UAB

The schedule proceeds Saturday to UAB, an old foe from the Great Midwest and Conference USA.

On its 15 man roster, UAB (6-2) has 11 transfers, including 2 JUCO's.  UAB starts 4 transfers.  The leading scorer is Jordan Walker, 5'11" JR guard, two time transfer (Seton Hall/Tulane), who averages 16.6 ppg and shoots .465 from 3, 20-43.

UAB's starting lineup is 6'4", 6'4", 6'7", 7'0" and 5'11".

UAB has double digit home wins over UNC Asheville, Morehead State, Rhodes, Alabama A&M and East Tenn. St., a 13 point neutral court win over New Mexico, a 2 point neutral loss to still undefeated USF-CA (8-0) in Las Vegas, and a 3 point road loss at South Carolina.

SLU is only 7-17 all-time vs. UAB, 6-5 in St. Louis, 1-10 in Birmingham, 0-2 neutral.

Sagarin has this one as SLU by 4.65, rounded off to 5 points, mostly due to Sagarin's 4 point home court advantage to SLU.

Ratings as of reviews today:

SLU:  NET 52, RPI 76, ESPN BPI 49, Pomeroy 85, Sagarin 44, Massey 44, Average of the Six:  58.3.

UAB:  NET 83, RPI 30, ESPN BPI 52, Pomeroy 51, Sagarin 50, Massey 86, Average of the Six:  58.7.

This game looks about as dead even as possible.  Hopefully, the Billikens will protect the home court and win this one.  It is an important game potentially down the line when the NCAA Committee separates the sheep and the goats.

44 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The schedule proceeds Saturday to UAB, an old foe from the Great Midwest and Conference USA.

On its 15 man roster, UAB (6-2) has 11 transfers, including 2 JUCO's.  UAB starts 4 transfers.  The leading scorer is Jordan Walker, 5'11" JR guard, two time transfer (Seton Hall/Tulane), who averages 16.6 ppg and shoots .465 from 3, 20-43.

UAB has double digit home wins over UNC Asheville, Morehead State, Rhodes, Alabama A&M and East Tenn. St., a 13 point neutral court win over New Mexico, a 2 point neutral loss to still undefeated USF-CA (8-0) in Las Vegas, and a 3 point road loss at South Carolina.

SLU is only 7-17 all-time vs. UAB, 6-5 in St. Louis, 1-10 in Birmingham, 0-2 neutral.

Sagarin has this one as SLU by 4.65, rounded off to 5 points, mostly due to Sagarin's 4 point home court advantage to SLU.

SLU:  NET 52, RPI 76, ESPN BPI 49, Pomeroy 85, Sagarin 44, Massey 44, Average of the Six:  58.3.

UAB:  NET 83, RPI 30, ESPN BPI 52, Pomeroy 51, Sagarin 50, Massey 86, Average of the Six:  58.7.

This game looks about as dead even as possible.  Hopefully, the Billikens will protect the home court and win this one.  It is an important game potentially down the line when the NCAA Committee separates the sheep and the goats.

Good info here, thank you for posting. Agree, dead even. NCAA NET rankings listed above are from last April and are not current, so they should be thrown out when compiling averages.

7 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Good info here, thank you for posting. Agree, dead even. NCAA NET rankings listed above are from last April and are not current, so they should be thrown out when compiling averages.

Deleting the NET, the average of the five ratings is:  UAB 53.8, SLU 59.6.

I watched on TV UAB's game vs. the USF Dons.  UAB was primarily a half court team that night, did not shoot the ball particularly well.  Based upon watching that one game, albeit through my blue tinted glasses, call it the BAB Eye Test, totally objective and unbiased, as always, I thought SLU is a better team than UAB.  I also think SLU is better than undefeated USF-CA, having also seen the Dons play in person at the Chase Center in a 65-60 USF win over Davidson.

VeniceMenace likes this

32 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Sadly Chaifetz won't be rocking for UAB.  Creep into that top 25 get in the sports ticker and people will show and get a louder environment. 

It has the ingredients for a great crowd: First home game in two weeks, Bills are 7-1, UAB's an old foe, the most competitive home match-up yet, 9 days until finals start, Blues are away and play at noon, I think fans can stay after the game for a Men's soccer watch party (not entirely sure about the details on that though).

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Thanks for your research on this BAB.  Certainly points to a tough matchup.

7 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Well they were in CUSA with us had a coach Bobby Lutz who had sweet hair and mustache

HAHAHAHA  was close to him at cusa tourney a few times i always marveled at how perfect his hair was.   incredible.  

This game should have the largest attendance of the season I am hoping for at least 7000 because the bills have only lost one game and it’s a Saturday.

Anyone that likes division 1 college basketball in the area knows who UAB is and I hope those fans come out with their kids it’s a good value for kids night out.

Old guys please help me out here.  If I recall, UAB at home, Feb 1994, ALMOST was the worst loss ever.  Bills up 4 in OT, Blazers have the ball with maybe 3 or 4 seconds left.  A Blazer (can't remember his name) is hauling downcourt, and Carlos McCauley is hounding him hard.  CARLOS, we are up 4!!  Get the heck away.

Anyway, the Blazer heaves one from half court and sinks it.  From my vantage point in the Arena, McCauley fouled him.  FOULED HIM - WE ARE UP BY 4! Luckily the refs wanted to go home. 

@billiken_roy, @slu72, and any others who were there, please correct my memory.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

HAHAHAHA  was close to him at cusa tourney a few times i always marveled at how perfect his hair was.   incredible.  

Lutz was like a banty rooster on the sideline, reminded me of Billy Tubbs, but with slicker hair, of whom Norm Stewart once said, "Billy doesn't lose.  He just gets cheated."

When I was an undergraduate student at SLU, during the Ekker Era, I remember SLU playing this new team, Alabama-Birmingham.  We wondered why we were playing a brand new team, but that team was coached by Gene Bartow, of whom we were all familiar from his stints at the then Memphis State, Illinois (one lost year) and UCLA.