GDT: SLU vs. SFA

9 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

In the last two games, we’ve really given opposing coaches the game plan to beat us:

1. Press

2. Run a zone defense

3. Double team/pressure Yuri

Well then I guess the Zags just showed the world how to beat UCLA.  Yuri for the most part handled the ball when bringing it down fine, the zone defense is something that gives lots of teams trouble since they don't see it very often - if other teams use it against us a lot then we will adjust and be better at it.  Pressing - well that is ditto to the zone item.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Co-sign. We're fans of a mid-major program with two strong runs in 50 years.  We appear to be in the midst of a third one.  Almost every program in the A-10 would love to trade places with us.  Yet our game threads don't seem any happier than teams who are actually losing games. 

If you're miserable when we're losing games AND you're miserable when we're winning games, then what's the point?  The games where everything goes right happen a handful of times a year, at best.

Actually we are much better off than we were last year, if nothing else this team can make FTs and win a game on FTs and defense. This was not the case last year.

As far as your point that the fans are miserable when we are winning and when we are losing, you are onto something here. The perma-miserable fans appear to cultivate self-victimization and being put down. If that is what makes them happy, let them do it, it is the way they choose to go through life.

I feel like people can’t detach themselves from the limited possession Billikens of years past where any live ball turnover was a recipe for devastating consequences. When we play with increased pace, the bone head plays are painful but not as painful as when we would barely break 60.  

Let’s have a good week of practice and compete in Idaho.  Very curious to see the Wiz spread on that one 

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, Billiken Rich said:

blah blah vegas blah blah blah blah blah blah vegas blah blah blah blah blah vegas blah blah blah............

Respectfully Rich I consider you one of my favorite posters on this site I know old guy he and his wife are good people and fans and he is a retired MD, just saying.

Happy Thanksgiving 

billikenbill and Ironbills like this

10 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I feel like people can’t detach themselves from the limited possession Billikens of years past where any live ball turnover was a recipe for devastating consequences. When we play with increased pace, the bone head plays are painful but not as painful as when we would barely break 60.  

Let’s have a good week of practice and compete in Idaho.  Very curious to see the Wiz spread on that one 

The turnovers get under my skin but you are spot on with your post.

I have liked this team before the start of the season and it does the one thing I love, score and score a lot.

So far the 20 points a game that Perkins would have scored is being made up by committee.  Thatch, Linssen, Jones, Nesbitt, Collins and Jimerson.

14 hours ago, NH said:

The negativity in these threads is crazy to me. We just won two neutral site games against real opponents. Don’t get me wrong, there are many areas we can improve on. But I’m ecstatic to be 6-1 right now. We lost our best player and have responded in a really positive manner. Roll bills.

Roll Bills this season and next -- everyone should return except for Jones and anyone not getting enough PT.

32 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Do you think Martin will return?

I'm going to sponsor an NIL deal for him.   Possibly sourcing some kackwurst from chi-town to sweeten the deal.

brianstl likes this

Speaking on next year ---- what is Perkins' status?

In a similar area on a different team, I have it on good authority that all five Bonnie "juniors" are indeed seniors and will graduate and move on.  

14 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Speaking on next year ---- what is Perkins' status?

In a similar area on a different team, I have it on good authority that all five Bonnie "juniors" are indeed seniors and will graduate and move on.  

We won’t know Perkins’ status until later in the year. He can come back if he wants. My guess is it will depend on where he’s at in his recovery and what his pro opportunities look like. If he has a shot to make good money I think he should take it.

In terms of the bonnies guys, they have plenty of time to change their mind if they decide they do want to come back. 

1 hour ago, NH said:

We won’t know Perkins’ status until later in the year. He can come back if he wants. My guess is it will depend on where he’s at in his recovery and what his pro opportunities look like. If he has a shot to make good money I think he should take it.

In terms of the bonnies guys, they have plenty of time to change their mind if they decide they do want to come back. 

My guess is he goes for the money. He can play here out of rehab or he can play for $ out of rehab. Unless he gets a six figure NIL deal to stay, he goes.  Scouts will track him wherever he plays. 

2 hours ago, NH said:

The Bonnie’s Iron 5 are all in their 4th season. They all could come back on a Covid year. Guessing some will and some won’t. Lofton can make money at this game. Some foreign team will pay Osunniyi a decent wage. 

