GDT: SLU vs. SFA

That is OK Roy, I dealt with disability benefits for many years and know that lots of people never recover to a level they can do what they were doing before the injury. This applies to normal  people receiving normal care. Theory may say that with unlimited means it can be done. I merely say I doubt it. Truthfully, I never saw a case where unlimited means were applied to anyone's rehab. Maybe it can be done but I do not think this is a run of the mill type of situation, and I really know of no one that did it successfully. Maybe he knows of someone that successfully did it, maybe he is just talking about what is theoretically possible.

Anyway we have Perkins as a test subject, will he be able to  play from the word go as he was before the injury if he comes back? Will he fit the expectations of those that dream of Perkins coming back in his full glory? I really do not know but I do not think this will happen.

A case that comes to mind is Okoro. I think he was playing well with another team until he was out with an injury (ACL tear?) and did not play for some time before he transferred to SLU. When he started playing for SLU, in those initial games, was he playing well? I do not think so, it took him some time to get his bearings and feel for the game. He is playing well enough now but I think he can improve more with time and play. Is this clear now? Perkins is unlikely to come back to play just as good as he was before from the very first game he plays. He may improve during the season, I am sure he can, but playing like he was a second coming of the Perkins that started this season is not likely.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

That is OK Roy, I dealt with disability benefits for many years and know that lots of people never recover to a level they can do what they were doing before the injury. This applies to normal  people receiving normal care. Theory may say that with unlimited means it can be done. I merely say I doubt it. Truthfully, I never saw a case where unlimited means were applied to anyone's rehab. Maybe it can be done but I do not think this is a run of the mill type of situation, and I really know of no one that did it successfully. Maybe he knows of someone that successfully did it, maybe he is just talking about what is theoretically possible.

Anyway we have Perkins as a test subject, will he be able to  play from the word go as he was before the injury if he comes back? Will he fit the expectations of those that dream of Perkins coming back in his full glory? I really do not know but I do not think this will happen.

A case that comes to mind is Okoro. I think he was playing well with another team until he was out with an injury (ACL tear?) and did not play for some time before he transferred to SLU. When he started playing for SLU, in those initial games, was he playing well? I do not think so, it took him some time to get his bearings and feel for the game. He is playing well enough now but I think he can improve more with time and play. Is this clear now? Perkins is unlikely to come back to play just as good as he was before from the very first game he plays. He may improve during the season, I am sure he can, but playing like he was a second coming of the Perkins that started this season is not likely.

Okoro hurt his shoulder, not his ACL. The point you are making is not complicated, we can all understand it (sometimes players coming back from injury do not immediately perform at their prior level). I am assuming you never saw Okoro play before he came to SLU, so not sure what standard you are comparing his current play to in your above example?

There are many basketball players in tbe NBA/NCAA who have returned from ACL tears within 12 months and performed at a level as high or higher than their prior level. There are also examples of players who have taken longer to return or performed worse when they did before the injury. We have no reason to believe Perkins will be in the latter category as of now. The timing of his injury and surgery will give him a chance to be back to 100% health by/around the start of next season. We’ll find out next season, but at this point we can feel confident knowing we have a good medical/rehab team around him and that Perkins has demonstrated a work ethic that will enable him to take rehab seriously.

rgbilliken likes this

The funny thing is OG’s original post that I replied to didn’t mention the injury as a reason for Perkins not be able to assume his leading role. It actually seems to me like he was insinuating that he would have been passed up by improvements from others. 

On 11/27/2021 at 9:56 AM, Old guy said:

Whatever Perkins decides to do, we should all realize that he has lots of options available to him and is probably getting lots of "advice" from all kinds of sources. He will have to make up his mind about what is the best choice.

One possibility no one has talked about is that by the time next season rolls along, SLU will have played a whole season without him. If we have good success without Perkins this year, as we all hope to have, Perkins may not be able to occupy the star position that would have been his this year. He may come back in but he may not be in the same position within the team that he would have had this season. He may not like that, he may expect to go back to the way it was prior to this season. That may be a reason to try elsewhere next year.

This was the original post. Certainly doesn’t feel like you’re talking about the injury being what stops him from “occupying his star position”

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

This was the original post. Certainly doesn’t feel like you’re talking about the injury being what stops him from “occupying his star position”

No, I still think he will be able to play next season. If he chooses to stay, I do not think he will be what he was at the beginning of this season. If he wants to make a career out of basketball he has to be able to play next season and most likely will play somewhere, including SLU.

The key issue here is what will his play be like when he actually plays?