GDT: Boise State

Bills By 40

i doubt collins is in danger of being benched or playing less minutes......yet.   however, the fact jones has shown he isnt near the downgrade i initially expected show imo that ford now has options and some breathing room and it wouldnt affect the time or the position he wants to play nesbitt.   

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, bauman said:

CB, drinking a lot of that Blue CoolAid, eh?  One of the tough 6 stretch down and 5 to go.  4 at home and Drake at Vegas.  Of the remaining 5, I would be happy with 3-2 (L to either UAB or Belmont, and Auburn) and excited about 4-1 ( L to Aub.)  I really can't envision 5-0 so I will just call it a dream.

In that DREAM, YC needs to get back to a 5-1 A to TO ratio, GJ needs to hit45%+ from 3, JN needs to finds his Off and hit 12-14 pts per, ML/FO need to continue as they are with a few less fouls per game, TJ needs to take a few more shots per game. FT Jr needs to continue his play w/o any physical issues and the DJ/Williams combo need to contribute 10-12 per game.  Finally the team nee, ds to continue to hit Wiz's slash, especially the 3 pt and FT%'s

You want a 5-1 Asst to T/O rate? In the real world by the end of the year, 2 to 1 is good. 2 1/2 -1 is very good 3-1 would be superb, more than that is truly elite. 

Yuri absolutely needs to do a better job taking care of the ball than he has these last few games, but when it's all said and done if he can be at 8+ assists with a 3-1 ratio, I'll be happy. He's got some work to do. 

billiken_roy likes this

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

You want a 5-1 Asst to T/O rate? In the real world 2 to 1 is good. 2 1/2 -1 is very good 3-1 would be superb. 

Maybe my dream figure is too high, but my point is we need him A LOT better than recently, especially the negative 1;3 A/TO ratio he had at Boise St.  I think with the shooters we have and the alley opp set ups, he is capable of better than 3/1 and I think he showed that at the beginning of the year when he was being thought of as one of the top 3-5 PG's in the country-that's the Yuri we need back.

I’m not worried about Yuri. I still think that he is forcing things a bit after Ford told him that the team was his. I think Ford is smart enough to recognize this and help him reel it back in.

However, I agree that he struggles against taller lineups & bigger guards. That seems to be a consistent trend even going back to last year when we played Miss. St and Minnesota.

22 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i doubt collins is in danger of being benched or playing less minutes......yet.   however, the fact jones has shown he isnt near the downgrade i initially expected show imo that ford now has options and some breathing room and it wouldnt affect the time or the position he wants to play nesbitt.   

I really hated when Yuri and Deandre played together at the start of the season but it has turned out to be a good strategy to take some of the playmaking pressure off of Yuri. Although I think Nesbitt could have some success as a secondary ball handler without giving up so much size

Yuri will be fine. Teams are guarding him differently and he hasn't totally adjusted but he's going to figure it out. Despite the fact that his statsheet ended up looking pretty solid last night, he did not play well. I'm not exactly sure why that's such a crime to say on this board. He's not playing his best right now but I would expect him to pick it back up pretty quickly. 

4 minutes ago, bauman said:

Maybe my dream figure is too high, but my point is we need him A LOT better than recently, especially the negative 1;3 A/TO ratio he had at Boise St.  I think with the shooters we have and the alley opp set ups, he is capable of better than 3/1 and I think he showed that at the beginning of the year when he was being thought of as one of the top 3-5 PG's in the country-that's the Yuri we need back.

I agree but just remember the beginning of the year stats were against some pretty bad teams. Last year he was about 2.8-1 and among the assist leaders that was near the top of the rankings. I was and am good with that ratio. I'd like to see him get to 8 pg or close to it and his scoring up to about 10 ppg. 

I think he's trying to do too much. He also needs help. We can't have people not moving or missing dunks and bunnies. 

5 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I’m not worried about Yuri. I still think that he is forcing things a bit after Ford told him that the team was his. I think Ford is smart enough to recognize this and help him reel it back in.

However, I agree that he struggles against taller lineups & bigger guards. That seems to be a consistent trend even going back to last year when we played Miss. St and Minnesota.

you have a quote that ford said that?   i never saw that. 

3 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Yuri will be fine. Teams are guarding him differently and he hasn't totally adjusted but he's going to figure it out. Despite the fact that his statsheet ended up looking pretty solid last night, he did not play well. I'm not exactly sure why that's such a crime to say on this board. He's not playing his best right now but I would expect him to pick it back up pretty quickly. 

