GDT: Boise State

Bills By 40

4 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

I'm not a rocket scientist but I wonder if there's a correlation between their slow tempo (# of possessions in a game) and their rebounding percentages?? They're certainly better than I thought, my mistake there, but their rebounding #s could be skewed due to factors like competition and sample size of possessions aka if we run the tempo and double the # of possessions in the game, do they double their rebounding #s or do they not know how to handle it?? 

My understanding is that rebounding percentages are the percentage of their own misses they rebound (offensive rebound %) and their opponents misses they rebound (defensive rebounding %).  The level of competition would certainly have an impact, but the stats are tempo neutral.  Meaning the number of possessions shouldn't have an impact. 

Let's say you have a game were old school Loyola Marymount under Paul Westhead is playing Greenville (IL) and both teams press like crazy and shoot within 5 seconds.  If Greenville misses 100 shots and they rebound 20 of them ,their offensive rebound % is 20%.  Now let's say Tony Bennet's Virginia squad goes up against a Brad Soderberg coached SLU team.  Both teams run the clock on offense & play tough defense.  SLU misses just 20 shots and rebounds 4 of them.  Their offensive rebound % is also 20%.

Rebounding %s are way better measure than raw totals.  You could have a situation were a team plays fast, gets destroyed and shoots like 20% from the field - they may end up with a bunch of offensive rebounds because there are so many opportunities, but that doesn't make them a good offensive rebounding team.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a free trial via the link in the article to watch the SLU game tonight online.

https://www.si.com/tv/college-basketball/saint-louis-vs-boise-state-nov-30-live-stream-watch-online-free

I believe it’s frees on watchstadium.com

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

Davidson,  I appreciate you putting the petal to the metal so I can watch my game on time.
I feel like every time our game follows another ncaa game- it some how goes to overtime or takes 30 minutes to play 1 minute of basketball. 😒