Loyola to A10

basebill123

This is great news.  SLU has a good presence in Chicago already.  The University already recruits well from the city, and it has a good number of alums in the Chicago area.  This will only help to solidify that relationship.  Lots of kids in Chicago who want to get away for college will be more likely consider SLU the more they know about it.  From a University and student recruitment perspective, and from an alumni perspective, this is a home run.

From an athletic perspective, I still think it is great news.  Easy road trips between the two cities.  SLU fans will love their road-trips to Chicago, one of the best cities in America.  Good rivalry between two good Jesuit institutions.  The move will help Loyola recruit better athletes, but it should also help SLU recruit Chicago athletes better as well.  A lot of great basketball and soccer players have come out of Chicago, just to name the two sports I follow the most.  The move sets up a great rivalry between the two schools.  Maybe I'm biased because I love the city of Chicago, and I love the fact that another Jesuit institution is joining the A10, but I don't see any downside to this development.

From the perspective of having a new possible road trip location - Great

From the perspective of feeling the A-10 isn't considering us outsiders because of our location - Great

From the perspective of increasing the level of competition in the A-10 - Meh

4 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

From the perspective of having a new possible road trip location - Great

From the perspective of feeling the A-10 isn't considering us outsiders because of our location - Great

From the perspective of increasing the level of competition in the A-10 - Meh

I think adding Loyola Chicago is a good move, both for the A10 and for Loyola.

The A10 needs to add one more team to make 16, as 15 teams is unwieldy from a scheduling perspective.  I'm fine with bringing back Temple, which has a strong basketball tradition in the A10 and Philly Big 5, or in adding Wichita State, if either are possibilities.  I suspect the East Coast A10 teams would rather have Temple, and given Loyola in the Midwest was just added, I wouldn't be surprised if Member 16 comes from the East.

15 or 16 work out for 18 game conference schedule.  15

West- Dayton, Duquesne, Loyola,Loyola,. Bonaventure,  and SLU

North- Fordham,LaSalleRhode IUMASS, St.. Joseph 's and UMass,,

East-Davidson,  George Mason, GW, Richmond, and VCU 

play division twice( 8 games) the everyone else once ( 10 games)

16 4 -4 team divisions play division twice everyone else once,  6 +12.  

Could add couple crossover games make 20

RUBillsFan likes this

9 minutes ago, BLIKNS said:

15 or 16 work out for 18 game conference schedule.  15

West- Dayton, Duquesne, Loyola,Loyola,. Bonaventure,  and SLU

North- Fordham,LaSalleRhode IUMASS, St.. Joseph 's and UMass,,

East-Davidson,  George Mason, GW, Richmond, and VCU 

play division twice( 8 games) the everyone else once ( 10 games)

16 4 -4 team divisions play division twice everyone else once,  6 +12.  

Could add couple crossover games make 20

If you recall we had three divisions in CUSA for awhile. It didn’t work out too well.