We'll disagree on his play in the 2nd half and overtime. I'm one of his biggest fans and I don't mind and even agree with some of the critiques. It's just the over the top stuff I push back on. Like last year he had a 2.8 - 1 t/o to assist ratio while being near the top of the assist pg rankings, but reading this board at times you'd have thought he was just a turnover machine. 

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I’m having trouble trying to find it now but if I’m not mistaken there was an interview with Yuri where he said that Ford told him that it was “his team”. I think there was another one where coach Ford said the same thing.  I will keep trying to look for it

1 minute ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

I’m having trouble trying to find it now but if I’m not mistaken there was an interview with Yuri where he said that Ford told him that it was “his team”. I think there was another one where coach Ford said the same thing.  I will keep trying to look for it

45 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Yuri talked about it in his A10 Media Days interview.

NoCoBillsFan likes this

Yuri is best when driving to the basket and then finding someone open.  How many times have we seen him drive and then thread the ball to Linssen for an easy layup or shoot it outside to TJ or Jimerson for a three.  Opposing coaches are seeing this and adjusting.  The two guard trap employed by Illinois State was an example.  Take away his ability to drive and Superman is now just Clark Kent.  This is also true of almost any athlete out there.   Double team Labron and he will have to trust his teammates to beat you.  This team needs to figure out a way to run the offense if opposing teams try to take away Yuri.  Given how much the team is relying on him handling the ball and distributing, that's a big adjustment.  However, we need to figure it out so that it's not a problem down the road.

On 11/30/2021 at 8:13 AM, BillikenBeep said:

What channel is the game on tonight?  The Gameday tweet just says @stadium 

Is it picked up locally?  

Some don't like the announcers on Stadium TV, but it's handy that their website stores the games aired on their network.

For example, the Tuesday SLU-Boise State game (Nov 30, 2021) is here: https://watchstadium.com/videos/11-30-21-saint-louis-at-boise-state-mens-basketball-mens-basketball/

Stadium TV's website still has a link to the SLU-St. Bonaventure game (March 7, 2020) at Chaifetz, which was the last game before COVID forced the cancellation of the remainder of that season:

https://watchstadium.com/videos/st-bonaventure-at-saint-louis-mens-basketball-3-7-2020-2/

RUBillsFan likes this

I am guessing about this, of course, but Ford said in his interview that practice at Boise, before the game was played, had been slow or something like it. Boise is at an altitude of 2700 feet. People can have problems with exertion and breathing at high altitude and not everyone reacts to the high altitude in the same way. For example in 1980 I was at a conference in Reno (altitude about 4000 feet) and had trouble walking relatively short stretches without stopping to catch my breath. I had no problems sitting down at the conferences.

Another anecdote is from my wife, who years ago played a game of tennis with her daughter in Denver (5280 ft altitude), and found she could not play because of severe shortness of breath.

Here is my guess, would it be possible that some, not all, of our players might have been affected to some degree by the 2700 feet altitude combined with the high exertion level required for the game?

We had asthmatic players before and of course we barely know the limitations Fred Thatch puts up with in normal altitude- but you would also assume the coaches would do more than go slowly at practice the day of game. For years Div 1 teams have gone to Hawaii, NY city, Las Vegas and some after hours on planes or buses to find a rested acclimatized opponent waiting to feed on their difficulties. Just the amazement of new surroundings has to be a concern 

thatskablamo likes this

9 hours ago, GOSLU68 said:

We had asthmatic players before and of course we barely know the limitations Fred Thatch puts up with in normal altitude- but you would also assume the coaches would do more than go slowly at practice the day of game. For years Div 1 teams have gone to Hawaii, NY city, Las Vegas and some after hours on planes or buses to find a rested acclimatized opponent waiting to feed on their difficulties. Just the amazement of new surroundings has to be a concern 

Wyoming does that almost better than anyone. Laramie’s elevation of 7200 ft is used in UW’s hype videos and is the “12th” man at War Memorial stadium for football games. I had the chance to take in a game in 2015 when Larry Nance JR was there and the aptly named “Arena Auditorium” basketball facility wasn’t too shabby. If you have the chance to take a day trip from Denver, the Terry Bison Ranch right when you cross the state line from CO into WYO on I-25 is a great start to any trip into the high plains.