Who is our closer?

HoosierPal

Scenario:  Bills one point down.  We have the ball with 25 seconds on the clock.  Game on the line.  Who takes the shot?  Assume the opponent will have their shot blocker in the paint.  Zebras will swallow their whistles, so don't even count on free throws.  Any of our 8 man rotation could be in; your pick.

I really don't know.  Collins, unlikely unless he has an uncontested 12 footer. Defense would have to make an error to have him that open, so he is a no.

Linssen, chances are good his shot would be blocked.  Not sure I want him to take a 10 footer.  Okoro can't finish in traffic, so two no's for me.

Jimerson, he would be guarded like a glove on the perimeter, and his handle isn't good enough to penetrate into the tall trees.  So another no for me.

Thatch doesn't shoot well enough and hasn't shown the ability to penetrate in heavy traffic.  But I'd have some faith at him finishing at the rim.  So a maybe leaning to no.

Jones, well he can get his shot off on the dribble, and does have a mid range, so he is a maybe.

Hargrove, yeah, he has a mid range and can finish at the rim, but finishing the rim is problematic in my scenario.  He is a maybe.

Nesbitt, if he wasn't a freshman I'd say yes.  He can get his shot off the dribble and could take it to the rim if there is an opening.  He is also a maybe.

I guess I'm looking at Hargrove or Nesbitt to take that shot.  Really wish we had Perkins!

4 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Don't really have one.  It's Yuri trying to create for someone else.  He takes the shot if everyone else is covered.

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is the answer.

Just now, dlarry said:

This.

Whoever Yuri passes open takes the shot Yuri created for them.

You guys are right - This is the right answer. But if Jimerson had hit 6 3's in the game so far or Nesbitt had scored 20 points, I am probably getting them the shot even if it does mean they have extra attention from the defense.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

You guys are right - This is the right answer. But if Jimerson had hit 6 3's in the game so far or Nesbitt had scored 20 points, I am probably getting them the shot even if it does mean they have extra attention from the defense.

Gibson can't really create for himself, which makes it hard to see it being him.  All his shots are either off the pass or a few dribbles after a guy closes on him at the 3 point line.  Nesbitt may be the answer in 2 months, but we'll see.  

There may be some benefit to having this arrangement as long as Yuri can handle it.  I often think teams go iso too early and/or too much late in games.  I understand wanting your best player to take the shots down the stretch, but seems like offenses don't work nearly as well when they do.  Keep running your offense that you've run for the prior 36 minutes of the game.

slufan13 likes this

1 minute ago, SShoe said:

Gibson can't really create for himself, which makes it hard to see it being him.  All his shots are either off the pass or a few dribbles after a guy closes on him at the 3 point line.  Nesbitt may be the answer in 2 months, but we'll see.  

There may be some benefit to having this arrangement as long as Yuri can handle it.  I often think teams go iso too early and/or too much late in games.  I understand wanting your best player to take the shots down the stretch, but seems like offenses don't work nearly as well when they do.  Keep running your offense that you've run for the prior 36 minutes of the game.

Essentially I'm running a set to get Nesbitt and Jimerson open. Give Yuri the autonomy to pick which one gets the shot. Bonus points if Linssen finds some space and can get a chance at the rim.

SShoe likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who was Michigan State's closer when Mateen Cleaves was their point guard?  I don't think it was Cleaves.  As other posters have stated, I think it was whoever the point guard passed it to.  

I imagine Morris Peterson if I had to guess (and if this wasn't intentionally rhetorical). :)

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Put it in Yuri's hands... but I wouldn't be mad whatever the outcome if TJ or Nesbitt gets the shot. TJ hit a big shot at La Salle his freshman year, and I think Nesbitt can do the same.

I think the best shot left open would be a TJ 3 pointer honestly. It's a very low key weapon that isn't talked about, IMO.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the best shot left open would be a TJ 3 pointer honestly. It's a very low key weapon that isn't talked about, IMO.

I would like to see him shoot the 3 more. I know the sample size is relatively low but would like to see if he can continue to make it in volume. 

It is closer by committee chosen by Yuri or Jones until one of the players step up and show they will not panic and turn the ball over.

Nesbitt, Hargrove, and Jimerson have turned the ball over too much so I am comfortable with Yuri picking the hot hand.

Defenses will always swarm the best player however with that said Perkins would be an obvious choice if he could play and would get the job done.

All things being equal, I would take Nesbitt if we needed someone to get his own shot.  Jimerson would be a close second if we could get him one on one at the three point line where he could either shoot, if he had the shot, or fake a desperate defender and take a few steps for a pull up jumper.

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is closer by committee chosen by Yuri or Jones until one of the players step up and show they will not panic and turn the ball over.

Nesbitt, Hargrove, and Jimerson have turned the ball over too much so I am comfortable with Yuri picking the hot hand.

Defenses will always swarm the best player however with that said Perkins would be an obvious choice if he could play and would get the job done.

Huh?  Nesbitt turns the ball over 0.4 times per game and he's often our secondary ballhandler.