GDT: SLU vs. SFA

i think ford's ill advised decision to walk the ball up the floor Wednesday night also added to collins problem.   i say that tactic gave sfa the opportunity to get back and set up on defense.   and then any chance for advantage breaks were gone yet collins is hard wired to pass pass pass.   so pass he did often to sfa or at least in a vicinity that was vulnerable.  

i am sure some of you will say that playing fast is sfa's game and if we tried to play that as well it would be falling into their delights.   i say b.s. we should be able to out fast a team that much lower on the food chain than us.   and if we dont have the confidence to continue to play that way, well we got a problem.  

lucky for us our talent indeed was better.   and we made enough free throws (compared to previous ford billiken squads) to win the game.  

if we want collins to be our point guard, then turn him the hell loose.   one of the best days of the yuri collins era was the game last year (cant remember the opponent.  not important) when we were struggling vs a lesser opponent and reportedly collins said to goodwin, "run with me.  we are going to run."  and the game turned around from that point forward. 

i say collins needs to say to the likes of hargrove and nesbit, "run with me.  we are going to run."  it worked before let's ride that pony till the end.  

kmbilliken likes this

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.  We don't have any real knock down shooters yet.  Sure Jimerson is coming on this year and so is Hargrove.  I'm okay with them being spotted three to five a game.  But who on this team would you like to set up to shoot jumpers?  And would it really be Hargrove each possession?  Again, like last year and the year before, I'd zone this team to start and see what happens.  That too says "let 'em run."

25 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I agree.  We don't have any real knock down shooters yet.  Sure Jimerson is coming on this year and so is Hargrove.  I'm okay with them being spotted three to five a game.  But who on this team would you like to set up to shoot jumpers?  And would it really be Hargrove each possession?  Again, like last year and the year before, I'd zone this team to start and see what happens.  That too says "let 'em run."

I’d let Jimerson, Hargrove, Jones, Nesbitt and Williams (if he ever starts to see the floor more) all have the green light on jumpers. We’ve got guys that can hit shots. But you can’t hit a jumper if we turn the ball over. Cut down the turnovers and everything else will look that much better.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I recognize anyone can change their mind.  I also recognize everyone has an opinion on what a certain player sure do given his money-making opportunities.  Unlike Davidson, St. Bonaventure has a grad school where their kids can continue their education.  That is still an NCAA requirement, being a full time (12 credit hours) student to pass and play.  

All I was trying to say is that it's basically useless to speculate who will and won't return for the COVID season until after the year. As you helpfully point, anyone from St. Bona or SLU CAN return if they want to. But I think my guess, your source's guess, or anyone's guess is pretty much pure speculation at this point.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

i think ford's ill advised decision to walk the ball up the floor Wednesday night also added to collins problem.   i say that tactic gave sfa the opportunity to get back and set up on defense.   and then any chance for advantage breaks were gone yet collins is hard wired to pass pass pass.   so pass he did often to sfa or at least in a vicinity that was vulnerable.  

i am sure some of you will say that playing fast is sfa's game and if we tried to play that as well it would be falling into their delights.   i say b.s. we should be able to out fast a team that much lower on the food chain than us.   and if we dont have the confidence to continue to play that way, well we got a problem.  

lucky for us our talent indeed was better.   and we made enough free throws (compared to previous ford billiken squads) to win the game.  

if we want collins to be our point guard, then turn him the hell loose.   one of the best days of the yuri collins era was the game last year (cant remember the opponent.  not important) when we were struggling vs a lesser opponent and reportedly collins said to goodwin, "run with me.  we are going to run."  and the game turned around from that point forward. 

i say collins needs to say to the likes of hargrove and nesbit, "run with me.  we are going to run."  it worked before let's ride that pony till the end.  

The SFA game we won by what 12 pts - walking the ball was not an issue in that game.  Now against IL state i agree depressed that score.

30 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The SFA game we won by what 12 pts - walking the ball was not an issue in that game.  Now against IL state i agree depressed that score.

Yet we still scored 82 points.

I'm not trying to bail Yuri out and say he isn't responsible for the turnovers. I saw a couple of lazy passes, but the faster he plays and the more he pushes the ball, the more likely he is to have a turnover. If he keeps it to a 2-3 Ass/to ration I'm happy. However, there'll be games where he has 10 assists and someone (or many) will be moaning about the 3 turnovers, that one where he blah, blah, blah

Also, When Yuri is double teamed, he's not a big guy, someone has to make themselves available and give him an out. There were a couple of times vs SFA when he was trapped in double team and the other 4 are just standing there looking at him. You can't pass through people. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I would add Nesbitt to your "shooter" list and I'm fine with Yuri shooting 1 or 2 per game to keep defenses honest and give Marten some room inside.  At this point it appears that TF is not going to use Williams unless something changes.  Maybe Jones can be included in the "shooter" group.

31 minutes ago, bauman said:

I would add Nesbitt to your "shooter" list and I'm fine with Yuri shooting 1 or 2 per game to keep defenses honest and give Marten some room inside.  At this point it appears that TF is not going to use Williams unless something changes.  Maybe Jones can be included in the "shooter" group.

