GDT: Boise State

Bills By 40

Wow best FT shooting team in the country? This has almost completely offset losing our top 3 from last year. 

Gibson is a beast, but he seems passive imo. I would like to see a fire under him. He seems quiet but I could be wrong. Silent assassin 

Okoro looks lost in the sauce. Looks like he is still developing into his body, doesn’t know where he is. That rebound he took away from Yuri was trash. 

we will be top 3 in the A10 this year with FT shooting alone boosting us. Just have to get the rest of the pieces together and consistency with guys like Nessbit and Hargrove 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Yes Yuri came on but the last three starts have been mind-boggling with the kid.  And don’t discount Deandre Jones first half effort.  He led the team back from the 11 -0 start.  

and again, we tried to make three point hero’s out of Shaver and the Serb turd.

Coach Ford mentioned in the post game interview that the offense was playing well in the last 10 minutes of the first half and did not mention that Jones was running the offense.

The best scoring run was in that half that included a 3 by Jones.

Horrific start. We need to cut that out. With that said, gutsy performance by the boys to grind out a win. 

Yuri was much better in the second half, but overall not a good game from him.  I wish people would slow the hype train on him a bit, he’s much better when he’s under the radar. 

Bizziken and drkelsey55 like this

39 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Horrific start. We need to cut that out. With that said, gutsy performance by the boys to grind out a win. 

Yuri was much better in the second half, but overall not a good game from him.  I wish people would slow the hype train on him a bit, he’s much better when he’s under the radar. 

The offense was flowing much better with Jones in there at the end of the first half.  Not saying he should be starting, but I do think that is something to keep an eye on if the offense becomes stagnant or isn't clicking when Yuri is in.  In these cases, Ford could go to Jones to switch it up and see if it changes the dynamic of the offense.  Jones is also a big time threat from 3 - something Yuri is not.

I was trashing him pretty good to my brother over text.  I wanted to smash my fist through the wall on that half ass pass that became a turnover...however, he did make some clutch drives at the end so all is well.

4 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Thank you Ford for recruiting free throw shooters. Never knew what it was like to win close games because of it. Refreshing. 

Absolutely.  It's also nice to see GJ change his game to get to the hoop more, draw the foul and take advantage of his great free throw shooting.  Going to be a difference maker between an W and L if he can continue to do that.  It will give him more space at the 3 line too if he becomes a threat to take it to the hole.

41 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

Absolutely.  It's also nice to see GJ change his game to get to the hoop more, draw the foul and take advantage of his great free throw shooting.  Going to be a difference maker between an W and L if he can continue to do that.  It will give him more space at the 3 line too if he becomes a threat to take it to the hole.

Jimerson didn't change his game.  Coach Ford changed the offense by putting Jimerson in motion.  There is also a focus on running plays to get Jimerson open, since with Perkins out, he's the first option on offense.

Hard to read parts of this game thread. It seems like some posters think there is no opponent or have a short memory regarding how hard it is to win on the road against a top 50, 75, or 100 team. How many top 100 road wins do we have over the last 20 years? Probably less than 1 per season, maybe considerably less. 

Every time I read a game day thread, I remember why I shouldn’t. 

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Jimerson didn't change his game.  Coach Ford changed the offense by putting Jimerson in motion.  There is also a focus on running plays to get Jimerson open, since with Perkins out, he's the first option on offense.

of course Jimerson has changed his game ....He is much more aggressive attacking the basket and is making use of ball fakes which he didn't in the past....of course Ford get's some credit, but so does the player...

joe_davola likes this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

i think yuri needs to concentrate on just being the superb point guard that has great floor vision and doesnt make mistakes. 

collins is not "the man" and imo it seems he has decided to take on that role.   not sure if we have "a man" right now.  Jimmmerson appears to be the closest thing to that but i still believe by season's end it will be nesbit who definitely has shown he wants to be and has shown his is a special athlete.  just needs to get a better handle on what he can and cannot do.   doing too much can hurt as collins is proving.   

that all said above, yuri in the last minute of the game was "the man".   the first 44 minutes last night he was not good.  Jones was better when he subbed in for yuri after the early fouls.   but i am not of the belief we get away with that again.  most likely boise wasnt prepared for jones to be effective.   

SluSignGuy and Zink like this

24 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Hard to read parts of this game thread. It seems like some posters think there is no opponent or have a short memory regarding how hard it is to win on the road against a top 50, 75, or 100 team. How many top 100 road wins do we have over the last 20 years? Probably less than 1 per season, maybe considerably less. 

Every time I read a game day thread, I remember why I shouldn’t. 

Which is why I now follow Stu, Carter, and the main SLU Twitter pages.

hmart23 likes this

1 minute ago, Brighton said:

Which is why I now follow Stu, Carter, and the main SLU Twitter pages.

