night school, much like Temple.  It was also a satellite UA school removed from Tuscaloosa but not unlike UMSL, or UM-Rolla or others of that ilk.  There is UA-Huntsville and UA Medical along with Bama and UAB.  UAB wanted big time and have pursued it greatly.  They now have football along with their own stadium.  They come a long way from those formative Great Midwest days.  UAB was a founding member, coming in from the Sun Belt and joining Cincinnati, Memphis, Marquette, DePaul and us.  Started in 1991 and dissolved to form CUSA in 1996 and added UNC-Charlotte, Louisville, Southern Miss, Tulane and South Florida from the Metro and Houston from Southwest Conference.  So that's history from 30 years ago.

gene bartow coached st charles high to a state championship