5 Things We Learned Over The Long Weekend

mrjoelabs

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I think out of necessity we will see Williams because of Thatch still dealing with the cramping issue.  When coach Ford spoke of cramping in the SFA game that is concerning because Fred has made himself in the last few games into a very productive player.  It appears back to back games could be an issue so I think we could see more Williams.

I think we all would like to see what Williams can deliver. So far that hasn’t happened.

My guesses are that he has defense issues, or Ford is iron clad on a 8 man rotation. Don’t know. 

1 minute ago, HoosierPal said:

I think we all would like to see what Williams can deliver. So far that hasn’t happened.

My guesses are that he has defense issues, or Ford is iron clad on a 8 man rotation. Don’t know. 

Agree 100 percent about coach Ford he says that on his interviews about the 8 plus 2 player rotations.

Probably defense and Williams has not shot well either in a small sample size.  When Williams has been out there I just have not seen anything from him, I hope that changes.

billiken_roy likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I don't see it changing either. Maybe there will be a game or two where we go 9-10 deep because of foul trouble or game flow but those will be the exceptions. If anything, I could see the rotation getting cut down. I probably wouldn't do that but Ford has shown a willingness to play 3 or 4 guys for 30+ minutes in a game from time to time.

A thought I've been having a lot lately is what our rotation would look like if Perkins was playing. I can't really figure out who would be out of the rotation. 

Linssen/Okoro - Maybe a decrease in minutes if we went small but both would play regularly and be part of the rotation

Jimerson/Hargrove/Nesbitt - Again probably less minutes but still big factors

Collins - Probably the only player whose minutes don't change

Jones - His main role is to back up Collins so I don't see his minutes really changing either

Thatch - He's probably the most likely but Ford seems to give him the benefit of the doubt more than anyone on the roster

My first thought was that Perkins' minutes would just come from decreased minutes from everyone else but that's not really what Ford prefers. It's a meaningless question because it doesn't matter and we'll never have the answer but I've been pretty curious about how the rotation would look

If Perkins was healthy I think there would be nights that we’d hardly see Nesbitt and much less of Hargrove. It would probably drive us nuts too except that Perkins is THAT good.

2 hours ago, bauman said:

Two words make it a great location:   Lobster Rolls.  Eat 'em for lunch and dinner.

Fly into either Providence or Hartford and you'll be close.  If snow isn't an issue then Thanksgiving in NE is fantastic.

Lobster Rolls + Full belly fried clams (not strips) and you’ll be in epicurean heaven. 

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Emoni Bates is a helluva talent but I'm not sure he's a point guard.  And if he isn't the point guard I'm not sure Memphis has one.  That limits their ceiling.

There's the rub. Finding a PG that controls the offense is likely how the Tigers would get down to 11 TOs a game. Can the best PG in Memphis history (sorry D Rose and Elliott Perry) develop that player? I'm not counting Penny out on that possibility.

I’m thinking SLU has never travelled as well as Dayton and its why we get ignored. And this year Charleston became victim to the Brown wave. Bonnie fans were everywhere and loud during the games. I had reservations for last years ESPN Orlando tourney, but, alas, the Covid did us in. Another aspect of the SLU curse. 

9 hours ago, slu72 said:

I’m thinking SLU has never travelled as well as Dayton and its why we get ignored. And this year Charleston became victim to the Brown wave. Bonnie fans were everywhere and loud during the games. I had reservations for last years ESPN Orlando tourney, but, alas, the Covid did us in. Another aspect of the SLU curse. 

We don't really travel well even to Compton or across campus :(

11 hours ago, slu72 said:

You are correct. I really wish more people would travel. I have no problem doing it especially if its a car trip

Littlebill likes this

The problem is until the mid 80’s or so, SLU didn’t take basketball seriously which led to lost generations of fandom. Not to mention we had all four major sports in that timeframe which took away attention from the program. Now we only have the Blues to compete against. Win and win consistently and the fanbase will grow.

26 minutes ago, Brighton said:

The problem is until the mid 80’s or so, SLU didn’t take basketball seriously which led to lost generations of fandom. Not to mention we had all four major sports in that timeframe which took away attention from the program. Now we only have the Blues to compete against. Win and win consistently and the fanbase will grow.

Spoon ball in the great Midwest conference and conference USA filled the hockey arena I was at those games.  SLU was top 20 in attendance.

We did travel well to Columbus for the NCAA's in 11-12. Large contingent was at that bar right across the street and in the stands. But Columbus is like what 6 hours from St. L? I flew up from CHS as I got free tickets and a place to stay. Still, I think I would have gone even without those amenities. I will travel to Davidson for this season's game. In CUSA, I always made the Charlotte games. But those are an easy 4 hour road trip and a one night stay. I would go to any early season or NCAA game(s) in FL or the Southeast in general. I remain hopeful some year soon we get an invite to either the Myrtle Beach or Charleston holiday tourneys which always have good fields. However, I think our rep for not travelling well keeps us from consideration. They know if they invite Dayton, Davidson, or the VA teams they're gonna get good turnouts from those schools, so why gamble on SLU showing up with a 100 tops. I was shocked to see how many St B fans showed up in Charleston. That's not an easy or inexpensive road trip for those crazy Oleanders. It's 800 miles as the crow flies, same as from ST. Louis, Plus 4 nights in Charleston hotels will easily run you $800 to a $1,000. Add to that food and drink, and you're looking at around $2,000 over and above transportation. It's hard to find cheap restaurants in Charleston, unless you like Church's chicken and McD's.  MB maybe a little cheaper but not much. When Dayton plays in Charleston or MB, they pack the joint too and that's a road trip of at least 10-12 hours, from St.Louis it's roughly only 2 hours longer. But those crazed SVU'ers have a solid travel history, whereas, SLU has virtually none.