Loyola Chicago joining A10

JMM28

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

I heard that Loyola to the A-10 is not yet official.  The final contract will not be signed until they agree to shorten their nickname from the Ramblers to the Rams.  The A-10 only has 3 Rams teams and is in dire need of a 4th.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Compton said:

I don't see the appeal for the MVC. I guess the media market is the main attraction, but geographic coherence (and lower travel costs) seems more valuable than chasing phantom media dollars via a market's #4 D-I program (without including UT, Baylor, A&M, or Tech, who probably account for most of the eyeballs/attention).

The MVC has regressed by losing Creighton, Wichita St., and Loyola. But they've made the best of a bad situation by adding Valpo, Belmont, and now Murray St. Adding UTA seems like it'd be a break from that track record - being a white knight for no apparent reason.

UTA should look to the WAC or Summit.

It's certainly more of a conference-padding add than one that makes them stronger at the top, like Belmont and Murray State will. I still think the Valley has done better than most other conferences, given the departures they've been dealt. There's also a numbers issue now; adding Murray State gives the Valley 11 teams but do they really want a 20-game schedule? I'm guessing they'd rather stick with 18 and try to get some more non-conference games. So 12 could make sense from that standpoint, to have some opponents twice and a few just once.

UTA is in a tough spot. The WAC would have been a big downward move in any recent year but suddenly has a bunch of Texas schools and looks at least somewhat reasonable on paper. Still a demotion, though. The Summit is probably stronger but is at 10 currently and probably not making a move unless they can get someone really strong or if KC gets a Valley invite instead of UTA.

9 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Dating myself but I remember when the WAC had Utah, New Mexico, UNLV, etc. It doesn't seem that long ago, i guess 20 years. How they morphed from the best non power conference to being made up of random newly promoted d-1 teams would be a fascinating read.

The WAC has been a wild ride for sure. Last season it was New Mexico State, Grand Canyon - the only for-profit school in the NCAA, Chicago State - which is leaving because it's struggling so badly, Seattle - which would love to be in the WCC but can't get there, and then several of the most recent D-I call-ups - Utah Valley, Cal Baptist, Tarleton State, Dixie State (soon to be Utah Tech), and UTRGV, which was formed by the merger of two other Texas schools not that long ago. Wack, indeed. But then they added 4 of the stronger Southland programs and it suddenly makes a little sense, even if Sam Houston State is already leaving.

The WCC is losing BYU at some point to the Big XII.  That opens up a spot in the WCC.  The contenders are Grand Canyon and Seattle U (a former WCC member before it dropped to D-2.  Seattle has since resurfaced in D-1, now in the WAC).  The word is Grand Canyon (also currently in the WAC), in the Phoenix market, made a recent (prior) bid to join the WCC and is now believed to be in the #1 position for WCC expansion.  

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The WCC is losing BYU at some point to the Big XII.  That opens up a spot in the WCC.  The contenders are Grand Canyon and Seattle U (a former WCC member before it dropped to D-2.  Seattle has since resurfaced in D-1, now in the WAC).  The word is Grand Canyon (also currently in the WAC), in the Phoenix market, made a recent (prior) bid to join the WCC and is now believed to be in the #1 position for WCC expansion.  

I have no doubt that GCU would outmuscle Seattle for that spot because it's not about institutional alignment anymore - and Seattle has way more in common with the WCC schools than GCU.

We missed the boat on adding Belmont in addition to Loyola. Nashville is growing like a weed on steroids and it’s almost Midwest. That could have set up MW and EC divisions for the conference. 
MW

SLU

UD

LOYOLA

BELMONT

DUQUESNE

ST B’s 

Davidson

EC

FORDHAM

UMASS

URI

ST JOES

LASALLE

RICH 

VCU

GM

ARon likes this

1 hour ago, CenHudDude said:

I heard that Loyola to the A-10 is not yet official.  The final contract will not be signed until they agree to shorten their nickname from the Ramblers to the Rams.  The A-10 only has 3 Rams teams and is in dire need of a 4th.

I heard they're also being forced to move their campus to either Richmond or Philadelphia.

cgeldmacher likes this

37 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We missed the boat on adding Belmont in addition to Loyola. Nashville is growing like a weed on steroids and it’s almost Midwest. That could have set up MW and EC divisions for the conference. 
MW

SLU

UD

LOYOLA

BELMONT

DUQUESNE

ST B’s 

Davidson

EC

FORDHAM

UMASS

URI

ST JOES

LASALLE

RICH 

VCU

GM

The A10 can add Belmont at anytime.  I want them in the conference. It could still happen.  I don't think we are necessarily done with an A10 shake up.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The A10 can add Belmont at anytime.  I want them in the conference. It could still happen.  I don't think we are necessarily done with an A10 shake up.

I kinda like that they're going to MVC now.  It gives A10 a chance to figure out if they can compete at a slightly higher level

5 hours ago, Pistol said:

The Summit is probably stronger but is at 10 currently and probably not making a move unless..... KC gets a Valley invite instead of UTA.

That'd be an interesting turn of events, and actually would make a lot of sense. I remember when the MVC added Valpo they had also made campus visits to Nebraska-Omaha and UW-Milwaukee. UMKC seems comparable to those schools at this point.

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

I kinda like that they're going to MVC now.  It gives A10 a chance to figure out if they can compete at a slightly higher level

I think they’ve answered that question a few times.  One of them being earlier this year against us.

UTA has a pretty good baseball program. They used to play basketball games on a large stage.  Also the alma mater of General Tommy Franks.

23 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Arlington Lamar?

Yep. Class of '79. I only went there for my Sr year. I went to Royal HS in Simi Valley CA for the rest. 

Lamar has historically been an upper echelon football school in Texas. 

A few NFL players including Fred Jackson of the Bills. Also the 400 meter Olympian Jeremy Wariner. 

Plus Taylor Cole 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, Pistol said:

Made official earlier today - Murray State to the MVC starting on July 1st:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/33013789/murray-state-racers-accept-invitation-join-missouri-valley-conference-july

The article also cites UIC as being in the mix with UMKC and UTA as options for further MVC expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

What about St Peter? Jersey City’s preeminent Jesuit university.