Most of us have done our time as the irate MBM in game threads who throws player/coach under the bus when things aren't going our way.  And the older we get, the more we tend to avoid game threads in real time.  It's a process.

dennis_w and slufanskip like this

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i think yuri needs to concentrate on just being the superb point guard that has great floor vision and doesnt make mistakes. 

collins is not "the man" and imo it seems he has decided to take on that role.   not sure if we have "a man" right now.  Jimmmerson appears to be the closest thing to that but i still believe by season's end it will be nesbit who definitely has shown he wants to be and has shown his is a special athlete.  just needs to get a better handle on what he can and cannot do.   doing too much can hurt as collins is proving.   

that all said above, yuri in the last minute of the game was "the man".   the first 44 minutes last night he was not good.  Jones was better when he subbed in for yuri after the early fouls.   but i am not of the belief we get away with that again.  most likely boise wasnt prepared for jones to be effective.   

A bad 44 minutes? I missed the early part of the game but by reading the board I got the impression he was 0-4 with at least 2 turnovers. If that’s the case that gives him 15 points after the break on 5-9 shooting, 5-6 from the line and 1 t/o. 

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Most of us have done our time as the irate MBM in game threads who throws player/coach under the bus when things aren't going our way.  And the older we get, the more we tend to avoid game threads in real time.  It's a process.

This is correct. I consider myself a cynic, but even I have limits.

55 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I disagree.  Last year he was hesitant to drive and establish any contact whatsoever.  He was NEVER at the line.  Not saying the offense hasn't helped him do that this year, but to say he hasn't changed his game to be more aggressive is incorrect in my opinion.

Did I see the stats right?  Only 1 assist for Yuri?  We need a lot more from him in that area.

On an unrelated note, Seeing the team board their flights for Cancun and Boise makes it clear that the old days of waiting on commercial flights is no more.  The guys are traveling first class on nice charters.  Congrats to the Ath. Dept. on a good decision and maybe to Coach TF on pressing the issue.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

And the older we get, the more we tend to avoid game threads in real time.  It's a process.

I find the real time in-game threads fantastic. Especially if I'm unable to watch and am listening on the radio. It's the Monday morning quarterbacking ("I don't want to see Yuri taking shots" "Jimerson isn't going to the line enough", "So-and-so should be in the starting lineup", etc....) the day after a hard fought win that seems advisable to avoid. 

CBFan likes this

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

I find the real time in-game threads fantastic. Especially if I'm unable to watch and am listening on the radio. It's the Monday morning quarterbacking ("I don't want to see Yuri taking shots" "Jimerson isn't going to the line enough", "So-and-so should be in the starting lineup", etc....) the day after a hard fought win that seems advisable to avoid. 

It’s Wednesday. Get it together. :)

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A bad 44 minutes? I missed the early part of the game but by reading the board I got the impression he was 0-4 with at least 2 turnovers. If that’s the case that gives him 15 points after the break on 5-9 shooting, 5-6 from the line and 1 t/o. 

skip come on.  you are letting your fanship get in the way.   you think that second half play by collins was good?  was it what we have come to expect let alone the step up most of us assumed would naturally happen?   

9 minutes ago, joe_davola said:

I disagree.  Last year he was hesitant to drive and establish any contact whatsoever.  He was NEVER at the line.  Not saying the offense hasn't helped him do that this year, but to say he hasn't changed his game to be more aggressive is incorrect in my opinion.

I thought the original poster was noting the difference from Memphis to this game. There seemed like a difference. Jimerson wasn’t just waiting on a pass from the wing, he is now running a lot more. They probably ran sets for him more. That is probably a game by game decision by the coaches though, if they think it will get us good shots. Not guaranteed.

10 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

1-8 from Nesbitt... yikes. I didn't even notice, I thought he was doing well

I didn't get to see the game, but looking at Nesbitt's stat line gives me hope on his becoming a bigger contributor.  He is a good shooter from both inside and outside of the arc.  I think he will do much better than 1/8 and 1/4 as the season goes on.  But you have to give him credit for playing 31 minutes with zero TO's, 1 PF and a team leading 8 rebounds.  Pretty good for a FR.

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

I didn't get to see the game, but looking at Nesbitt's stat line gives me hope on his becoming a bigger contributor.  He is a good shooter from both inside and outside of the arc.  I think he will do much better than 1/8 and 1/4 as the season goes on.  But you have to give him credit for playing 31 minutes with zero TO's, 1 PF and a team leading 8 rebounds.  Pretty good for a FR.

Nesbitt's shot was off last night and he made a few bonehead plays (like trying to draw a foul from the defender instead of dunking it during a fast break), but he was a key player on defense and on the boards.  His one block, steal, and pass up the court on transition was a thing of beauty.

7 minutes ago, bauman said:

He had some good moments, including some key rebounds and a few steals and blocks. He looks uncomfortable on offense though. This was clear a few times last night, including on a late-game fast break where he was bailed out. Still, his upside is tremendous, and I expect him to grow more comfortable on offense as the season goes along.