Based on his history of turnovers, Jones has been a tremendous surprise.  It will be hard for Williams to get on the floor if Jones' miserly turnover numbers continue.  Coach Ford loves backup guards that don't turn over the ball.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Yet we still scored 82 points.

I'm not trying to bail Yuri out and say he isn't responsible for the turnovers. I saw a couple of lazy passes, but the faster he plays and the more he pushes the ball, the more likely he is to have a turnover. If he keeps it to a 2-3 Ass/to ration I'm happy. However, there'll be games where he has 10 assists and someone (or many) will be moaning about the 3 turnovers, that one where he blah, blah, blah

Also, When Yuri is double teamed, he's not a big guy, someone has to make themselves available and give him an out. There were a couple of times vs SFA when he was trapped in double team and the other 4 are just standing there looking at him. You can't pass through people. 

My point simply was that I did not have a problem with what Ford did with Yuri for the SFA game.  I do think by taking it slow against ILstate that he did depress the score.  I don't have a problem as long as the win.  It was Roy who not happy with approach Ford took with SFA.

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Based on his history of turnovers, Jones has been a tremendous surprise.  It will be hard for Williams to get on the floor if Jones' miserly turnover numbers continue.  Coach Ford loves backup guards that don't turn over the ball.

Speaking of turnovers someone needs to teach TJ to come to the ball. 

slufanskip likes this

I disagree with all the posters who say take the $$$ and run .  At this point he will be considered damaged goods by any pro team which would limit his ability to make any serious money.  He obviously likes being in the STL Metro area (Belleville and SLU) and has plans on working with the SLU staff, Doctors and trainers, on getting to the point of playing again.  He certainly will not be drafted by an NBA team coming off  a year not playing due to an ACL.  Probably his best chance to make any reasonable money is overseas and I have a feeling that he would prefer to Not do that as he returns to the court.  In any case, I don't think he would get rich overseas, but on a Billiken team next year, which could likely be a Conference favorite and NCAA tournament team, and as a local, well-known athlete he can probably secure some local NIL sponsors.  All of this while probably securing a Masters degree.

I think he spent many hours working with SLU staff on developing his upper body to show pro teams that he can compete physically with other pro's.  Unfortunately, with his injury, he has not been able to show that part of his game.

For all the "go-pro group because he shouldn't risk a career-ending injury", well that just tells me that further damage to his knee would likely occur regardless of he is at SLU or in Europe.  If it happens at SLU, at least he would have a Masters degree to use in the business community, if it happens in Europe, no Masters degree and no more basketball.  He can talk to D Roby on what playing in Europe is like.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's not a decision I would make, but if he feels he has unfinished business on the court, I totally understand.  He and Billiken Nation could both get the storybook ending we want.

Totally agree. All I want is what’s best for Perk. If he chooses to come back, I’ll be his most vocal supporter. If he chooses to leave, I will absolutely understand and still be his most vocal supporter. But I think the decision is more complicated than money versus school. His family lives in the area. He has unfinished business. Maybe his education is a priority to him. I just want what’s best for him, and whatever he decides, I’ll be happy for him.

drkelsey55 likes this

It's not a decision I would make, but if he feels he has unfinished business on the court, I totally understand.  He and Billiken Nation could both get the storybook ending we want.

In my opinion it all comes down to the timing of his knee recovery. Dwayne Evans had to sit out for a year because he couldn’t get pro opportunities while waiting to heal up. Perkins will likely not be back by the NBA draft or the start of European seasons. I usually agree with taking the money when you can, but if his options are SLU or Puerto Rico, I don’t think it’s a bad idea to play another year of college.

I think it will come down to what scouts tell him.

If he had a shot at the NBA and now he’s being told “we need to see how your knee holds up.” 
It might be worth it to come back.

If he was told “your future is in Europe you just don’t have enough to make the league.” 
He might as well take the money.

If he wants to be a doctor he should definitely come back.

3 hours ago, dlarry said:

I think it will come down to what scouts tell him.

If he had a shot at the NBA and now he’s being told “we need to see how your knee holds up.” 
It might be worth it to come back.

If he was told “your future is in Europe you just don’t have enough to make the league.” 
He might as well take the money.

If he wants to be a doctor he should definitely come back.

NBA scouts are active in Europe. If they have interest in Perkins they will follow him if he chosen that path. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

NBA scouts are active in Europe. If they have interest in Perkins they will follow him if he chosen that path. 

Definitely.

Just my opinion but I bet he is more likely to come back if he’s told he has an NBA chance as opposed to hearing you’re going to Europe. 

16 hours ago, TheOne said:

As of now, Perkins plans to be a billiken next year

After Javonte went down, I was really skeptical he’d return, but it makes more sense every day. ACLs take 12-16 months to get back to full strength after a successful surgery. The question is going to boil down to: do you want to get back to speed on the court at home at SLU, or abroad? While JP could have a shot at the NBA or G-League, it seems far more likely he’d have to go to Europe first. Maybe he’d rather get his first game action here in a place where he’s comfortable. 

billikenbill likes this