Loyola Chicago joining A10

JMM28

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is great news.  SLU has a good presence in Chicago already.  The University already recruits well from the city, and it has a good number of alums in the Chicago area.  This will only help to solidify that relationship.  Lots of kids in Chicago who want to get away for college will be more likely consider SLU the more they know about it.  From a University and student recruitment perspective, and from an alumni perspective, this is a home run.

From an athletic perspective, it is great news.  Easy road trips between the two cities.  SLU fans will love their road-trips to Chicago, one of the best cities in America.  Good rivalry between two good Jesuit institutions.  The move will help Loyola recruit better athletes, but it should also help SLU recruit Chicago athletes better as well.  A lot of great basketball and soccer players have come out of Chicago, just to name the two sports I follow the most.  The move sets up a great rivalry between the two schools.  Maybe I'm biased because I love the city of Chicago, and I love the fact that another Jesuit institution is joining the A10, but I don't see any downside to this development.

I think this means the A10 knows the league is going to have defections soon. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While its nice to have the Ramblers close by, they could easily fall back without Porter there. Hell they weren't even on the radio in Chicago the year they went to the final 4. People care more about the big 10 in Chicago. Our conference is already filled with also rans.

7 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

I think this means the A10 knows the league is going to have defections soon. I'm not sure how I feel about this. While its nice to have the Ramblers close by, they could easily fall back without Porter there. Hell they weren't even on the radio in Chicago the year they went to the final 4. People care more about the big 10 in Chicago. Our conference is already filled with also rans.

Ah yeah and Depaul is in the Big East......If Loyola is an also ran, Depaul is a never was.....  Since the Bulls aren't coming to the A10, who the heck else would you want?

I think this move was done to try to keep SLU and Dayton happy.  The Chicago metro has the most SLU and Dayton alumni outside of their home metros. This is big for SLU and Dayton both for athletic recruiting purposes and for student recruiting purposes.  The A10 with a solid Chicago basketball program is a much better conference for the Billikens.