13 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Co-sign. We're fans of a mid-major program with two strong runs in 50 years.  We appear to be in the midst of a third one.  Almost every program in the A-10 would love to trade places with us.  Yet our game threads don't seem any happier than teams who are actually losing games. 

If you're miserable when we're losing games AND you're miserable when we're winning games, then what's the point?  The games where everything goes right happen a handful of times a year, at best.

We’re turning it over WAY TOO MUCH, including some really unforced errors. I feel like we’re getting beat a little too much in 1on1, man to man defense, forcing us to help. That being said,  I’m ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC about where we are as a team right now! We already had a lot of newcomers and question marks coming into the season. Then we lost a gigantic part of our offensive identity in the 1st exhibition game. We’re, quite literally, learning on the fly right now. And we’re 6-1 with our only loss coming against a top-10 team in the country. Is there any doubt in anybody’s mind that, at least at this point in the season, we’re the 2nd best team in the A10? Who could’ve really predicted that immediately after Perk’s injury? We’ve been far from perfect. At some points, it’s been downright ugly. AND WE’RE STILL 6-1! We’re only going to get better as the season goes on. I’m so so happy with how the guys have responded. 

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

We’re turning it over WAY TOO MUCH, including some really unforced errors. I feel like we’re getting beat a little too much in 1on1, man to man defense, forcing us to help. That being said,  I’m ABSOLUTELY ECSTATIC about where we are as a team right now! We already had a lot of newcomers and question marks coming into the season. Then we lost a gigantic part of our offensive identity in the 1st exhibition game. We’re, quite literally, learning on the fly right now. And we’re 6-1 with our only loss coming against a top-10 team in the country. Is there any doubt in anybody’s mind that, at least at this point in the season, we’re the 2nd best team in the A10? Who could’ve really predicted that immediately after Perk’s injury? We’ve been far from perfect. At some points, it’s been downright ugly. AND WE’RE STILL 6-1! We’re only going to get better as the season goes on. I’m so so happy with how the guys have responded. 

We turned it over a lot in Cancun, because Yuri turned it over a lot in Cancun. So did Hargrove in the first game. Just a couple of guys living the dream on a beach in Cancun, and not living a smart baller lifestyle. Look, Yuri has two previous years to show that this was an anomaly. I think any other concern is unfounded.

22 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I am waiting for the data  from the Boise / Cal-St  game which will be played tonight.  I can tell you this ....Boise  is a difficult place to play....one of the toughest venues in D-1.  I will probably favor Boise in a close game.

I recognize anyone can change their mind.  I also recognize everyone has an opinion on what a certain player sure do given his money-making opportunities.  Unlike Davidson, St. Bonaventure has a grad school where their kids can continue their education.  That is still an NCAA requirement, being a full time (12 credit hours) student to pass and play.  

Our turnovers are alarming given Collins rep and seasoning.  I was watching the VCU/Baylor game last night and the color guy kept harping on how Baylor should NOT run ball screens for their point guard Akinjo because it was bringing a second defender to Akinjo and that defender, as we all know VCU, was taller and just as quick and athletic as Akinjo.  Baylot's turnovers were up in the first half.  The second half, Drew corrected this and ran different sets, essentially taking the double team away from VCU.

In our game against SFA, Keller kept bringing the screener's man right to Collins.  This resulted in at least three turnovers in passes to Hargrave that were either bad passes or stolen by a third man cutting into the passing lanes.  Plus, if you think about it, outside of TOs, the double team takes the ball out of the guy who is our engine.  Hargrove either never got the ball or froze, when in reality he was the lead in three-on-two to the back line  of defenders.  Hargrove doesn't have this part of his game down just yet.  ISU the night before, kept running guys one-on-one at Collins to wear him down.  Get used to it.  The good news is that it's an either/or proposition.  Very risky to run a jump and trap pattern off a zone, too many holes.  But if its helter-skelter you want, and you have a weak secondary ballhandling team as we seem to have, you can take a chance(s).  VCU will.

I think this is why Ford has gone to playing Collins and Jones at the same time.  Jones, while small, is a better secondary handler than Linssen, Hargrove, Thatch, Okoro and Jimerson and Nesbitt is still only a freshman.  Lots of things for guys to work on as the season progresses.

BuiltFordBills likes this